X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonny rotton
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

what is the procedure you use to adjust an adjustable gas block?? i am putting one on my new 12". it was the only one i had sitting around

Comment

• explorecaves
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Start with it closed and fire one round at a time till it locks back on the empty mag. Then open one more click. Should be good to go on most ammo at that point.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Start it wide open and load one round in mag fire and lower gas each round till it doesn't lock back then turn back half turn and fire round if it locks back lock it down and shoot ten rounds if no problems happen your set, if it has a problem unlock the block and open anouther half turn and re lock the block it should be set.

That's how I did it, but have done it the way Explorecaves posted and I didn't care for it because it was a pain to extract the empty case because the bcg didn't get any gas and it didn't allow the bolt to completely unlock, but both ways do work fine.

Comment

• explorecaves
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I usually do some research to find where people have theirs set (number of clicks or turns) and then close it 1-1.5 turns and work my way open till it locks back

Comment

• jonny rotton
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

thank you all for your advice!! i appreciate it.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
              thank you all for your advice!! i appreciate it.
              SLR Rifle works advices customers to start in the middle and work up or down. I will add that the best spot is where it locks back on last round. Either stop there or go one further to be sure. So load mags of one round at a time.

I agree with Speleocaves. Fully closed tends to stick the bolt in place and makes it difficult to open with no compound leverage of a charge handle.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                Unless you can shoot the wings off a gnat at 300 yards, you will be replacing the barrel due to chamber erosion long before you will notice an issue due to port erosion irregardless of gas block type. They are just nitpicking the minutia....
                You shoot their wings off? Thats easy, try and keep em buggers from breeding..

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                  You shoot their wings off? Thats easy, try and keep em buggers from breeding..
                  Those Dragon's Breath 12ga shells work great on gnat clouds.

We don't have clouds around here anything like down in LA though. We were traveling to Shreveport for a conference once and the swarms on the side of the highway looked like they could carry off our car if we swerved into one...
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Hansel&Grendel
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2017

FWIW, I've used SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 adj. gas blocks (clamp-on) on my Criterion 6.5G 16" and 11.5" SBR (the latter with a Law Tactical folding stock adapter). I've also used them on other builds for myself and others. Mark at PF worked his magic on the Criterions including nitriding them. With the SBR, I use a JP LMOS BC with Mark's 6.5G bolt, a carbine buffer (3oz) and a JP Custom Centerless ground/polished carbine buffer spring. The rationale was to use a lower weight BC because the Law Tactical BC insert itself weighs 2.2 ounces. I have the SLR on click 5 from closed.

An SLR gas block adjustment screw on a .223 Wylde build did freeze. I loosened it but SLR replaced it gratis with a newer design (great CS). So, when servicing the barrel, I click the SLR to fully closed to keep solvent out of the gas block and to also loosen any carbon deposits on the gas block adjustment screw.

The SBR shoots very nicely with quick follow-up shots, i.e., recoil is a bit more than my 16" AR 7.62x39. However, the 6.5G SBR annihilates at CQB and is lethal to at least 600 yards I'm sure. Not bad for a truck gun. Hopefully, port erosion won't be an issue although the nitriding does calm the mind. Lastly, 2A Armament makes a regulated BC as a means, in part, to alleviate port erosion; however, it is incompatible with the Law folder.

Hans

Comment

Working...
                    X