• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi shooter
    Warrior
    • Mar 2017

my new toy arrived

my new howa ive been waiting for has finally showed up just picked it up from the shop today i know these have been out in the usa a fair while but they are brand new to the Zealand market (in 6.5 Grendel that is) ive fitted it with a ultra lightweight suppressor that's made here in nz will hopefully fit scope tomorrow
    IMG_0410.JPG
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Is that a DPT suppressor. Be interesting to see how you load work goes with this one.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• kiwi shooter
      Warrior
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
      Is that a DPT suppressor. Be interesting to see how you load work goes with this one.
      Yep dpt i have a 260 aswell so I just brought another rear bush to suit the grendel and share supressors

I don't have dies for a couple more weeks so ive brought a couple of boxes of hornady 123gn a-max factory ammo so i can play

Comment

• murfvol
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2016

Nice setup Kiwi! Please update us after a trip to the range. A suppressed rig intrigues me.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

kiwi shooter, you really know how to hurt us Americans with a can on the rifle and no waiting - keep us informed on your experience with the new toy.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
            Warrior
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Texas View Post
            kiwi shooter, you really know how to hurt us Americans with a can on the rifle and no waiting - keep us informed on your experience with the new toy.
            really don’t understand that rule all my rifles are suppressed bar my black powder stuff
            it call it a safety accessory save my hearing when hunting

on the range you still need muffs as multiple shots even with a suppressor gets sore on the ears its not like the movies they still make a fair old crack

Comment

• FW Conch
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

As long as the pill exceeds the speed of sound we're going to hear the sonic crack.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                Warrior
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                As long as the pill exceeds the speed of sound we're going to hear the sonic crack.
                exactly... you can not suppress that supersonic crack as that is made in the air after the pill leaves the muzzle the only dam near silent thing Ive herd is a very long barrel bolt action 22 with subsonic ammo you could only hear the rifle as if it was dry fireing however the impact down range was still quite loud

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

I had a suppressor on my Grendel-Max for the first few hunts but when I sling my rifle I like to carry it muzzle down and with the supressor on it was inclined to catch on various rock and scrub (mataghouri, speergrass etc) that oredominates in the area I hunt that it became more of a nuicence than an aid. Carried slun barrel up you are constantly having to hold the sling to stip it wanted to swing backward where slung barrel down it naturaly snugs into the shoulder so I ended up taking it off and never found a difference in the number of animals I was able to shoot . I was out a few weeks back with a friend wherer I carried my newly finished 6.5x57 and he had his 6.5x47 and both are unsuppressed. We got onto a little kob and got 7 of them which was all we could carry out so the noise factor did not effect the the hunt result.
                  I wouldn't hunt my 20 VarTarg on the rabbits without the suppressor though as that definately made a real difference in the number of animals I was able to take on a couple of hours walking the faces where they live.

I actually found the noise of my first shot in the goat country to be beneficial on a couple of occasions. as where I hunt is a large bluff. steep face gully system about 1000 t0 1200 yds top to bottom and maybe 1500yds accross to the opposite face and the firsts shot accross or up the gully will echo off the other face and often will drive the animals back toward us and a few times a mob of between 10 to 25 or more has been driven back toward us.
                  http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                  Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2017

this starting to wind me up Monday I went to sight in my new rifle on the farm I called the farmer Sunday no worries but it rained all night and I wasn't sure about the dodgy track I have to get down to the range we have set up but I thought bugger it and went for a look the track was fine but due to rain the farmer didn't think id come and put his cows in that paddock we (my mate and I) could of moved the cows to the next paddock over but it was easier to give it a miss and go another time
                    I was busy Tuesday but organized Wednesday with the farmer woke Wednesday to heavy rain so rifle still remains un fired

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2017

i went to the range today 1st time shooting my new rifle and 1st time shooting a 6.5 Grendel
                      i had a packet of 123 factory a max ammo i used 5 rounds getting her close after bore sighting
                      the next 5 were very disappointing about a 6 inch group at 100m
                      what the.... rookie mistake had my barrel rested not the stock
                      gave my mate a few shots and he was able to get a good group which confurmed the nut behind the butt was to blame

last 5 shots 4 of which inside an inch the 5th was the nut behind the but again bugger....

love the rifle its showing great accuracy potential its very quiet very comfortable on the ears even without protection the trigger is far to heavy for me i like a very light trigger arround 1.5lb this so im told is about 3lb so yeah.... the length of pull is to long for my short arms also both minor issues with easy fixes

and the 6.5 Grendel is a honey of a little round isn't it absolutely no recoil with the suppressor bloody awesome to shoot

Comment

• Stevil
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2015

Sounds like mixed bag at the range Kiwi shooter and we all do silly mistakes like ya range set up lol !

So whats the game you intend to use the the quiet Grendel on ? be sure to whack a few pics up too B-)

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2017

Yeah but hay im 100%sure the accuracy issues i had earlier in the day was definitely me and not the rifle given when I changed my rest positioning both me and my mate were both able to shoot reasonable groups

The rifle doesn't fit 100% right for me an im not used to the rifle
                          So I wasn't expecting to go out there and shoot one hole groups off the bat although the rifle is looking like it has that kind of potential with handloads and a little more practice with the rifle

Planed use is fallow deer and goats
                          Last edited by kiwi shooter; 04-03-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X