US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62NATO: eventually adopt 6.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

It depends on how political the Joint Chief of Staff has become. Under Obama the military took on all kinds of social experimental changes that was not conducive to a strong military or keeping the nation safe. There were many who were replaced by a more progressive thinking leadership to advance this agenda. http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...nap-story.html
    Never under estimate the insanity of certain groups and the ability of using the carrot of advancement to pass PC agendas, even in the military. I would love to see the cost difference between our M-855A1 round compared to the Russians 5.45X39 equivalent. I would also like to see the actual combat effectiveness of the different cartridges. I doubt we are getting the best bang per buck and justifying the cost difference because the round is more environmentally friendly is not an unreasonable assumption . That said, I have read the M855A1 is an outstanding cartridge and I have also read the Marines refuse to use it because it is over pressured and destroys the uppers necessitating a whole new magazine.These days it is hard to understand or believe anything.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
      Under Obama the military took on all kinds of social experimental changes that was not conducive to a strong military or keeping the nation safe.
      Women in front line combat is, for me, Exhibit A that politically correct social engineering trumps force effectiveness.

Weapons designed not to offend politically correct sensibilities is Exhibit B.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
        Maybe the mil is using the environmentalists to justify the cost of what the mil believes are much more lethal bullets?
        You're close, but not quite right. Environmental regulations seeking to eliminate lead pollution on US training ranges did indeed mandate the change to lead-free ball ammo.

The Army leadership then figured if they had to go lead-free, they would take the opportunity to simultaneously design the new bullet to have improved terminal performance.

Seems like a win-win to me. Environmentalists get a win in their efforts to save the planet, and soldiers win by getting a more effective bullet. I don't see a reason to complain.
        Last edited by stanc; 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
          You're close, but not quite right. Environmental regulations seeking to eliminate lead pollution on US training ranges did indeed mandate the change to lead-free ball ammo.

The Army leadership then figured if they had to go lead-free, they would take the opportunity to simultaneously design the new bullet to have improved terminal performance.

Seems like a win-win to me. Environmentalists get a win in their efforts to save the planet, and soldiers win by getting a more effective bullet. I don't see a reason to complain.
          Stan:

Makes sense to me. We got a better bullet out of it so how come everyone is complaining?

LR55

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

It depends on how political the Joint Chief of Staff has become. Under Obama the military took on all kinds of social experimental changes that was not conducive to a strong military or keeping the nation safe. There were many who were replaced by a more progressive thinking leadership to advance this agenda.
            Social experimental changes in the military are not unique to Obama, nor did they begin with him. Following WWII, a "more progressive thinking leadership" undertook to integrate negro soldiers throughout the Army, instead of keeping them in segregated units as they had previously been. No doubt at the time there were a whole lot of white soldiers complaining about such a politically correct action being imposed.

I would love to see the cost difference between our M-855A1 round compared to the Russians 5.45X39 equivalent.
            AFAIK, the Russians don't actually have an equivalent 5.45x39 bullet.

For cost comparison, the nearest equivalent is probably the 9x39 SPP.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Stan:

Makes sense to me. We got a better bullet out of it so how come everyone is complaining?

LR55
              So the rumors that the new M855A1 is near proof load in pressure, cutting the service life of our weapon plat forms in half is false? The rumor that it violates our agreement with NATO since the new mags and pressures are not NATO compatible and other members refuse to use it in their weapon plat forms is also false?
              Last edited by montana; 04-28-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

So the rumors that the new M855A1 is near proof load in pressure, cutting the service life of our weapon plat forms in half is false? The rumor that it violates our agreement with NATO since the new mags and pressures are not NATO compatible and other members refuse to use it in their weapon plat forms is also false?
                Those are different subjects than what has been under discussion: Lead-core vs lead-free bullet effectiveness.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMCSZEw_dZc
                  So, I should believe rumors are true?

How about a DoD report?

LR55

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

So, I should believe rumors are true?

How about a DoD report?

LR55
                    I'm not trying to argue, just looking for the truth. Chris Bartocci has a life time in the firearm industry having worked for Colt. He is the author of The Black Rifle 2. I don't tend to dismiss his vast knowledge on M-16 platform. It just seems were getting conflicting reports. I remember when the M855 round came out and it was considered the best thing since sliced bread by the DoD. It didn't perform very well in real world engagements, hence the M-855A1 .
                    Last edited by montana; 04-28-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                      Those are different subjects than what has been under discussion: Lead-core vs lead-free bullet effectiveness.
                      Yes and I was only trying to see if the M855A1 is as good as some reported it was. The cost and actual effectiveness per round is what is the subject if I'm not mistaken. I'm getting conflicting reports on the M-855A1 round and just wanted to discus it, not get into an argument.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Here's a good article on M855A1 performance, with video: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...the-real-deal/

Short story: It smokes AR680 Level III + armor plates, smokes the heavier CMU blocks, and has much better terminal performance with both fragmentation and penetration compared to M855 62gr with the concealed penetrator. It out-performs M80 147gr 7.62x51 NATO with ease when looking at barrier defeat of both armor steel, wonder blocks, and has better wound inflicting characteristics as well. It laid the foundation for the new M80A1 7.62 NATO, which mimics the M855A1 construction, but with a much poorer BC than 147gr M80 FMJBT, attempting to compensate for this poor BC with much higher muzzle velocity.

There was a detailed discussion I recall where the propellant has been re-engineered to reduce chamber pressure without sacrificing too much performance.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 04-28-2017, 05:35 PM.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

I have seen some of these test and it looks like a winner but the conflicting reports have continued. I have not heard about the up-graded powder reducing the pressures. Excellent, thank you!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

It started out as a combination of addressing excessive yaw in flight from tungsten core projectiles they experimented with, and an environmentally-friendly effort to appease increasing pressure from that crowd, since several Army training areas were being threatened with closure by States (MA) that had excessively restrictive policies that the Federal government would have to abide by. This program entered Phase II after the tungsten core key-holing issues, as well as the realization that tungsten might even be worse than lead. All the lead agencies met for Phase II to address how they would move forward with addressing these challenges with 5.56 NATO ammunition.

The program leads and contractors were laying out the scope of the effort when the Infantry Center repSOCOM rep echoed the same sentiment.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Stan:

Gene, I don't know. I find it quite illogical to complain about adopting a new bullet that outperforms the old one.

The only reason I can think of which makes any sense is that it's an emotional reaction to being forced to change.

I mean, a lot of Horde members actually choose to use lead-free bullets for hunting, and one even developed his own!

(Which, rather ironically, looks exactly like an EPR bullet. )

This is a continuation of my "Tale of Two Bullets" thread, which itself was a continuation of my "Ideal 6.5 Grendel Bullet" thread. "Sneaky One" and I tested some loads yesterday for my prototype 6.5mm Cerberus 90-grain copper body/aluminum tip bullet. Here are some photos, just for fun, and our
                              Last edited by stanc; 04-28-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

There was a bit of understandable pushback when it was first an environmental priority, versus combat focus and soldier priority. If you read my post above, you see that they dealt with that PDQ.

The resulting projectile is a major step up in performance over M855 and M80. Biggest challenge they encountered was how the new exposed steel penetrators damage the inside of magazine bodies, as well as the M4 and SAW feed ramp(s).

With the Magpul M3, the feed lip angle orients the projectile so that it feeds more in alignment with the chamber, without impacting the upper receiver. This is one of the main problems they had with M855A1 from the start, and why they made the EPM as well for the Army.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X