X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

I am sorry if you thought it was a dig. I guess these products no longer work as well as they did in 1997.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

I feel boring! Just gunzilla for cleaning, and Hoppes lubricant for lube.

I clean and lube after every outting... too much tbh...

Comment

• 2_speed
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2011

So, here's one for the horde: Anyone have experience with some of the new organic type stuff setting up while parked in the safe for longer periods of time. I've been using Gunzilla for a little while. It cleans & lubes good but I don't know how it acts over time.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Gunzilla here too.

My Mk12 sat in storage for 4 years, not cleaned after the last use. I was able to send around 200 rounds down range before she started getting sluggish. Little bit more Gunzilla on the bolt, and we were rocking again. Got home, gave her a decent cleaning (pretty easy). Next trip I still shot a sub MOA group with IMI razorcore 77gr. during some flavor testing. Up to 2800 rounds down that Centurion Barrel.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I remembered a can of G96 I purchased about 20 years ago and sprayed some on my ARs. It seems thicker that Remoil but is much slicker as well. Very little smell. I was surprised at the viscosity since the Canadian report proved it was one of the best performers at low temperatures. I will check it in a few days to see if it is still oily and slick on the AR.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
              I am sorry if you thought it was a dig. I guess these products no longer work as well as they did in 1997.
              Sorry you misunderstood the expression. Years ago, in my youth, I played on the base volleyball team. A "dig" was when someone saved the ball from hitting the floor, thus "digging it out" and preventing a certain score. I guess it's a little like surfer-speak, when you hear about a "gnarly" wave.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

NG, I did misunderstand. Sorry for that. I am just trying to convey helpful information to the members and maybe do a little light hearted ribbing along the way.
                On this board I still don't know what is more important, an expensive show piece or a rifle that looks like it has been dragged through the mud but shoots one hole groups at 1000 yds. I am exagerating a bit, but not much. I guess to some one, to others the other.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Guys:

Guess what?

That said, I didn't see any bilingual instructions.

LR55

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    Well played, sir.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

One thing we have to think about with the AR15 and other gas-operated weapons that generate heat wherever the excess gases are allowed to vent is lubrication of those areas.

Since the AR15 vents from within the carrier out the ejection port, any thin lubricants we place on the main reciprocating mass might have a tendency to evaporate quicker due to cooking off.

This is one area where I find thicker lubes to be useful, but this is normally on high-volume guns.

For bolt guns, I have different considerations as there is hardly any heat sinking into the bolt body or lugs.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I have some Eezox which I used about 10 years ago. I stopped using it for general lubrication because it dries on the surface. In operation, it provides no hydraulic shock absorption that a liquid on moving surfaces provides. On sufaces to prevent rust it works great. I keep a can of Rem oil in my range bag and if parts look dry I spray a bit. Rem oil is not greasy after a few minutes so there is no slippage in the hands but it remains between moving parts. Even a substandard oil which is used is better than the best oil which is left at home when it is needed.

Comment

• phishfood
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2017

Not a direct answer to the original question.

But I got my hands on a can of G96 quite some years ago. I used it on a steel everything carry pistol for a long time. It did as well as anything else I have used, and better than anything else except maybe CLP at preventing rust, even when carrying IWB here in sweatyhumidhot C FL. And it seemed to do well as far as lubricating during 2-400 round trips to the range, even after being jammed down inside my pants all week.

And I am going to leave that one right there.

Comment

• soloelcap
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2017

I use CLP on all my match guns because it works and I've never had any problems with it. My match AR's take a beating and I usually just wipe the bolt carrier off and reapply after each match, clean real good after a couple hundred rounds. I just bought a bottle of Go-Juice from ALG Defense to start trying, seems slick and clean and that group knows AR's.
                            NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

I saw a corrosion test where Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner won over about 16 other lubricants. I think I will try it.

Comment

• derek45
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2017

I use old Hoppes #9 or KROIL for bore cleaning.

I use MOBIL 5w30 for gun oil. cheaper than CLP, doesn't burn off as fast.

works very well in all temperatures

NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

Working...
                                X