• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K5FAL
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Rail options for lothar walther barrels with .906 ID gas block

I have an older AA Grendel with a Lothar Walther barrel that I bought about 10 years ago. I have ordered a low profile gas block from BTE (options are very few on .906 gas blocks). I know this a long shot but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask: will a Viking Tactics Alpha Rail fit this set up?

Does anyone here have experience changing handguards with this set up? What kind did you use? Any information at all is appreciated.

Thanks.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

I have one of those sitting around for some reason.

I just checked it and the bottom drags on the inside of the VTAC handguard.

What handguard to you currently have on it and does the rifle shoot to your satisfaction?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• K5FAL
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2017

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Yankee Hill on it that I do not like and I have the Viking Tactics Alpha rail on my .223 and I love it. So I hate to hear that yours won't fit. I'm surprised it was the bottom of the gas block and not the top where the gas tube is that hit. I have a low profile gas block coming. Did you try this with your original gas block? If it's like mine, it is fairly bulky.

The reason I haven't tried my Alpha rail on the Grendel is because the bolts are lock-tighted in, and it's too short.

As for the rifle, it shoots very nice with VV N133 and Sierra 107gr bullets.

Comment

• K5FAL
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2017

If I could trouble you with one more question:

Do you happen to know where I can get the original handguard cap that came with the rifle? Maybe AA has them but they aren't listed in their parts store. I'll call them tomorrow.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I think that gas block came from the Beowulf rifles, since the Beowulf has a much larger bore diameter.

Some of those crossed over to some of the original 24" 6.5 Grendel rifles and uppers IIRC, the .906" gas block journal.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• K5FAL
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2017

Just letting you guys know that I installed a Midwest Industries G3 "m-lok" rail (12.625") and a low profile .906 gas block from Battle Tested Equipment and there were no issues. It looks great. I'd post a pic but the file is too large.

Comment

Working...
            X