X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Does the rim of a cartridge fit into the boltface when it is out of the bolt carrier?
    Maybe you could pull straight back on a cartridge when holding it into the boltface.
    It should not slip out.
    The extractor groove may not be wide enough or may be below the boltface slightly.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

It would appear to me that the extractor is levered to far onto the bolt face. The bevel on the extractor is supposed to almost even with the ringed bevel on the bolt.

Comment

• ALshooter
        Unwashed
        • May 2017

96superflow, You mentioned that the extractor tension was lower on your x39 bolt before changing the extractor. Have you tried assembling it with the original extractor and spring/o-ring from the .223 bolt?
        If the extractor springs are weakening (even more) after heating up that could definitely be your problem. However, your testing method of swapping the entire extractor introduces an entirely different problem of having an extractor that isn't tuned for the proper cartridge.

Put the original extractor in with a new spring/o-ring and test again to rule out low extractor tension as your issue. Also, removing the o-ring would only exacerbate this particular issue

Comment

• 96superflow
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by ALshooter View Post
          96superflow, You mentioned that the extractor tension was lower on your x39 bolt before changing the extractor. Have you tried assembling it with the original extractor and spring/o-ring from the .223 bolt?
          If the extractor springs are weakening (even more) after heating up that could definitely be your problem. However, your testing method of swapping the entire extractor introduces an entirely different problem of having an extractor that isn't tuned for the proper cartridge.

Put the original extractor in with a new spring/o-ring and test again to rule out low extractor tension as your issue. Also, removing the o-ring would only exacerbate this particular issue
          I will definitely give this a shot. At this point I am willing to try almost anything.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

by the looks of the rim of the cases and how far the extractor is in towards firing pin, I would also say extractor is not the right one...

Comment

• HowaGrendel
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2017

did you take the extractor off and see how it fit the base of the brass ?

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I am certainly no expert in this area however I had this same issue when I built mine. I brought the rifle to my custom barrel maker and he polished the sharp edges off the extractor. Every shell extracted perfectly after that.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 96superflow View Post
                  I have the 7.62x39 extractor, just tried the 5.56 to see if it made any difference. Still didn't. So I still have 6.5 grendel that I am fighting cycling issues. I feel like its the chamber since the upper portion of the case is scratched/dull from the previous pictures which I feel could cause an issue once things heat up and start constricting.
                  With MLGS 18" barrels, if the port size is too large, you'll get too much gas into the expansion chamber inside the carrier quickly, which will cause the carrier to begin moving earlier and faster than the optimum window for the gun.

The brass will still be purchased to the chamber walls under obturation, and it will play tug-of-war with the extractor. The extractor often loses that battle, slips off the case rim, leaving the empty case in the chamber.

You also have a tighter .295" neck with .264 LBC-AR and imitation chambers based off of Les Baer's chamber, which may or may not be held to Les Baer's spec. BHW told me that they hold strictly to the .264 LBC-AR chamber, but they are at the mercy of the reamer maker unless they measure reamers with optical comparator.

Anyway, a tighter neck isn't going to help with a MLGS 18" barrel that is ported too large, and even adjustable gas will barely keep it managed sometimes unless you buffer it heavily as well.

After reading over the thread again and looking at the extractor lip rips in your rim, I think most experienced AR15 trouble-shooters would lean towards your cyclic rate being clocked way too fast.
                  Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-18-2017, 02:47 AM.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jakegsxr11 View Post
                    I am certainly no expert in this area however I had this same issue when I built mine. I brought the rifle to my custom barrel maker and he polished the sharp edges off the extractor. Every shell extracted perfectly after that.
                    I like Johnny's Reloading Bench videos on youtube and he did a series on reloading for his Grendel. He also had problems with the extractor; he was getting inconsistent ejection and it was marking up the rim of the brass. He ground off the sharp edges with a Dremel and it cured the problems.
                    I think it was the third video in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrM...lh4cjTRb-JJmto
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

The situation described by LRRPF52 was what I ran into with my LBC, an 18-er. I tried smoothing the extractor maybe it helped a little... But the real fix was using the Spikes ST2 and the JP polished spring to slow it down and now it runs really well. Don't have an AGB so that's what I had to do.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 96superflow
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2014

Well I have fixed the issue, at least with 20 round shot through it. I ended up replacing the barrel with a KMtactical type II and a matching type II bolt. Went with a 20" and will see how I like it as far as accuracy goes. Once the BHW barrel was off I inspected the chamber well. Turns out it has some nicks and edges that were probably the issue all along. I am still irritated as heck with BHW testing it and telling me it worked without any issues, very crappy on their part especially since the barrel was a laser.

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Polishing a chamber is actually pretty easy, but glad you fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                          X