• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Suppressor question

Got my stamp and suppressor couple weeks ago. Was trying it out this weekend and man is it awesome! Only problem I noticed was brass was really dirty. Other than that, everything seemed to cycle properly, brass landing at 2 oclock. I know shooting supressed causes access back pressure, but is this normal? How do you tell if it is too much? Anything else I should check? New to shooting suppressed so any info is appreciated.
    Running it on an 18" AA barrel, rifle length gas, non adjustable block, using factory Hornady 123 custom
    Thanks
    Nick
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

3 o'clock is supposed to be ideal. You are slightly overgassed. Dirty brass is normal for your situation. It can happen when undergassed as well.

DO NOT LEAVE A ROUND IN CHAMBER OVERNIGHT IF FIRING SUPPRESSED. IT CAN CORRODE IN PLACE.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Been there, done that Double Naught?
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Nick
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Thanks for the heads up

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Yes, unfortunately that is the downside of using a suppressor; your receiver and brass get dirty.

Spent cases before cleaning; suppressor on the left and no suppressor on the right.

Like the other guys are saying...Burnt powder cakes on the inside surfaces, especially the corners. It then attracts moisture as it cools. This then turns corrosive. Not just in the suppressor but near it. Like if you put a damp sponge in the receiver. Some metals are more prone to corrosion than others and especially when two different metals are in contact. In this instance you get an electrochemical or galvanic reaction (e.g. brass in chamber).

Suppressors that come apart make for easier cleaning. One or two shots is not a big deal but 50 is a definitely worth cleaning. Just plenty of degreaser or WD40, elbow grease and paper towels. And take your suppressor off after you finish shooting at the first opportunity.

Also, watch that it doesn't come loose as it heats up and expands. Something that feels rock solid tight when cold will soon not be if you are firing faster than one round a minute. Last thing you need is it creeping forward on the threads and then getting a baffle strike as run-out kicks in. Keep checking it if it is not locked in by a ratchet system.
          Last edited by Klem; 03-27-2017, 02:04 AM.

Comment

• tpk
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

Running a heavier buffer has helped a lot with the dirty cases in my rifle.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by tpk View Post
              Running a heavier buffer has helped a lot with the dirty cases in my rifle.
              Good advice from tpk... I also use an adjustable gas block. If I don't adjust the gas down it spits out the cases at 2 O'clock and throws them further from the gun.

I have used suppressors in various guns and calibres. In semi-auto's all the brass comes out dirty.
              Last edited by Klem; 03-28-2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• Nick
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Good to know. Running an AA overwatch barrel. Having trouble trying to find what diameter block I need. In the mean time I've ordered some heavier rings for silent capture.

Comment

• win.308stealth
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2015

Nick-- you mentioned you got your stamp back a few weeks ago. If you don't mind, can you let me know when you submitted your paperwork and if you know, when was your check cashed. Submitted my paperwork beginning of June 2016, check was cashed June 28. The wait is killing me.
                  Last edited by win.308stealth; 03-29-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• Nick
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

I submitted move in June also. Check was cashed in January.

Comment

• explorecaves
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by win.308stealth View Post
                      Nick-- you mentioned you got your stamp back a few weeks ago. If you don't mind, can you let me know when you submitted your paperwork and if you know, when was your check cashed. Submitted my paperwork beginning of June 2016, check was cashed June 28. The wait is killing me.

According to the trend graph, you should be getting close. Add 2 weeks or so for mailing the stamp, so I would say by the end of April it should be in your hands.

Comment

Working...
                      X