• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 68wicked
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Reloading Dies

Just broke in my 264LBC and want to start working up loads for it. . Which dies should I purchase RCBS 6.5 Grendel. 264LBC or AR .264LBC. Thank you for any advise.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Redding 6.5 Grendel hands down.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have the Hornady New Dimension 6.5 Grendel dies and the RCBS 264 LBC AR dies. The RCBS dies are FL (Full length size), SB (Small Base), TC (Taper Crimp) dies. Both dies work but my decapping pin came loose on my RCBS dies and I bent my decapping pin. Trying to straighten the pin it broke which wasn't surprising. Unfortunately I didn't have the correct size replacement decapping pin. The Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass requires a very small diameter decapping pin.

The Hornady dies come with a spare decapping pin. Both dies sets work and I bought the Hornady dies first. I saw the RCBS dies on sale for a great price and bought them. It was handy to have two sets of dies. I did buy a package of RCBS small decapping pins but I haven't checked to see if they will work with the Lapua brass. A Friend gave me a small RCBS decapping pin which worked in Hornady brass but got stuck in the Lapua's small diameter flash hole. I may have also bent the RCBS decapping rod so at this point I'd recommend the Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies. Just make sure you buy a Shell holder from Hornady.

I wouldn't recommend the Lee dies as members have reported the Lee sizing dies over work the necks on the 6.5 Grendel brass. Supposedly your 6.5 Grendel brass won't last as long using Lee dies. Redding dies get great reviews.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-10-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Vascar2, why don't you call RCBS? They have some of the best customer service around. I have broke decapping pins,stuff on my trimmer,and bent decapping rods. They have always taken great care of me and it was always my fault. Sent new replacements to me at no charge. Call them, I believe you will be impressed.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I pulled my de-capping pin from my Hornady dies and just use a Lee universal decapping die first on dirty brass, then tumble polish.

I then full-length size with the Horandy die. I would not use a small base die for 6.5 Grendel, as it really leads to damaged brass that has been fired from a gas gun. You will see the sides of the case down by the base get pushed too narrow, with a ripple forming in many instances, and we've seen that here before with people that have used them.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I was at a large gun store a few days after I broke the pin and they had some small pins in stock. If the pins are the wrong size or the guide rod is bent I'll probably give them a call. I called RCBS once before when I crushed a cup on a priming tool, the tech sent replacement parts very quick with no charge.

I'd always used RCBS dies since the late 70's when I bought my Rock Chucker and never had any issues. I like my 264 LBC dies but the Hornady decapping rod/pin seems to hold more secure than the RCBS design.

Comment

• Steamburn
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

I also decap using a Lee decaping die and then tumble polish and I'm about to embark in reloading 6.5 Grendel. By now I have accumulated enough brass to start doing so.
              My big question is Hornady vs. Redding?
              The Hornady set is ~$54 while the Redding set is ~$95. Is that price difference really significant in the quality of the dies?

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Most people would never know the difference between the hornady and Redding 6.5g dies. I use Redding if I'm neck sizing, or using bushings... for semi-autos hornady FL and Seating die work great, and I actually prefer the lock rings on the Hornady better... MUCH better. PLUS Hornady was one of the first big names to jump into bed with the Grendel, so I try to give their products the first go with most things grendel related... but that's just me for purely personal reasons.

Comment

• Steamburn
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

Kilco,
                  Thanks!!!
                  Hornady will be.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

I seem to be one of those reloaders who can't make up their mind on which equipment to use, as I went the hybrid route.

I converted my Rock Chucker Supreme to the Hornady LNL system so that I can use the quick change bushings both on it as well as my LNL progressive. Add to that the InlineFabrication mount for the presses, it makes for relatively easy caliber changes.

With the single stage, I use Hornady's New Dimension custom dies for the Grendel and 22-250, both of which turn out very accurate ammunition with virtually no bullet runout. I've noticed, however, that the necks in both seem to be getting overworked, as these two dies result in the greatest number of split necks (as compared to my RCBS 223, 243 and 308 dies).

As a result, just yesterday I placed an order for a Redding Type-S Grendel full length sizer with the appropriate bushings. I intend to full length size without the expander and see how that goes. The Grendel brass is Hornady, now in its 8th sizing. I have quite a bit of it to use up, but I'm going to put a fresh batch of 20 cases into circulation for comparison.

Time will tell.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Texkitch
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2017

I started with the Lee dies and they worked fine for my first few hundred rounds but the seating die seemed inconsistent. Then I got the Hornady Custom Series full length set on sale and they have been very good. I'm loading all Hornady brass. I would also recommend the Hornady Microjust seating stem. It adds to the Hornady seating die. Very nice addition for getting the COAL you want for different bullets. Hope the link works.

Comment

• camekanix
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2017

Thanks for the link! My Hornady dies just showed up today and that will be a nice addition.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2015

I reload several other calibers using RCBS but ended up getting the Hornady dies for 6.5 Grendel, my first Hornady dies. I am experiencing issues with them not resizing the shoulder enough and I do not get along well with the rubber washer they use for the seating die. When you torque down the seating adjustment, it crushes the rubber washer which does not seem like a good setup for me for a repeatable, consistent OAL.

For those of you who have broken RCBS decapping pins - this is covered by their warranty (although it would be nice if they just threw in an extra like Hornady does). Just give them a call and you'll have a new one in the mail in a few days. I've done this twice with them and am very happy with RCBS. I wish I would've gone RCBS for the Grendel.

Comment

• lwminton
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                            Redding 6.5 Grendel hands down.

Richard
                            what he said

Comment

• Texkitch
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                              I reload several other calibers using RCBS but ended up getting the Hornady dies for 6.5 Grendel, my first Hornady dies. I am experiencing issues with them not resizing the shoulder enough and I do not get along well with the rubber washer they use for the seating die. When you torque down the seating adjustment, it crushes the rubber washer which does not seem like a good setup for me for a repeatable, consistent OAL.
                              I agree on the rubber washer. I removed it when I added the Microjust seating stem. Very consistent COALs now.

Comment

Working...
                              X