Re-barrelling a savage 10 to Grendel - mags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Re-barrelling a savage 10 to Grendel - mags?

Ok, I've put in an order for a 6.5 Grendel barrel, to install on my current savage 10- 308 (10FCNS is the complete #). It's the accustock so I'll try this stock for a bit first. My question is, is there a DBM style mag that I can use? I don't think they have a "grendel" mag... so would I look for a PPC mag, or maybe the 7.62x39 mag? Any advice appreciated. Converting to AICS is possible but an extra $220 at least so for now I'm not inclined to do it.
    thanks.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Here is a thread where someone used a Savage action to build a 6.5 Grendel.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...Grendel-Build-!

Here is another build thread using a Savage action.

So, I picked up a savage 111 for very cheap, and am toying with the idea of swapping the barrel and chassis with a custom Shilen savage barrel and a MDT LSS chassis. my problem is that I am not that familiar with bolt actions and how well they feed. My idea is to use the long action magazines if the Grendel cartridge can be

Use the google custum search and you can find other threads where members have used Savage bolt actions for 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Very helpful, reading now. I need to learn the search tool... just didn't see much savage action, so to speak!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Well...my Pac Nor Grendel barrel is finally in! Unfortunately, I won't be able to start the breakdown until I get back from a business trip. Attached photos of the before breakdown...Savage 10 FCM "Scout" rifle in 7.62x39 with the Pac-Nor Grendel "match" barrel in the raw. Interestingly, the AA 115
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• s3silver
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I just put one together. I was able to get the .223 mag to feed reliably. Heated up the lips and slowly bent them until it allowed the round to be push up far enough for the bolt to pick up the round. I was only able to fit 3 rounds in it, but it has cycled flawlessly many times over.

...or just order the savage 7.62x39 mag and be done with it. Part # is 55221. They run about $50.

Comment

• s3silver
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

By the way, if you get an aftermarket recoil lug, chances are it will not fit the accustock. The lug cut out will be too narrow since most aftermarket lugs are thicker. At least mine didn't fit.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Thanks. I found some 7.62x39 mags at vizards, 28.55 ea. And roger on the lug, I even called PTG since they had so many thicknesses.... they weren't any help. So I just took off the stock, measured the current lug and gap, they seem to be 0.185 and 0.190 respectively... ordered the 0.187 thickness.
              If the accustock doesn't work I plan on getting either a Boyds or something similar. I have a boyds prairie hunter on another rifle and it works well.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

neat project. Mine is really close to that!
                For guys who do this from an Axis keep in mind that you'll need to stick with the "mini-recoil" luggette since they differ from the normal Savage one. It's not a deal-killer but just to keep in mind.

Comment

Working...
                X