• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roadie
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake

Ordering some of the last pieces to put my rifle build together and have come down to this question. I was thinking flash hider instead of the loudness of the brake for not only my comfort but those around me. I've never fired the Grendel but can't imagine it kicks like a mule.

Comments and/or suggestions?
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

recoil isnt typically an issue unless you are planing to use grendel for action shooting, there are lots of options, you could also just put a thread protector on the muzzle i have a few guns that just kind of live there lives like that as well...
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Roadie
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2017

Not an action shooter, just a paper hole puncher. I thought maybe the flash hider to distribute some of the flash.

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

I would say the flash hider is simply cosmetic for casual shooting. I've got a 20" barrel that's not threaded a some others with the birdcage flash hiders. I haven't fired them after dark, but I never notice any flash. You'd be fine with just a thread protector, but the birdcages are fairly inexpensive.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

A flash hider is of no use outside the military. It will however make your gun longer and slightly heavier at the muzzle...Just saying. A thread protector is all you need for paper punching.

Comment

• sportsnut
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2017

Combo

I went with the combo device.

Comment

• Cotay
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2017

I went with with a linear comp: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw_...ear308-blk.htm

Comment

• wraith1516
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

20" bbl only has a thread protecter never had any problems but also have direct thread can that is used on 3 different rifles didnt want to have to buy 3 over priced muzzle devices

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  A flash hider is of no use outside the military. It will however make your gun longer and slightly heavier at the muzzle...Just saying. A thread protector is all you need for paper punching.
                  I think there is a valid argument for protecting the muzzle with stand-off, which is why I have people consider one for civilian use, especially a field gun that might get banged around a truck, dropped, or slung.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Roadie
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2017

If I went the brake route I like the Precision Armament LMD but really don't want everyone around me to be like "that damn guy with the break on his AR is back again". So guess I'll go with a thread protector or hider and can always buy a brake down the line if needed. Maybe if the HPA gets passed I'll get a can - after the 1 year rush is over with!

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      I think there is a valid argument for protecting the muzzle with stand-off, which is why I have people consider one for civilian use, especially a field gun that might get banged around a truck, dropped, or slung.
                      I'm going to have to call that one...If the risk were as you suggest bolt gun owners would have flash hiders or three-inch recessed crowns.

If the thread protector is proud of the muzzle by even a mm then it's all the protection you will ever need.

Flash hiders however are cheap, ubiquitous and look good an AR15 so it's up to you.

Comment

• Roadie
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2017

I ended up ordering an A2 FH from Rousch. Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

• Aged1
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

Or a compensator

Kaw Valley linear comp. From Kaw Valley for $54 or $45.95 from Joeboboutfitter.com.
                          My muzzle device sends all the blast down range and that's nice. I think the flash hider on my 556 upper directs some blast sideways/back. Looks great on the end if my Grendelhunter upper.
                          Last edited by Aged1; 04-14-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• hikfromstik
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2016

Our shooting group all has the a2 birdcage style flash hiders on their AR's . I have a thread protector on my grendel , then I have I my crowned bolt action 223 . When the flash hider AR's come out I push my ear plugs in tighter to soften the blast . To me ,my grendel AR is quiter than the 5.56/223 ar.

Comment

• Roadie
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2017

I'm trying the A2 for now. I did look up the linear compensators but didn't see any of them in stainless to match the barrel though I could see where all the noise/gas would be directed forward on some of those as there were no side cutouts and only holes at the muzzle end. I finished the build today with the exception of glass which is going to have to wait a while. One of these days I'll get glass and hit the range with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X