• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

2nd REALLY Mangy Coyote This year - 255 yard shot

Was hunting hogs. Spied hogs on the neighbor's place, mixed with cattle. I wanted the hogs to come across the fence and then be in a position that when I shot, no cattle were down range. So I set up the call and ducked back in a group of trees such that when I could see the hogs, I would have a safe direction for firing. Great plan. It didn't work, but it was a great plan.

What did happen is that a coyote came in to the hog sounds. I was scanning my shooting area when I spotted it maybe 80 yards away, but had trouble identifying it because of how it was standing. He apparently identified me just fine, however, and bolted. So the video picks up with him running away...

Nifty shot off of Jim Shockey Triggersticks. I paced the distance and used GPS. 263 paces and GPS said it was 255 yards.

No bullet analysis at all except to say that the wound was through and through and that I did not see any overt signs of significant expansion as being indicated by the exit wound. Between the severe manage and smell of the coyote, I really didn't want to touch it.

Never did get any of the hogs to cross over to my side of the fence.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Les
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

When you said "mangy" you weren't kidding. Wow, saw a few like that this year too, but not that bad.
    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Mac7
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2017

Too bad about the hogs. But good job on the yote.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

I have killed one yote that was that mangy. Good shot

Comment

• s3silver
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Your second chupacabra!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Good job on the yote.

I forgot you use the triggersticks, are you useing the three legged triggersticks DNS?

I have been useing them for two season's now, how are yours holding up?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Yes, the two legged ones have a weird tilting problem if you don't support them correctly (and I don't) and so I use the tripod version. Mine are 3 years old now and I finally have one leg that got wet too many times that no longer extends via pulling the trigger and gravity alone. Also, the whole grip/head isn't quite as snug as it was and has a bit of wobble. I have a replacement set (still gen II, not the new gen III version) that I need to get a carry strap on and start using.

I think they are far from perfect because of the failure of the legs when subjected to moisture. It seems to be the most common problem with them. That I got 3 years out of mine before the problem started seems to be pretty good for as often as I use mine and the number of times I have been out in damp, misty, and sometimes rainy weather. However, when functioning properly, I think they are among the most easy to use for stalking purposes.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Excellent shot! How are you compensating for drop?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Yep bout the same with mine, I had the tripod triggerstick's as well legs started to stick from getting wet very often.

The head part on mine did start a wobble a few time's but I was able to tighten it back down.

I got about two hard deer season's and two good yote and hog hunting summers out of mine before they dropped dead the other night.

Where did you find the gen III triggerstick's at haven't seen them listed anywhere I have looked.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

I had not found any per se. I had seen them advertised, saw they were more expensive than the Gen II versions and decided to go with Gen 2 again. Checking back, apparently they aren't even out yet despite being listed by Primos and Midway.

Comment

• 37L1
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

That's a really nice shot particularly considering the distance. Way to go!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

DNS, thanks for the heads up on the gen III.

I just checked them out on the youtube, will be getting me a pair when they hit the shelf's, untill then like you I'm going to be running the gen II again, might take them apart and spray the inside of the legs down with some water proofing spray to see if that helps them last a bit longer.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

If that works, let me know!!!!!!!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Just for the giggle factor I took apart the set that gave out the other day and what I found is the reason they start to not working right is the parts that are tasked with holding in in position freeze up do to the grease they put in them not lasting very long.

The lil roller bearings lock up and the assembly that they are in is made of a plastic and the part that press's on them to make them bite is steel so it rusted out, their is also a lil delrin ring their to help with the hold if that ring is broke they won't hold any more, causeing the leg to slid on its own when weight is put on it.

So there is no why to fix them once they start down this road, I'm talking about the gen II tripod just to clarify.

I watched the vid of the gen III and they seem to have improved on this issue.

Took my new set of gen II sticks and sprayed the inside down with a waterproofing spray today hopefully it will make a diffrence.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

That was a great shot.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X