• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by 96superflow View Post
    Thanks for yall's clarification. I did not measure it when I installed it. I am going to start with swapping out the extractor spring the next time I head to the range and see if that is the issue in the bolt. I don't build AR's often, really only for a purpose. I originally built the lower/5.56 upper just because I wanted a 6.5 grendel and obtained the parts for the 5.56 at a low cost. I would truly love to see this thing just run the 6.5 upper at all times. Maybe one day to build a longer barrel version and see the comparison with the 18" I have currently.
    About that extractor spring... sometimes there is a rubber o-ring around it, and some guys just remove that, which allows the extr to operate more easily. you might try that before a complete spring swap-out...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 96superflow
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2014

well I finally got around to trying some other issues. Took the o-ring out, same extracting issues... swapped the extractor/spring with one from a know good 5.56 bcg. was good for a few rounds, then things headed up, and still got the failure to extract. Did switched to one shot at a time and this is what I am looking at from the brass...

PPU Brass

Hornady Brass

What is someone else's opinion on what I am looking at? I feel like it needs some more polishing down close to the neck...

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Post a few pictures of your boltface and extractor.

Comment

• earl39
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2014

Also is this a .136 bolthead? Have you tried a true 6.5 grendel extractor?

Comment

• 96superflow
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2014

The barrel is a Blackhole Weaponary 1in9" Type I .264 LBC. (with the .125 headspacing). The bolt is a tactical ambush 7.62x39 bolt (which is supposedly .125 headspaced). i removed the extractor from a 5.56 BCG I had along with its respective spring. Here are the images you asked for.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

It looks like your extractor may be too far into the center of the boltface. Are you sure you don't need a 7.62x39 extractor?
              Here are some photos of the group buy Grendel bolt from this site and a 223 bolt face.
              You can see these extractors are farther from the firing pin than yours.
              IMG_0006 (Medium).JPGIMG_0010 (Medium).JPG

Edit: Just found this on a search.
              Upgrade your firearm with our premium 7.62x39 Replacement Extractor for reliable extraction and enhanced performance. Designed to withstand the demands of shooting 7.62x39 ammunition, this extractor ensures consistent and efficient extraction of spent casings, reducing the risk of malfunctions and improving overall shooting experience. Whether you're a sport shooter or a seasoned enthusiast, our replacement extractor is a must-have component for your AK-47 or other 7.62x39 chambered rifle. Invest in the reliability and functionality of your firearm with our top-quality replacement extractor today.

And this:
              Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.
              Last edited by bj139; 11-03-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• 96superflow
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2014

I have the 7.62x39 extractor, just tried the 5.56 to see if it made any difference. Still didn't. So I still have 6.5 grendel that I am fighting cycling issues. I feel like its the chamber since the upper portion of the case is scratched/dull from the previous pictures which I feel could cause an issue once things heat up and start constricting.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

OP, refresh my memory - how many rounds do you have down the pipe?
                  If less than 50 give or take, then a sticky chamber could be part of the issue (maybe this idea has already been covered, I'm coming back to the thread here with memory cells erased - lol.) I had sticky/FTE's on a separate grendel-model, until I had cleaned the chamber and sent 50 downrange, pretty much 1 at a time... then things finally smoothed out as it all broke in.

Comment

• 96superflow
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2014

Probably 200 rds. Steel and brass, steel fed the best/most reliable. I have never been real aggressive with polishing the chamber, just used flitz polish but with those marking showing up on the brass it makes me think there is more to be polished.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I posted photos of brass from a Grendel barrel I had in a thread called "My Striped Grendel".
                      The ridges on the brass were very pronounced and it still ejected fine.

Is it still sometimes ejecting and sometimes not?

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

I went back to look at BJ's pics and your pics of bolt/extractor... and I see what BJ is talking about, it's like the extractor collapses farther in radially towards the pin. Also, and here I'm not totally sure but is the extr a bit too short length-wise? as in, it seems to not extend fwd to the front of the bolt face-pin surface, is that the case? Finally, what about the groove does its bottom align with the bolt face, seems as though it might not match dimensionally there...
                        None of my bolts are the 0.125 sort, all 0.136, so I don't have any to personally examine.

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

I'm pretty sure the 5.56 extractor and the 7.62x39 / 6.5 Grendel have different circumferences. That is why your extractor is ripping the case rim apart.

Gotta have the right extractor.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

How much do you think a gunsmith would charge to diagnose the problem?
                            He could check headspace and determine if it is correct.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by 96superflow View Post
                              once things heat up and start constricting.
                              Things typically don’t constrict when they heat up.
                              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 96superflow
                                Unwashed
                                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                                I'm pretty sure the 5.56 extractor and the 7.62x39 / 6.5 Grendel have different circumferences. That is why your extractor is ripping the case rim apart.

Gotta have the right extractor.
                                I have the correct 7.62x39 extractor, did not matter. The 5.56 was swapped in to see if if anything would change.

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                                How much do you think a gunsmith would charge to diagnose the problem?
                                He could check headspace and determine if it is correct.
                                No idea, I looked into purchasing the go, no go gauges myself just haven't done it yet. I haven't heard of any gunsmiths in my area that are decent to help with the issue.

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                                I went back to look at BJ's pics and your pics of bolt/extractor... and I see what BJ is talking about, it's like the extractor collapses farther in radially towards the pin. Also, and here I'm not totally sure but is the extr a bit too short length-wise? as in, it seems to not extend fwd to the front of the bolt face-pin surface, is that the case? Finally, what about the groove does its bottom align with the bolt face, seems as though it might not match dimensionally there...
                                None of my bolts are the 0.125 sort, all 0.136, so I don't have any to personally examine.
                                I'm sorry I was totally unable to gather what you were asking.

I know its difficult to put into words what I mean, and know that is not what happens. It was the best way I could put it into words to how things happen. The first 10 round or so typically extract and eject fine. After that its a crap shoot.

I am fixing to be using a 9 oz buffer for my work sbr/suppressed rifle, and may try that buffer in my gun to see if it could be buffer related.

Comment

Working...
                                X