CFE 223 with 123gr pills, FTF and Super Dirty, am I doing this wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

There is a youtuber goes by "johnny's Reloading bench" who seems to have similar issues with a very similar setup as you... 24" brownells barrel, and a suppressor. If you watch some of his latest videos with the Grendel, you literally see the rifle "gunk" up after a few rounds and essentially turns into a single shot.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by pistolpeta View Post
      Thank you guys, I will get an adjustable gas block and tame that puppy down.
      That CFE 223 burns the eyes and smells horrible and with the addition of the can, is just mucking up the whole operation haha.

I expected the chamber to be dirty but man this is some serious grunge.
      Do any of yall know of a powder that might burn cleaner than CFE 223?
      Do any of yall shoot suppressed 6.5 gren?
      8208 XBR and TAC both burn much cleaner for me. Seems people are getting CFE223 velocities with Lever Revolution but I've never tested it personally.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Not powder related - A member on another forum I frequent did a test with his SBR shooting suppressed, and it was a minimal lube test. The SBR has an AGB, and was tuned for the ammo he shoots.

His rifle was doing the same as reported here, fouling the receiver so bad it turned into a single shot after 50+/- rounds.

Using a Q-tip, and two drops of lube, from a bone dry and clean BCG and upper, all he did was wipe the areas that have contact (rails, cam, ect.) and fired 750 rounds suppressed over 4 days at a medium rate of fire - no cleaning or lubing back up during this time. He did not have one stoppage.

The lube method is exactly as described in the mil specs instructions on how to lube the M16. Slight film, and 1 drop where indicated. It still got dirty, but functioned like it was supposed to, and after cleaning the BCG and receiver, there was no additional wear or any damage done.

YMMV. AR's should be run wet, but suppressed may require one not being so liberal with the the lube.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• pistolpeta
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2016

"Using a Q-tip, and two drops of lube, from a bone dry and clean BCG and upper, all he did was wipe the areas that have contact (rails, cam, ect.) and fired 750 rounds suppressed over 4 days at a medium rate of fire - no cleaning or lubing back up during this time. He did not have one stoppage.

The lube method is exactly as described in the mil specs instructions on how to lube the M16. Slight film, and 1 drop where indicated. It still got dirty, but functioned like it was supposed to, and after cleaning the BCG and receiver, there was no additional wear or any damage done."

I think this might be one of my flaws. I tend to lube the heck outta BCG's, mainly hit the friction spots but then end up wiping it down the rest of the bcg. I guess I need only apply a liberal amount to the contacts.

I wish there were a way to mitigate the carbon build up in a suppressed semi-auto to get closer to 300 blk. Mine still gets dirty but never to the point that I cant run it.

I should had taken a picture of the inside of the suppressor when I dissembled it to clean it. solid black and gummy, not dry but almost a paste/syrup.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

The Grendel burns slower burning powder and more of it than the 300 BO. Powders burn cleaner at higher pressure than low pressure. I do not have a suppressor to test this but have wondered if one would collect more powder residue from say a starting load of a slow burning powder than when using a max load of the same bullet/powder combo.

Comment

• RangerRick
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

AA 2520 is about the cleanest powder I've used. I get velocities almost as good as CFE out of a 20 inch barrel. I've found Win 768 and LeveRevolution to be very dirty.

RR

Comment

Working...
              X