• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaxsonsOldMan
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Buffer spring concern

So, I put my Grendel upper on my 5.56 lower. It seams to work just fine with hornady 123 sst, but when using the cheap wolf rounds, it makes a horrible spring noise. It seams to feed and fire fine, but I wasn't sure whether or not it was something I should make adjustments to. Should I just steer clear of wolf and stick with better ammo? I mainly just got the cheap stuff to play around with since it's mainly a hunting rig. Thoughts?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The recoil spring noise in rifle-length tubes is typical AR15.

You can polish your tube or lube it and the spring lightly, or get a JP SCS if it bothers you.

I never hear it since most of my rifles have carbine RETs. I have one AR15 retro with a rifle-length tube that I rarely shoot.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JaxsonsOldMan
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2017

So, is it ultimately nothing to worry about? Both barrels use mid length gas systems.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

It's very normal for the rifle-length RET (receiver Extension Tube) on the AR15.

We call it the "sproing".

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

My first build with an A2 stock and a rifle length tube had a horrendous "sproing". A little oil on the spring made it go away. I wonder if a film of bearing grease would have been the ticket.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I've seen guys in 3-Gun who polish the inside of their RET with a drill and a cloth using JB bore paste, stripping the dry film lube meant to suspend lubricant per the Mil-Std, if the tube even had it. Most tubes on the market are not made anywhere near the TDP.

They would then coat the recoil spring in some type of grease. Not sure how it would affect the system in the long run, but it slicked them up for sure.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JaxsonsOldMan
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2017

Perfect! Thank s for the help guys!

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I have heard a lot of solidiers kind of liked it because it was an audible noise to tell them when their mag was empty without the awkward click of a hammer dropping on a empty chamber.

My 5.56 with a A2 stock, it isn't obnoxious but it is noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                X