X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobke
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

Just picked up 5 new ASC mags and have had issues from the get go. Did the mod to front lip of mag and hit the dimples very lightly, but without result. Compared older ASC mag that feeds flawlessly to new mags and noticed the absence of a flair on side of mag, just forward of front edge of feed lips to about the front of case. Took out the pliers and did some careful bending to induce flair and now mags feed as they should. A couple of pics to show old and new mags, if I can sort out posting the pics.
    Last edited by Bobke; 04-08-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Byrddogwi
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2015

I purchased 2-10 round and 1-25 round ASC Grendel magazines. I was at the range a week ago and had multiple failures with the 10 round magazines. It seemed that when it was feeding on the left side it would only feed about 1/3 of the way and jam. I don't remember if the 25 round had a problem but it looks like the feed lips may need to be bent or the rib/dimples flattened on the 10 rounder

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

DNS, any chance of you making a permanent switch to CPD or e-lander? I know you had issues with the CPD 28 round magazine, but in my testing with the 4, 10, and 17rd e-lander, and 5,10 and 20 round CPD Ive never had a single mag related issue.

I tried the 5 round ASC as well, and wile I didn't have an issue, it was much harder on the brass than the others. Also there was a noticable amount of resistance when manualy cycling rounds from the mag.

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

This thread being from back in March, I wonder if the note to ASC helped. I bought a few of the ASC 25rd over the summer for a truck gun. They all work great.

Comment

• joedirt199
            Warrior
            • Jul 2015

I sanded the inside feed lip edges of all my mags as the stamped metal can be sharp and grabs the brass pretty good leaving scratches and slowing down chambering. Work better now if that helps anyone.

Comment

• Crabra
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

I am about to sand those feed lip edges on my known bad mag to see if that works. It is definitely scraping the round on the way out

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

Hi all,

New to the forum and wanted to chime in. I just built my first Grendel upper (12.5" SBR) and had mixed results with the ASC magazines I used. I took three fully loaded 25 rounders and one 10 rounder to the range yesterday. My experiences were:

-One of the 25 rounders had issues as I neared the end of the magazine. It started with about 5-6 rounds left in the magazine, as if there wasn't enough strength in the spring.

-The 10 rounder only holds 9 rounds. It worked great except after one reload I had a FTF.

-The other two 25 rounders did fine. I don't recall any issues.

95% of the rounds were Wolf 100gr FMJ, the rest was 123gr SST, all factory ammo.

Reading the feedback in this thread and other places on the interwebs led me to dremel out the feed lips on the most problematic magazine. I'll try and post a picture when I take one. The other idea is to polish the dimples to make the casing slide through easier.

This is the only issue I have with the 6.5 Grendel. Magazine reliability = rifle reliability

Having shot mostly .223/5.56 I'm used to the USGI and Pmags functioning 99.9% of the time. This seems like the only hiccup in changing to the Grendel.

Anything I'm missing?

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2017

Here is my first attempt:

The last picture shows the neck of of the casing is just past the lip before the dimple catches it. I'm hoping that does enough.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I'd compare the feed lips on the good 24 round mags to the faulty 24 and 9 round mags. If the feed lips don't match the two good mags try to bend the feed lips to match the good mags. On the 24 round mag that failed to feed and felt like the spring was hanging up I'd pull the floor plate off.

Inspect the follower for excess plastic flashing, trim with a knife if there is any excess plastic. Make sure the spring is installed correctly. I'd clean the inside of the mag body and inspect the body to ensure there are no dents which might impede the follower from rising smoothly. Reassemble and see how the mag performs.

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      I'd compare the feed lips on the good 24 round mags to the faulty 24 and 9 round mags. If the feed lips don't match the two good mags try to bend the feed lips to match the good mags. On the 24 round mag that failed to feed and felt like the spring was hanging up I'd pull the floor plate off.

Inspect the follower for excess plastic flashing, trim with a knife if there is any excess plastic. Make sure the spring is installed correctly. I'd clean the inside of the mag body and inspect the body to ensure there are no dents which might impede the follower from rising smoothly. Reassemble and see how the mag performs.
                      I had not considered the follower as a problem spot. Would that make sense with why it becomes problematic at the same point in the magazine (5-6 rounds remaining)?

I'll disassemble and see tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2017

Update: no real spots on the follower that seemed to be a problem. I hand cycled two full magazines through it and it still got caught up, although this time on the second to last round. After that I loaded 10-15 in, cycled it and it appeared to be working fine.

In regards to the other magazines, I hand cycled three 25 rounders and had zero issues. I'm wondering if the one I already dremeled on was a lemon.

Comment

Working...
                        X