Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What cleaner/lube to use for new AR

Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    I am sorry if you thought it was a dig. I guess these products no longer work as well as they did in 1997.
    Sorry you misunderstood the expression. Years ago, in my youth, I played on the base volleyball team. A "dig" was when someone saved the ball from hitting the floor, thus "digging it out" and preventing a certain score. I guess it's a little like surfer-speak, when you hear about a "gnarly" wave.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. ~ Larry Kersten

Warrior
    NG, I did misunderstand. Sorry for that. I am just trying to convey helpful information to the members and maybe do a little light hearted ribbing along the way.
    On this board I still don't know what is more important, an expensive show piece or a rifle that looks like it has been dragged through the mud but shoots one hole groups at 1000 yds. I am exagerating a bit, but not much. I guess to some one, to others the other.

Super Moderator
    Guys:

Guess what?

https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Synthet...ezox+lubricant

That said, I didn't see any bilingual instructions.

LR55

Quote Originally Posted by LR1955 View Post
    Guys:

Guess what?

https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Synthet...ezox+lubricant

That said, I didn't see any bilingual instructions.

LR55
    Well played, sir.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. ~ Larry Kersten

One thing we have to think about with the AR15 and other gas-operated weapons that generate heat wherever the excess gases are allowed to vent is lubrication of those areas.

Since the AR15 vents from within the carrier out the ejection port, any thin lubricants we place on the main reciprocating mass might have a tendency to evaporate quicker due to cooking off.

This is one area where I find thicker lubes to be useful, but this is normally on high-volume guns.

For bolt guns, I have different considerations as there is hardly any heat sinking into the bolt body or lugs.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Warrior
    I have some Eezox which I used about 10 years ago. I stopped using it for general lubrication because it dries on the surface. In operation, it provides no hydraulic shock absorption that a liquid on moving surfaces provides. On sufaces to prevent rust it works great. I keep a can of Rem oil in my range bag and if parts look dry I spray a bit. Rem oil is not greasy after a few minutes so there is no slippage in the hands but it remains between moving parts. Even a substandard oil which is used is better than the best oil which is left at home when it is needed.

Not a direct answer to the original question.

But I got my hands on a can of G96 quite some years ago. I used it on a steel everything carry pistol for a long time. It did as well as anything else I have used, and better than anything else except maybe CLP at preventing rust, even when carrying IWB here in sweatyhumidhot C FL. And it seemed to do well as far as lubricating during 2-400 round trips to the range, even after being jammed down inside my pants all week.

And I am going to leave that one right there.

I use CLP on all my match guns because it works and I've never had any problems with it. My match AR's take a beating and I usually just wipe the bolt carrier off and reapply after each match, clean real good after a couple hundred rounds. I just bought a bottle of Go-Juice from ALG Defense to start trying, seems slick and clean and that group knows AR's.

Warrior
    I saw a corrosion test where Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner won over about 16 other lubricants. I think I will try it.

I use old Hoppes #9 or KROIL for bore cleaning.

I use MOBIL 5w30 for gun oil. cheaper than CLP, doesn't burn off as fast.

works very well in all temperatures

NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

Bloodstained
    Royal Purple 5w-30 works well in all my rifles.

If it's good enough for my 500rwhp LS1 it's good enough for my guns.

Though I have used mobile 1 on machine guns in the past and it worked fine.