• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Looks like I got a short chamber

Bought a AA 18" fluted barrel, got the upper together and the first round was a little hard to chamber. I didn't think much of it and rechambered it and it fired fine. Ran a box of sst's and Amax's out of it and everything seemed to be fine, I have also ran another 100 rounds of wolf steel case. Yesterday I was at the range and first round didn't chamber again only this time I could get extractor to grab the round and it was stuck. Got home and used a cleaning rod to unstick it. Wasn't stuck bad at all.

Tried the trick of seating the round with my finger and see if it falls out on its own. Wolf falls out under gravity but the hornady rounds will not come out even with a hard slam on the butt of the gun. Doesn't take much to get them to drop free with the cleaning rod but I noticed a ring around the top of the bullet Like the chamber was scratching the bullet. I assume this is a short chamber which really sucks since I will more than likely have to pull the barrel and ship it back to AA. Then put it back together when it comes back(after who knows how long) I have read a lot about short chambers lately, maybe the Grendel 2 chamber is the way to go.
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

what bolt do you have? .136 is the AA bolt face depth needed. Think the other face depth is .125 and would cause the short chamber issue...

Comment

• Texkitch
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2017

Me too. Is this the compact

I just bought a 16" AA fluted and it also appears to be a short chamber. I had some similar difficulties extracting the first few unfired rounds which I had hand loaded to COAL of 2.260". I read some posts on the measurement techniques and using rasp65's slotted case technique I came up with these COALs in the picture when I just touch the lands. I am planning to just experiment with jump distances to find what's best. Am I missing something?
      Attached Files

Comment

• explorecaves
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Once again, check your bolt face depth and report back....

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Oh man I surely hope AA didn't receive a run of short chambers as my 16" is due in shortly.

Comment

• pajasonc
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
            Once again, check your bolt face depth and report back....
            Bolt is PF. But it sticks when pushing the round in with your finger. Wolf ammo works fine it falls out of the chamber under Gravity. Hornady SST and Amax both stick

Comment

• Schrambo
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

I just got my AA 18" and bolt this week, so I just ran out to the man cave and measured it at 2.29" with the gauge... Dropped in some Wolf, which fell out by gravity, dropped 2 hand loads at 2.26" and 2.27", both stuck with no gravity drop, but ejected fine... Hopefully I can shoot it this week and have some results to share...

Comment

• 1911man
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
                Bought a AA 18" fluted barrel, got the upper together and the first round was a little hard to chamber. I didn't think much of it and rechambered it and it fired fine. Ran a box of sst's and Amax's out of it and everything seemed to be fine, I have also ran another 100 rounds of wolf steel case. Yesterday I was at the range and first round didn't chamber again only this time I could get extractor to grab the round and it was stuck. Got home and used a cleaning rod to unstick it. Wasn't stuck bad at all.

Tried the trick of seating the round with my finger and see if it falls out on its own. Wolf falls out under gravity but the hornady rounds will not come out even with a hard slam on the butt of the gun. Doesn't take much to get them to drop free with the cleaning rod but I noticed a ring around the top of the bullet Like the chamber was scratching the bullet. I assume this is a short chamber which really sucks since I will more than likely have to pull the barrel and ship it back to AA. Then put it back together when it comes back(after who knows how long) I have read a lot about short chambers lately, maybe the Grendel 2 chamber is the way to go.
                My 16" lite is doing the same thing and I have measured everything and confirmed my chamber is short. The "ring" around the bullet is most likely the marks from the rifling because your bullet is touching the lands. I used my hornady measuring tool to confirm ELDs are touching the land at 2.245 in my barrel. Mine also chambers and shoots the shorter bullets like the 110 wolfs and the 90 TNTs better seemingly because those rounds arent pressed up against the lands like the my boxed ELD AMMO is. I have decided to just keep it like this and just load all of my hand loads shorter to see if I can come up with a decent load.

Comment

• pajasonc
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                  My 16" lite is doing the same thing and I have measured everything and confirmed my chamber is short. The "ring" around the bullet is most likely the marks from the rifling because your bullet is touching the lands. I used my hornady measuring tool to confirm ELDs are touching the land at 2.245 in my barrel. Mine also chambers and shoots the shorter bullets like the 110 wolfs and the 90 TNTs better seemingly because those rounds arent pressed up against the lands like the my boxed ELD AMMO is. I have decided to just keep it like this and just load all of my hand loads shorter to see if I can come up with a decent load.
                  Will it "wear in" it seemed to shoot fine as I fired around 40 of the Amax before I noticed the issue.

Comment

• Macht
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2013

I had this same issue with an Alexander Arms barrel several years ago. I had it re-chambered by my smith.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Call AA with details. They've always been very responsive to issues like this.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
                        Will it "wear in" it seemed to shoot fine as I fired around 40 of the Amax before I noticed the issue.
                        If it worked fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want you can probably seat the bullet a bit deeper and see if that stops it from sticking.

Not that uncommon for a chamber to have problems with bullets that are longer or have a more unconventional ogive.

If you want, seat the bullet a bit deeper and see how it works then. Or pull a bullet and drop the brass in and see if the brass extracts without any effort. If so, the brass is fine but the bullet is seated out too far.

LR55

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Would seem that is an issue for the op who is using recommended factory loads, not passing the smell test especially for a non-reloader.

Comment

• ricsmall
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

The reamer used could have been a minimum spec reamer or regular spec that has been resharpened/reground and getting close to min spec. I've had two barrels from one barrel maker in this same condition (this maker told me they use a min spec reamer)that I touched up with my Manson reamer and they now drop free and have a little more free bore. One gained accuracy and the other hasn't been shot since. The headspace doesn't change unless you get too agressive.

ETA: the first Grendel barrel I had was a bartlein from Templar consulting which has crazy free bore, but shot almost every load to same point of impact with same zero. Also shot some very good groups with that pipe.

Richard
                            Last edited by ricsmall; 04-12-2017, 04:47 PM.
                            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

I think you need to talk to AA about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X