X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wvmagnum
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

You are completely correct. That picture was just some parts dry-fitted together for a photo op.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Yes but it had the barreled assembled on the upper and then attached to lower and that folks is what counts. I've never seen it mentioned that everything needs to be torqued down and there are AR's that don't require buffer tubes. Anyways just a casual observation, built several pistols over the years and has been fun sorting through the confusion.

Comment

• wvmagnum
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2016

Isn't the main concern whether or not you could end up with an unregistered SBR? The pistol itself, isn't terribly regulated by the Feds, if I recall correctly. Also, I believe I have heard before that lowers are technically registered as "other" when bought new, not necessarily pistol or rifle. Anyone have light to shine on that?

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Funny about the pistol build. There are no parts in the receiver but technically the receiver is a firearm so the empty build is now a pistol.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Stripped lowers registered as "other" + built lowers even with a stock but never having an upper attached, example a PSA pre-built lower I bought is also registered as "other" even though it came with a stock. Removed the stock from the PSA pre-built lower when I got home and prior to attaching any upper. Grabbed my 11.5" upper and and popped it on the stockless lower and I just built an AR pistol legally.

Federally there is no barrel length requirement for building a pistol so it wouldn't have mattered if I popped an 18" barreled upper on the stock-less lower, it still would have been a classified as a pistol. That said, know your state laws as several have odd requirements as pistols go concerning barrel length and/or OAL. MI has an OAL requirement and TN has a barrel length restriction as examples.
            Last edited by Lastrites; 06-14-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Troutguide
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

The main thing is as long as it was first built as a pistol it can later be configured as a rifle and back to a pistol just never an sbr without the permit. If it was first built as a rifle it cannot be built as a pistol as far as I can tell. Weird but true. So if your saying that first build was a pistol and you assembled the buffer tube without the stock attached it was a pistol. When you attached the stock to the buffer you made it a rifle but can still go back to pistol later, moral of story just put buffer tube on first without stock and then add stock. Clear as mud.
              "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Correct, first built as a rifle, always be a rifle, unless of course you tax stamp it for a sbr.

Comment

Working...
                X