US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62NATO: eventually adopt 6.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

I have not seen or heard of a TDP or solicitation on any such weapon.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Texas View Post
      I have not seen or heard of a TDP or solicitation on any such weapon.
      Perhaps the idea has not yet reached that stage?

Comment

• Lightning8
        Warrior
        • Jun 2015

Every time I see this type thread, I am reminded of Ranger school in 1981 when I "volunteered" to carry a M14, the heavy mags, and the heavy ammo for the Mountain phase. The m14 was used as the "squad automatic weapon" in those days. I was very happy to give up that M14 and carry a M16A2 for the rest of the class (when I was not carrying a M60). Most people who think 308 or such "battle rifles" are cool never had to carry one every day, day after day. You carry one a whole lot more than you shoot one.

Comment

• Drift
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

It goes both ways. The Germans are putting a 5.56 on their new Puma IFV, not a 7.62. And since the Puma weighs in at 30+ tons and has a 1000 horsepower engine that extra 2or3 pounds they are saving will be irrelevant compared to the loss of capability.

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Possible Interim Battle Rifle w/25-rd mag

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Do people not think this through?
              Who are we talking about again? LOL

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
              Every time I see this type thread, I am reminded of Ranger school in 1981 when I "volunteered" to carry a M14, the heavy mags, and the heavy ammo for the Mountain phase. The m14 was used as the "squad automatic weapon" in those days. I was very happy to give up that M14 and carry a M16A2 for the rest of the class (when I was not carrying a M60). Most people who think 308 or such "battle rifles" are cool never had to carry one every day, day after day. You carry one a whole lot more than you shoot one.
              I do think they are cool. I would love a Garand or a M1A (or even a '73 trapdoor). I know they are big bulky and awkward but heck, there is a ton of history behind them and that is cool to me. In their day they were top of the line but time marches on...

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
                L8:

Same thing in 1976. M-14A1E-2 I believe. I am convinced they made us carry it because it was heavy. It didn't cycle when fired. Did yours actually work? If not, I bet you got the same one I carried five years earlier.

LR55

Comment

• Lightning8
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  L8:

Same thing in 1976. M-14A1E-2 I believe. I am convinced they made us carry it because it was heavy. It didn't cycle when fired. Did yours actually work? If not, I bet you got the same one I carried five years earlier.

LR55
                  Actually, the only redeeming quality for me was that it shot significant flame out of the barrel when firing blanks. May or may not have been used to motivate "OPFOR" to surrender . They did not trust us with live ammo - we were extremely sleep deprived.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                    I would love a Garand or a M1A... I know they are big bulky and awkward...
                    Big, yes. But, awkward? I must disagree. I used to have an M1A with an E2 stock. Looked exactly like that in the photo below. It had the best fit, feel, and handling of any rifle I've ever fired.

It was somewhat longer and heavier than I preferred, though, so I had planned to install a shorter flash suppressor and shorten the barrel a bit, sorta like this:

Of course, select-fire would be even better...

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                      Big, yes. But, awkward? I must disagree. I used to have an M1A with an E2 stock. Looked exactly like that in the photo below. It had the best fit, feel, and handling of any rifle I've ever fired.

It was somewhat longer and heavier than I preferred, though, so I had planned to install a shorter flash suppressor and shorten the barrel a bit, sorta like this:

Of course, select-fire would be even better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N06ySsT2EKU
                      I have only played with Garands and have never fired one. They do sight nicely but are kind of like holding a fence post. They don't put M1A's on the use rack at Sheels yet lol.

Comment

• n9nwo
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                        Articles all over the place this morning. A lot of them came up on FB.

BTW I sort of felt that a 6.5x45 might be a better round than the 6.5 Grendel (6.5x39). But the Grendel at least works in our current rifles so less replacements of weapons, initially.

Comment

• n9nwo
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by MeatAxe View Post
                          Here's another one, the ".264 USA" round, et al:

Recently, I've shared quite a few briefings by Jim Schatz. It's not only because he recently passed away, but also because they are so timely. We ...

Can't say that everyone in the military has their head stuck in the sand regarding that turkey of a M4 5.56 platform. Somebody is thinking outside of the box. Unfortunately, this would necessitate totally new lowers, uppers and magazines, etc....no mention of the existing mass-produced and extensively developed 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel rounds that could use existing lowers and mags. Looks like another promising and lucrative study leading nowhere.

Result: "the M4 / 5.56 is the greatest implement of battle ever conceived!"
                          The greatest hindrance to a new weapon system is that the M4 is so widely accepted and has become so inexpensive.

The only way to get a new weapon is to have a new cartridge. That has been the case since the M14. I do like some of the new designs which are very modular. Like the Tavor X95.

Comment

• n9nwo
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                            Based on economics and availability, my guess would be this:

"What weapons are the most common we have encountered that fire 7.62x54R?"

The Mosin Nagant, the weapon that has lost more wars than any other.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by n9nwo View Post
                              "What weapons are the most common we have encountered that fire 7.62x54R?"

The Mosin Nagant, the weapon that has lost more wars than any other.
                              I think it has won more wars than any other rifle too...

If we stuck with the cheap and what we already have we would still be messing around trying to modernize 1855 Springfield designs.

We can't stay with the status que just because it is what we have had.
                              Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 04-19-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by n9nwo View Post
                                BTW I sort of felt that a 6.5x45 might be a better round than the 6.5 Grendel (6.5x39). But the Grendel at least works in our current rifles so less replacements of weapons, initially.
                                A fact that almost certainly does not matter. In the last 125 years, the US Army has never adopted a new cartridge to upgrade old weapons.

Comment

Working...
                                X