X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Great shooting!! 1000 yards with the Grendel is no joke. First round hit is seriously impressive. I've followed your posts as you got your builders kit in and were anxiously awaiting your 22" JP kit. Glad to see it paid off, and you are getting the results you expected.

Hunting seasons kicking off here in Maine as well. I've sold a boat load of the R700 Long Range in 300 ultra mag to green shooters watching American Sniper over and over.

It's always a treat watching them take their first shots...

Keeps my lathe going threading barrels and muzzle brakes goijnf out the door...lol

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Sticks - unfortunately, if someone brought it up at a board meeting, their eyes would glaze over and the President would say "what does that have to do with shooting trap?" Then another board member would add "or Cowboy Action Shooting?"

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
      Great shooting!! 1000 yards with the Grendel is no joke. First round hit is seriously impressive. I've followed your posts as you got your builders kit in and were anxiously awaiting your 22" JP kit. Glad to see it paid off, and you are getting the results you expected.

Hunting seasons kicking off here in Maine as well. I've sold a boat load of the R700 Long Range in 300 ultra mag to green shooters watching American Sniper over and over.

It's always a treat watching them take their first shots...

Keeps my lathe going threading barrels and muzzle brakes goijnf out the door...lol
      To be fair, the firing line is at 6600ASL and my velocity was around 1375 at 1k, so still > Mach 1.2. I input a sea level average pressure of 29.92 Hg and kept the othe environmentals the same and 1375 is about what it would be doing at 800 yds - and it would be just off mach 1 at 1k. I buy into the destabilization thing at Mach 1.2 since I'm able to observe it with 223 at 900 yards on windless days with the ballistics model starting to fall short, as well as randomly widening POIs after adjusting holdover. A 123 gr 6.5 is obviously going to transition better, but a little bit of luck does enter the equation after going below Mach 1.2....

I was going to suggest that you wheel a box of bricks out of the back on a hand truck after you close a super ultra mag rifle sale and say "your going to need these", but I guess that might impact threading and muzzle brake sales. Lol
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
        I was going to suggest that you wheel a box of bricks out of the back on a hand truck after you close a super ultra mag rifle sale and say "your going to need these", but I guess that might impact threading and muzzle brake sales. Lol
        Nah, just upsell on some analgesic cream. Helps heal the bruised shoulders faster.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

This thread is cool. From cradle to adulthood on one page, adulthood being 1st round hit at 1016yds.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Perhaps the greatest "Stonehenge" of them all. Relocated to Phoenix and got to range this morning to work on a summer match load. Had been using 30.8 grains CFE 223 in CO (123 Scenar / Lapua case / GM205MAR) but that would obviously be too much in the summer heat here. 30.4 grains is where I started a short ladder and it looks like it hits the spot at 95 degrees. The 4 together measure under 0.20", the StoneHendge brings it out to 0.55"

IMG_20200812_135916-1036x777.jpg

The velocity was the crazy part:

2596 / 2599 / 2598 / 2598 / 2595

SD 1 / ES 4

I'm guessing the barrel has little bit over 2k on it at this point.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Your primers OK at that speed? That is crazy. My Howa guns are working hard at that speed.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Sticks! Now that I'm in AZ, you're 3:30am post was at 2:30!

Primers looked absolutely fine. I ran the ladder from 30.4 to 30.8 in 0.1 increments and 30.8 gave me a bigger velocity jump (from 2631with 30.7 to 2648 with 30.8) and some very light ejector marks. The keg of CFE 223 is relatively new and was giving about 20-25 fps more at 70 degrees 30.8 in CO/NM than my first keg, so it is a fast batch. I'm thinking it's a powder that likes to be warm. I've also noticed data for other calibers recently where CFE gives a lot higher velocities than other powders for a given mix. For 6 ARC Hornady has it running 75 fps faster than anything else.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                X