• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johny Fox
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

Huge feeding issue problem fixed.

Hey I been reading a lot of posts on here trying to find my issue with feeding in my Grendel build. I tried just about everything from polishing feed ramps, modified mags, and so on. When I would try to chamber a round even manually it would jam not fully seating in the bolt face. I would get dents in the brass. After tearing apart my bolt I found the ejector was protruding slightly past the face not allowing the case head to seat. After dissasemblly I found the roll pin retainer for the ejector had chipped. This allowed the ejector a few extra thousands of an inch to push past the face. I hope this tid bit of info helps anyone who has this issue. There isn't much info out there on this.
    Last edited by Johny Fox; 03-27-2017, 09:17 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Johny Fox View Post
    Hey I been reading a lot of posts on here trying to find my issue with feeding in my Grendel build. I tried just about everything from polishing feed ramps, modified mags, and so on. When I would try to chamber a round even manually it would jam not fully seating in the bolt face. I would get dents in the brass. After tearing apart my bolt I found the ejector was protruding slightly past the face not allowing the case head to seat. After dissasemblly I found the roll pin retainer for the ejector had chipped. This allowed the ejector a few extra thousands of an inch to push past the face. I hope this tid bit of info helps anyone who has this issue. There isn't much info out there on this.
    Welcome aboard.

It's one of the many overlooked aspects of bolts that we have covered here over the years. It was first identified by guys shooting 6mm PPC in the AR15 back many years ago, using Colt 7.62x39 Bolts.

Alexander Arms identified a fix to this when doing all the engineering work on 6.5 Grendel, and simply shortened the length of the ejector so cases would not get impinged against the side of the rim like yours has been doing.

That was a very simple solution to the problem in advance, but you're right, not a lot of manufacturers have even looked at it.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-28-2017, 03:23 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Johny Fox. Thank you for your extractor experience.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

It's also an example of how parts are not all made to the same standards.

Ejector roll pins for the Mil-Std have to go through a series of specs from raw materials to completed part, with inspections and certifications every step of the way.

The after market can throw in whatever they want, to include cheap garbage from overseas with soft steel, or steel that is too brittle.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X