• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Retro
    Warrior
    • Jul 2016

Receiver Lapping Tool

After reading post after post about lapping an upper receiver I decided to purchase a lapping tool. The main tools available were the Wheeler lapping tool and the Brownell's. The reviews seemed somewhat mixed as to the quality of these tools but during my research a toolmaker out of Oregon popped up. They make the lapping tools on demand rather than mass producing them. I just received mine and am really pleased with the quality and finish of this tool. Everything is first class and if you want a quality tool here is the web address. www.pacifictoolandgauge.com There is a little lead time as they aren't mass produced but the wait is well worth it.
    Last edited by Retro; 04-06-2017, 11:54 PM. Reason: Spelling and technical name
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Thanks for the report sir.

I have seen their name come up a few times when researching the lapping tool.

I choose to go with the wheeler lapping tool, have lapped four upper's with it and it has done a fine job for what I played for it.

When you use it could you post up a few pics or a short vid, would be nice to compare the results against the wheeler.

Comment

• Retro
      Warrior
      • Jul 2016

I will do that indeed. I am currently awaiting an Alexander Arms 16" lite barrel. When that arrives (it shipped today) I have all of the other parts to build my new blaster. I can try a vid but, let's just say, we'll see. The tool from Pacific Tool and Gauge was no more expensive than going thru Midway or Brownells. The lapping tool ran me $28 + shipping of about $9. It came nicely packaged in something similar to a plastic reusable sleeve.
      Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      Thanks for the report sir.

I have seen their name come up a few times when researching the lapping tool.

I choose to go with the wheeler lapping tool, have lapped four upper's with it and it has done a fine job for what I played for it.

When you use it could you post up a few pics or a short vid, would be nice to compare the results against the wheeler.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Just do the work vertically so it doesn't bias with gravity. I use lapping compound that I ordered from Brownell's too, and make sure to not get it inside the upper.

You also need to oil the tool so it spins freely inside the upper.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Retro
          Warrior
          • Jul 2016

Thanks for the tip. Lapping compound in the upper would make short work of the bolt and the upper. I figure a good cleaning afterwards will be in order.
          Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Just do the work vertically so it doesn't bias with gravity. I use lapping compound that I ordered from Brownell's too, and make sure to not get it inside the upper.

You also need to oil the tool so it spins freely inside the upper.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

If you are removing some material from the face of the receiver, do you have to cut the notch on the receiver a bit deeper as well?

Comment

• karmavore
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2017

FWIW, you can also use these tools to lap 1" scope rings - the diameter of the shaft that turns inside the upper receiver is an inch

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                If you are removing some material from the face of the receiver, do you have to cut the notch on the receiver a bit deeper as well?
                You should be removing a very small amount of material. Not enough to matter for the slot.

FWIW the PTG tool is in stock, I ordered #21 this morning. Right now they show 18.

Comment

• kevperro
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                  You should be removing a very small amount of material. Not enough to matter for the slot.

FWIW the PTG tool is in stock, I ordered #21 this morning. Right now they show 18.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ar-to...ping-tool.html
                  I'm skeptical.... you can often do more harm than good with these types of things. I'd have no problem sending a complete assembly (barrel, BCG, receiver) into a shop with the tools to measure and match machine the receiver but I think you are better off assembling and shooting it before deciding it needs to be fixed. If you decide there is an accuracy deficiency I'd then systematically look for root causes and allow a gunsmith/machinist to deal with it.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

You can't be stupid when you do it.

I did a lot of research and couldn't find anyone that screwed anything up by using it. Lapping is kind of a slow process, it isn't like a circular saw.

I am hung up waiting on a barrel, I thought it would be a fun thing to try.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

At this point in time I have used my wheeler lapping tool to lap six uppers and it has not damaged the upper in any way shape or form.

It's not like your running the tool at 6000 rpm's are trying to drive it like hercule's into the upper.

You just let it seat into the upper and slow let turn it with the cordless drill for bout 20 seconds remove clean the tool and upper check if more lapping is needed.

Oil the shaft of the tool and it run' s very smooth.

LRRPF, gave me a good peace of advice once put the tool in the upper and hold it to the light if the light gap is the same all around you don't need to lapp the upper. Buying a upper from a quality company helps.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        Buying a upper from a quality company helps.
                        It probably does but I read of them needing it too from time to time too.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Oh I'm not saying they don't just that your more likely too get one that doesn't need lapping if it's bought from a retailer of q uaility parts.

Out of all the uppers I have lapped the only one's that didn't need it was the PF upper's mine and my woman's is built on, the rest or a mixture of anderson,aero and a joebobs sidecharging upper.

On a side note the joebob's sidecharger will be on all my rifle's from now on and I will be replacing my PF upper with it due to the sidecharging feature is so awesome for my style of hunting.

Comment

Working...
                          X