wanting to know what is easier to learn, MOA or MIL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoser1
    Bloodstained
    • May 2015

by the way paul, my rifle is an ultimate accuracy out of Kansas, from the research that I've done the guy isn't making them anymore. There are reports of 10,000+ rounds out of his rifles with good results. I only have about 100 rounds done range, so I should be good for a while.........

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Are you planning on shooting Extreme Long Range with it, where it likes to be?

Do your friends or you have spotting scopes?

Scope ruggedness is something to really consider with the big bores, and there are 2 companies I would only look at for that, same as what I go to for gas guns.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Hoser1
        Bloodstained
        • May 2015

Mdram, thanks for the link, good article. I have a couple places to shoot 800+ yards. I have a spotting scope, nothing fancy just power....

I have looked into 2 scopes that I think will handle the abuse, but being on a budget, is where I start having second thoughts. I have a friend that has a 4-14x50 Leupold. He does really well his set up.

Didn't really want to mention scope names on here as I was just wanting input to which would be easier to learn.....

As per the article and what LR1955 had mentioned, I believe I will go with MOA. I know guys on here that will probably argue that.... sometimes I like being different!!!!

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

I guess MOA is easiest for me because most ballistic tables are in inches, and I think in inches. Long rang adjustment is drop divided by 100 yards to arrive at clicks.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Texas View Post
            I guess MOA is easiest for me because most ballistic tables are in inches, and I think in inches. Long rang adjustment is drop divided by 100 yards to arrive at clicks.
            Tex:

Haven't heard that one before but it is correct. Lets say the drop between 200 and 300 is somewhere around 5 inches. 5 (inches) divided by 3 (00) = about 1 3/4 minutes. My come up between 200 and 300 for most High Power loads I use.

It isn't in 'clicks' though. It is in minutes. Or did I miss something?

LR55
            Last edited by LR1955; 04-03-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

I guess MOA is easiest for me because most ballistic tables are in inches...
              I understand you might prefer Imperial over Metric due to some other reason like familiarity but most tables are not in inches.

The tables produced by popular and reputable ballistics programs permit the user a choice of Imperial or Metric. You decide what the output will be.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                Tex:

Haven't heard that one before but it is correct. Lets say the drop between 200 and 300 is somewhere around 5 inches. 5 (inches) divided by 3 (00) = about 1 3/4 minutes. My come up between 200 and 300 for most High Power loads I use.

It isn't in 'clicks' though. It is in minutes. Or did I miss something?

LR55
                It is in MOA but I use two different style scopes 1/8 and 1/4 MOA so there is either a 4 or 8 multiplier, I skipped a mental step.

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  I understand you might prefer Imperial over Metric due to some other reason like familiarity but most tables are not in inches.

The tables produced by popular and reputable ballistics programs permit the user a choice of Imperial or Metric. You decide what the output will be.
                  My first duty rifle was an M1 Garand, and we did everything in inches. The ballistic tables I grew up using are from old Hornady reloading manuals, and they were all in inches. Computers weren't even in the picture.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

My first duty rifle was an M1 Garand, and we did everything in inches. The ballistic tables I grew up using are from old Hornady reloading manuals, and they were all in inches. Computers weren't even in the picture.
                    I hear you... I have no doubt you can play that Garand like a fiddle.

Comment

Working...
                    X