• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

ASC Mag Feed Issues/Stoppages

If this has been presented previously, I did not find it.

I have recently noticed problems in using particular ASC magazines in my collection. The problems have most often occurred when the cartridge is being cycled by the rifle, but a few times when first dropping the BCG on the round to get it to feed. In the latter case, dropping the BCG a second time will feed the round. I has ASSUMED my issue there was with mags that were too full and that there was too much tension to allow for proper feeding of the first round. I no longer believe this is the case, although the amount of tension may have been a contributing factor (don't know either way).

When I have most noticed the problem is while firing in the field, usually while hunting a sounder of hogs, which is when you do not want to have the problem. Malfunctions have occurred when I am down to the last few rounds of the magazine.

I have noticed this problem with Hornady SST 123 gr factory ammo and Wolf Gold 120 gr. factory ammo. I haven't fired enough other brands or models of ammo to know if this problem extends to others.

So if you have ASC magazines and have had feed issues, this maybe be the problem.

Here is the video...
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I have the asc five round mags, I haven't had any issues like that as of yet and my mags have a good bit of rounds through them now.

I will be keeping a watch and log any malfunctions I have like this.

Maybe a dumb question but or these new mags in the video are ones you have been useing for a good while.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I came across something on the net about this a couple weeks ago. I have never had a problem but decided to go ahead and clearance all of mine just a bit to hopefully alleviate any contact.

This isn't the video I watched but this one does show the problems and fix.

The other guy used some type electrician pliers to flatten out the dimples. I'm not too worried about the dimples as they are rounded edges.
      Last edited by rabiddawg; 03-22-2017, 02:20 PM.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

A - I have used several. I have two that are black and three that are green in 25 round capacity. I have not seen the problem in less capacity mags, but I use them rarely. The black are my old ones. One works fine. The other has the issue. Of the three new green one is fine and 2 had the issue as shown in the video.

The problem, when in the gun, doesn't occur 100% of the time, either. Between the issue not being in all the mags and not always occurring, I was having trouble diagnosing why I had the occasional stoppage. When I went to strip rounds from my magazine for cleaning is when I realized why the rounds would not always feed. I would guess that sometimes, either there is enough force behind the BCG to get the round to jump over the lip or that some case mouths may be a little smoother and allow the case to jump over the lip. I don't know for certain as to why it doesn't happen every time, but I do feel that this is why it does happen some of the time.

R - I had not seen that, but wish I had. :-(

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Intresting, maybe contact asc and let them know what's going on.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Sent them a link to the video and explained it was a problem that I had been having. With that said, I know many folks already own ASC mags.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Cool deal, would be intrested in knowing what they say about it.

I don't have the high capacity asc mags but I do have the elanders, don't use them much but will keep a watch on them as well see if this ever happens to them I will know how to fix the issue.

Thanks for taking the time to post up the vid of the issue DNS

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I've read where a lot of people were modding ASC mags for 7.62X39 to improve function. I've only had problems with one 24 round ASC mag which failed to feed. I compared the feed lips of the faulty mag to good mags and the feed lips were bent lower. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the feed lips on the faulty mag to match my good mags.

The faulty mag runs much better but I've only used it a couple of times. When the faulty mag failed to feed it was usually on the left side(non ejection port side). I only encountered one fail to feed on the right side where the feed lip was not out of alignment as bad.

With the feed lips bent down to far the nose of the bullet/cartridge isn't allowed to rise enough to hit the feed ramp during the feeding cycle and caused a stoppage.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Cool info!

Comment

• Redomen
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2016

I have had this problem with ASC mags so I threw them in a box and only use Elanders. I may pull them out and tweak them to see how it will work.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

The mod to the ASC 7.62X39 mag was just like DNS spy did to the front lip of the magazine. There might be some tolerance stacking in relation to the top front edge of the mag and the bottom edge of the upper receiver/barrel extension. I wasn't trying to say that DNS mod might not be benificial but my particular mag didn't need it. There could be a difference in manufacturing of ASC mags where the front lip is different and higher on some mag bodies. A few thousandths can make a difference.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

I am good either way, either with tweaking the feed lips or cutting down on the mag. Either way, there is a problem with some mags where the cartridges are catching and this can lead to intermittent malfunctions that may be difficult to diagnose, so checking mags for this issue may be prudent. How the issue is resolved is up to the user.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

As a final note, ASC finally got back with me on Friday and offered to replace my mags. I had sent them a link to the video. I politely replied that I was not asking for replacement, that I had modified my mags to work, and that my note to them was to inform them of a problem with their product.

Kudos to ASC for offering a replacement, but I fear I would just get more mags that were not quite right.

Comment

• Texas
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2016

I have applied this fix to one of my ASC mags and it resolved the issue. Same fix rabbiddawg mentioned.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

I just looked at several of my 6.5 Grendel mags from Elander and CProducts.

They don't have the enlarged guide grooves in the feed lips like that guy's 7.62x39 magazine.

When I slowly advance a cartridge from the feed position, there is no impingement of the case rim against any of those indentations, and movement is smooth/trouble-free on all of mine.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X