A Less Serious Look At Hunting Ballistics - video example from this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

A Less Serious Look At Hunting Ballistics - video example from this weekend.

I put this video together with the horde in mind. I actually had a really bad night hunting. This was just icing on the cow patty. Maybe 40 hogs and I managed to only get 2 and the second one wasn't even the one I am was aiming for. This video is about this second hog. I made the shot trying to use information from my previous mistakes (not shown here) to estimate how much lead I needed to drop the hog I intended. So take a look at the video and see which hog you think will get hit.

The math and ballistics are mostly approximations. Feel free to poke fun at any of it.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 04-09-2017, 01:55 AM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Running shots are about the trickiest shot you can make and unless you are doing it regularly like the europeans on their driven boar hunts, it can be most frustrating as you found when the sounder moved off. The distance you shot at compounded the difficulty as well but you have gained a valuable insight for the next outing.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I still miss the ping.

That's an awesome video and I just used it as a teaching moment with my son and daughter both of whom hunt.

Thank you.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Was the teaching moment to be careful that you don't shoot the wrong animal?

I had the luxury of not having to worry about collateral damage in this field. Missing my intended hog an hitting another, while embarrassing, would still aid the landowner. Under other conditions, I would have even attempted the shot, particularly as I was having a bad night.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

I simply pointed out how important lead is on moving targets.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Amazing, I picked number 1.
            No doubt you adjusted a fraction of an inch for the Coriolis effect ;-)

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

DNS a few lesson's on the sleet range could probably help with running shots.

I will admit I try not to take running shots at game but I grow up a duck hunter and I understand leed on game very well.

Might be a way to help sharpen up your running shot skills.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Thanks! I used to shoot skeet every week. I know the training help pilots and aerial gunners quite a bit, but the machineguns they were using performed much in the same manner and a shotgun, producing a pattern in which to hit targets. I can't pull the trigger fast enough to do that. :-)

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

I might have missed it, but to me it looked like you hit the hog you were leading, it was being passed by a second hog when you dropped the hammer - that particular hog got lucky for passing on the right.

If it were the difference between a Cow/Doe or Bull/Stag hunting tag, and you did hit the wrong one....fun day with the DOW.

You may have missed your intended target, but still scored a hit and now there are +/- 38 left in that sounder. I say good job. No different that taking a shot into a flock of Doves in flight. Might get the one you are tracking, might get collateral. Still putting food on the table.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• rickt300
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

My usual comment on shots like that is there was so much luck riding on the bullet it hit like a freight train! Or nice shooting, should have bought lottery tickets. It does show the Grendel hits pretty hard way out there.

Comment

• 37L1
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

Running shots at 180 yards, man, I'd be lucky to hit anything. . .

Just sayin'.

Normally, I wouldn't have taken the shot but under the circumstances, with no risk of collateral damage, desire of the landowner, etc., I say "Nice Shootin'!"

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Thanks y'all. No damage in hitting the wrong target in this situation where the only thing in the field is hogs.

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

I so rarely have that luxury. The place I usually kill hogs for control purposes you can hear music coming from a Mexican bar and there are busy streets in two directions within 400 yards. Pass more shots than I can take most of the time.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                            I might have missed it, but to me it looked like you hit the hog you were leading, it was being passed by a second hog when you dropped the hammer - that particular hog got lucky for passing on the right.

If it were the difference between a Cow/Doe or Bull/Stag hunting tag, and you did hit the wrong one....fun day with the DOW.

You may have missed your intended target, but still scored a hit and now there are +/- 38 left in that sounder. I say good job. No different that taking a shot into a flock of Doves in flight. Might get the one you are tracking, might get collateral. Still putting food on the table.
                            Agree with Sticks on this. Looks like the hog you got took one for the team. Good Shooting,Luck or Not...

Comment

• Texas
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                              Amazing, I picked number 1.
                              No doubt you adjusted a fraction of an inch for the Coriolis effect ;-)
                              The coriollis effect in Texas is something fierce, and the past week the wind has been even fiercer. That is the first time that I have been able to see Double Naught Spy use holdover, I actually thought his scope was adjusting for range. Makes me appreciate some of his other shots much more.

I have been amazed at how much a pig has to be lead when it is heading for the woods!

Comment

Working...
                              X