X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Ranger, The first target above is 7 shots with Hornady custom.

I need to get a better stock support than my shoulder. I can see my heartbeats in the crosshair moving on the target.

Comment

• jcjarmon
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2016

Those heartbeats are suppose to be there. Calm yourself, and take the shoot between the bounce. If your pulse is 60, you've got a full half second to break the trigger. In that half second, the round is over 300 yards away. As for BCA barrels, I sell and shoot stainless BCA barrels in 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.5 Creedmore. With a 24 inch barrel, I can hold 3/4MOA out to 1000 yards, with 6.5 Grendel and Creedmore. I only shoot 5.56 out to 300 yards, but its even tighter. I do not bed with Loctite, but I do torque everything to spec, and bore my own barrel nuts. My 7075 barrel nuts are 4 inches long, and milled for a 1-3/4, 8 point socket that slides over the hole nut with an 1/2 inch receiver for the torque wrench. Hornady 123gr SST works best from what Ive seen, But most barrels like the Amax best.

Comment

• Retro
        Warrior
        • Jul 2016

Has anyone used the BCA 6.5 BCG yet?

Comment

• DTitus
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Retro View Post
          Has anyone used the BCA 6.5 BCG yet?
          I just ordered one today. I'll get back when it comes in.

Comment

• jcjarmon
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Sure have, Got 3 only wall behind me right now. A 20 inch stainless in 5.56, a 24 inch stainless in 6.5 Grendel, and a 24 inch stainless in 6.5 Creedmore. All shoot very well. I polish my feed ramps, and use my own gas blocks and muzzle brakes. I open my gas ports up to .125, and allow the gas block to control the gas to the action. Works better than the standard gas port size, which in a 6.5 barrel is .070 on carbine and mid length gas systems and .090 on rifle length.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I bought some blue Loctite and put some on my side charging bolt handle screw and the thumbscrews on the scope rings. These had been loosening up with shooting. The Loctite is working. No loosening after shooting 4 days ago.

The best group with the 16" BCA Grendel barrel was 4.75 MOA with Wolf steel ammo. I shot at 100 yds. The shots appear to be stringing horizontally.The second group was 7.0 MOA and the third group was 9.25 MOA. The sight picture looked about the same each time.

A few days before that I shot my AA Overwatch 24" Grendel and the best group with Wolf steel ammo was 1.25 MOA at 100 yds.
              The scope thumbscrews had loosened then as well. The second group was 3.5 MOA. After tightening the screws the third group was 1.13 MOA.
              The fourth group was 2.75 MOA. I haven't shot this upper since Loctiting the thumbscrews.
              Last edited by bj139; 06-23-2017, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I took my 16" BCA barrel apart yesterday and lapped the receiver with the Wheeler lapping tool. The receiver was not square to the bore. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and assembled the barrel and receiver with a thin layer on blue Loctite over the barrel extension. I tightened the barrel nut and checked the gas tube alignment. It is now just slightly out of alignment. It was OK before. I guess I need shims. I found Brownells sells them. I forgot to polish the feed ramps while the barrel was out of the receiver. Can the barrel be removed and reassembled if I want to polish the ramps?

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

After using the lapping tool with Rem oil for a lubricant the bolt slides in the receiver like greased lightning. Maybe some of the Teflon from the Rem oil was embedded in the receiver?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Sounds good, curious how it shoots now that you lapped the reciever and bedded the barrel.

If you decide to remove the barrel from the receiver after being bedded with blue thread locker (Loctite or Permatex) you can use a hair dryer or heat gun. Many times a barrel can be tapped out using a woeden dowel or old broom handle squared off without any heat. If the barrel doesn't start moving on the first couple taps you can use some Kroil and heat and it should come out without a lot of effort.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-27-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• funnelcake
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

bj139 - You might (if you haven't already) take a look @ the crown. I figured I'd take a chance and ordered an 18" straight-flute SS 5R BCA barrel & the crown is awful. Across one of the lands, it looks like two divots and the groove next to that land has what looks like a chip. The rest is OK (in comparison, but still not well done). I tried to get a decent pic but no luck so far; I'll keep trying before I box up to send back.

I got an RMA for it this morning...still waffling on trying one more but I'll probably just call AA & check lead times on their 18" tube.
                      Last edited by funnelcake; 06-28-2017, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I just ordered this:

I was going to make my own from rebar rather than spend $100 on the Geissele.
                        I figure $50 is a good deal. There is a cool video on this page on how to use it. Upside down.

On my way to the range to shoot the BCA. I will report back later.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          I just ordered this:

I was going to make my own from rebar rather than spend $100 on the Geissele.
                          I figure $50 is a good deal. There is a cool video on this page on how to use it. Upside down.

On my way to the range to shoot the BCA. I will report back later.
                          That also allows for a 1/2" end socket to be inserted in the end of it to mount in a vice. Don't recall the size off hand.

Also, Botach sells one for $60 that has flats on the side. I do recall shipping issues with Botach many moons ago, I won't vouch for them.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

I shot the 16" BCA SS barrel and it was doing about 4 MOA with Wolf steel ammo, slightly better than before lapping and bedding. I was hoping for more like 2 MOA.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

I found an old thread discussing this issue.

i am going to mount my new barrel to the upper and the standard upper reciever holding block wont fit this DPMS smooth side upper i am using. how ca i hold this thing without damage? please help

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2016

I don't know if 4moa is too far out of line for Wolf.

I have never had any issue with a clamshell.

Comment

Working...
                                X