X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendelshooter
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Royal Purple 5w-30 works well in all my rifles.

If it's good enough for my 500rwhp LS1 it's good enough for my guns.

Though I have used mobile 1 on machine guns in the past and it worked fine.

Comment

• RobertFL
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

I used LSA from mid 1980s till I sold my AR 15 in 1997. I got a new AR less than 2 months ago. I have been using Lucas gun oil and Lucas Extreme, both seem to be scent free. I have used plain Mineral oil on my Black powder rifles, hand guns and bolt action rifles for over 25 years..no rust or wear problems, but I don't shoot a lot of bullets if that makes any difference. I'll be looking at using the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple, a quart will last me 50 years..

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Or just use what you run in your car. IIRC one dipstick worth (check your engine oil level) is more than enough oil for an AR on a range trip.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

I have used CLP for 30 years and have no issues with it what so ever.
          I did try FrogLube several years ago as it is based on being invented by a recent ODA team member and a several of us recently retired guys wanted to try it out although none of actually knew this guy or what team he was in..... long story short, I don't think any of us really liked it much except it made the rifle smell wonderfully sweet and I suppose we could lick the bolt like a lollipop for food if in a dire emergency. The systems all ran worse as previously mentioned, although we all followed the instructions were told we were not using it properly.
          I then watched several videos of Hickok45 on Youtube and he loves, loves, loves Ballistol so I bought a case off of the net as there was not to be had locally anywhere.... thankfully the stuff has hundreds of home, auto, and farm application uses because I really didn't care for the smell or the residue foamy look and feel it left on rifle parts.......
          I am back to CLP and get it my gallons, seems to be the way to go for me,
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• pelikan800
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2018

I use Slip 2000 EWL on my BCM AR. No issues in around 2500 rounds. You may want to Google "filthy 14" to get an idea of how long an AR can run if properly lubed. Filthy 14 is an AR that was a rack gun run in Pat Rogers (RIP) shooting school EAG Tactical, that has much harsher firing schedules than most of us will run. A good primer on what not to do, and how well an AR will run with proper lubrication. Cheers!

Comment

• Crusty
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

I use Ballistol for nearly everything and a little moly grease on my cam pin and bolt sealing rings, with good results.

I understand that WD-40 shouldn't be used in firearms because it is too penetrating and can creep into primers of loaded rounds left in a weapon, causing misfires.
              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Trident00
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2018

FWIW. I have been very pleased over the years with Rem Oil. I have used it in both Colorado in the winter, and Florida in the summer.
                I have used it on everything from bolt action rifles to SMG’s and LMG’s.
                In all that time my only issue was on a FA Uzi during a snowstorm in the high Rockies.
                I’m figuring I over lubricated, and it had sat in a cold vehicle most of the morning.

I will be trying some of the other lubricants suggested.
                Great stuff
                Cheers

Comment

• 1Shot
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

Hoppes #9 or when copper fouling needs to go Shooter's Choice in the bore and WalMart's brand of full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil as lube just like my cars and trucks get. I have used lots of lubes over the years and the synthetic motor oil seems to work just fine for me. Oh, you don't need to drown them in oil either, a little goes a long way.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

+1 avoiding Froglube. I clean with CLP, lube with Slip2000 or Mobil1 full synth...
                    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• 1Shot
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

I forgot to mention in my other post about WD40. I have a friend that has been a gunsmith for 40+ years. He loves for people to use WD40 on their guns especially semi autos. It has made him lots of money. When the wetness of it dries up it leaves a hard wax that will gum up and stop things from working properly. It may be fit for a squeaking door hinge but it will NEVER be used as a lube on one of my firearms. The only time I have ever used it on a firearm was when I got caught out in a frog strangling rain storm turkey hunting. I striped my Rem. 1100 down and sprayed to displace any water (WD40 stands for water displacement try number 40) that was still present after wiping out. Then I properly lubed everything up with gun oil. WD40 also works pretty good as a starter fluid sprayed into the carburetor of small gas engines. Was out fishing in my John boat and had a problem with the fuel system. I had a can of WD40 I was using for another purpose in the boat. I got it out sprayed it into the carburetor and pulled the rope and it fired up and I kept giving it a shot to keep it running put it into gear and kept spraying it until I got to the shore before the can ran out. Beat trying to row into the wind to get to shore. Redneck ingenuity.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I have been using WD40 for years to clean guns. A good spray and then stand it upright on a paper towel so gravity helps get rid of it. then wipe it dry with more paper towels. It strips out all the soot and carbon especially when using suppressors. Once dry with paper towels I lube moving parts with Sweets gun oil (it contains wax to keep the oil on surfaces for longer). I don't clean barrels as much as I used to but when that happens I use Butch's bore shine to start and WD40 to clear it all out. If it's going into storage I use oil instead of WD40.

I understand WD40 leaves a varnish when it dries but it's never damaged any of my guns. So to be clear, WD40 for cleaning and rust prevention only. Oil for lubrication.

I've also used Remington oil in the spray can but found it dries out too quickly.

Comment

• Naka16
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2018

I like the Qmaxx black to clean and lube. It is on the more expensive end though. Rem oil also works great.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Roadie View Post
                            I finished assembling my very first AR today but it is bone dry. I've watched several youtube videos on what to lube on a new rifle but my question is not what to lube but what lube to use. In Google searches I've read everything from Frog Lube to transmission oil to Mobil 1 oil to ...

I don't really have an area in the garage to clean as the space is taken up with the wife's car and my brewing equipment so something that I could use at a table off the kitchen or at worst on our covered patio that doesn't smell like a chemical factory or that I have to worry about if I get some on me I'll grow a 6th digit on my hand. On my CW I use frog lube and after 1000 rounds or so it's fine but it's always on my body under a shirt and will not be subjected to as much weather and elements.

Any suggestions for cleaner & lube products for my new rifle?
                            RDE:

Hoppes # 9 Plus or similar product.

For lube or cleaning and lube -- CLP or similar product.

I do most of my cleaning and lubing with CLP.

Wear some throw away gloves if you are scared about getting some on your skin.

You can also run a search because this topic comes up at least twice a year. There are other products guys like but most are similar to the two I mentioned.

LR55

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2017

CLP to clean, then Slip2000 EWL on the bolt and Slip2000 EWG on the carrier's bearing surfaces. I have found that the EWG lasts forever, stays in place instead of oil all over the upper receiver, and it doesn't seem to attract a bunch 'O crap. A patch of EWL down the bore to finish...
                              DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• -Justin-
                                Bloodstained
                                • May 2017

I like PTFE dry lube for the upper, lower, buffer and magazines. Mobil 1 0W-20 for the BCG.

Comment

Working...
                                X