• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

BREAKING: ATF Decides Dead Air Wipes Are Silencer Parts

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter66.txt)* that is commonly used as justification for the use of wipes and replacement of wipes in silencers by their owners. This morning, we were informally notified that the BATFE FTB does not share the opinion of the Bardwell letter regarding wipes not being silencer parts, and asked that we take immediate corrective action. As such we are immediately discontinuing the sale of accessory wipes for that product. The aperture wipe for the Ghost has always been an optional use item. We have consciously decided NOT to pursue the issue with FTB, as the resulting opinion letter, based on the informal notification to us, may have a potential negative impact on ALL owners of suppressors that utilize wipes in the design.

Moving forward we are conducting research on a wipe constructed of a more durable material, that will be included with the Ghost 45M. Extra or additional wipes will not be available for sale. Other options and clarifications are being sought as well.

Dead Air has developed and will release a new linear compensator product for handguns and submachineguns that will lead to cross compatibility with some Ghost accessories, including pistons, fixed mounts and caliber specific caps.

We appreciate the support of our customer, dealers and wholesalers, and will continue to bring innovative, quality products to the market. If there are any questions regarding this issue or any questions about our products, please contact us at info@deadairsilencers.com
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Anyone still think that the Noise Reduction Act is still gonna' happen?
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I know a place in the Federal budget where we can shave a clean $1.2 billion annually.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Red Dawn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Absolutely ridiculous. So it's legal to sell solvent traps with non ported baffle inserts but you can't sell a rubber wipe to clean your approved suppressor with I'm confused.
        "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Fat bloated government run amuck in a sea of waste and miss management.

Comment

• barnbwt
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2016

If the rubber wipes were similarly incomplete (i.e. no hole, and Dead Air wasn't also selling complete cans) there would be no issue. The ATF is basically opting to treat disposable baffles (which is what wipes are) as nondisposable baffles after two decades to the contrary. Previously, they'd recognized that the NFA process led to a ridiculous result if these wipes were considered silencer parts, to the point that the common wipe-based tech of the day was essentially forbidden (a dozen shots every 6-8 months at best), so they exercised their regulatory discretion in a way that made more sense for a product to be marketable; only the 'permanent' parts of the can were regulated.

I suspect this move was to 'head off' future polymer baffle tech that rivals metallic designs, so a 3D printed or cast-silicone monocore stack could not be claimed as a 'wipe,' or possibly even the notorious oil-filter setups (I know the filter itself is treated as the can at this time, but it could be argued in court that its durability is poor enough to be counted as a wipe, especially considering you first shoot through the thing to activate it, exactly like a solid wipe). The effect is to force those few companies employing wipes, or ablatives/meshes more generally, into the unpleasant position of selling products made unmarketable by regulation.

Thankfully the industry is not nearly so reliant on this technology as it was in the 80's, so the impact won't be quite as painful for the consumer or home builder.

TCB

Comment

• davidj
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I know a place in the Federal budget where we can shave a clean $1.2 billion annually.
              +1
              Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Precisely​ what i was thinking​... +2

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

i have "not" heard stainless steel fender washers make fantastic baffles
                  Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Working...
                  X