X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

with all the discussion and demands that only SAAMI Grendel Chambered barrels etc one would think if Hornady is producing factory ammo and subscribes to SAAMI standard it is patently clear this particular barrel does not meet SAAMI specs and needs to be fixed by AA and not have the owner produce shorter OAL rounds to fire from the rifle. Maybe LBC 264 is not all that bad of an idea as factory ammo will shoot from barrels so chambered.
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
      with all the discussion and demands that only SAAMI Grendel Chambered barrels etc one would think if Hornady is producing factory ammo and subscribes to SAAMI standard it is patently clear this particular barrel does not meet SAAMI specs and needs to be fixed by AA and not have the owner produce shorter OAL rounds to fire from the rifle. Maybe LBC 264 is not all that bad of an idea as factory ammo will shoot from barrels so chambered.
      You can have the exact same problem with any chamber if the reamer is worn or the chambers were cut short.

I've seen it more often in .223 Wylde and .308 chambers, blowing primers left and right, failure to extract, small base sizer die, etc.

All my SAAMI Grendel barrels are cut correctly. Nothing wrong with the chamber design.

Matter of fact, I can load past mag length with a lot of target bullets without getting the projectiles stuck.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
        DD:

I agree totally. Any SAAMI Spec barrel should take any factory load. Providing the factory makes their ammo to minimum specs in order to compensate for minimal spec chambers. My bet is that his chamber is within SAAMI specs. May be minimal but still within standards.

We have had our fill of guys whose .264 LBC barrels had something wrong with them to include short throats.

Sure, let him go back to AA with the problem. He will send it to them, they will take the same ammo and fire it without a problem, then send it back to him saying nothing was wrong. And in this case, I would have to agree although I think they ought to run a finishing reamer into the chamber for a few turns.

LR55

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Diddlyv paints with an awfully big brush.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I agree with LR 1955, easy fix is needed. It's probably been AA's issue all along, for last 9 years. Hire a better gunsmith for the Final product - to be shipped.

Pro grade . ALL WILL MEET SAMMIE SPECS, no more excuses..... From AA-- A few more turns are all that's needed.

The Faxon Tubes have a small -margin built in. We so bad+ good. We're nationwide,,,,, ZZ Top-,, read back if lost., or ??? Chambers have to be zenn like , for proper performances.

No more Grendel Sammie short chambers gents. Request a new reamer for your BBL. It's your cash...

Have a new pic with reamer sent to you, next to your bbl., smart fones dudes. Tags and all documentations.

Ask for the -non - short throat reaming of the chamber. Longer is best. Sammie----
            Last edited by sneaky one; 04-13-2017, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

If the SAAMI chamber won't run factory ammo it isn't worth seeking out over all the others that are shunned online. If it requires a high end barrel to get a in spec enough SAAMI chamber to run factory ammo then there is a problem with the spec.

AA especially should have the chamber figured out of all people since they took forever and a day to fine tune the specs of the chamber when THEY developed it.

IMO send it back, if they roll over and say it is fine even though it isn't that says a lot about the company.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Ranger, if it were me I would have called AA BEFORE starting a thread on the world wide web. In the relatively short time I have been a member of this forum, I have seen Bill Alexander himself offer advise and even tell one member to send his gun in for a look. AA didn't even build that particular gun.

Imo, AA is a stand up company but they have to be given a chance.

Also, it goes without saying reamers wear. We are talking very minute tollerances here. What if hornady's bullet seater was worn just a bit?
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

Rabiddawg I agree that I too likely would have called prior to a www posting but am glad it was posted as 4 new and to be honest cost wise lower end priced barrels seem to be showing through their experience an issue. And I happen to have one of those currently on order so this thread is of interest to me and I may benefit from its posting and their experience to be aware of a potential issue that is looming in the big brown truck that is going to show up in the couple of weeks. How the manufacture stands behind their product will say more when brought to their attention and I have little doubt that they won't go over and beyond for any correction.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Guys:

We as Mods will not stop or criticize anyone for posting relevant information about their Grendel to the forum. The OP was polite in his posting and simply stated what was going on so others who may have had the same experience can give him advice.

If you want us to censor guys who post things critical of AA then we will have to do the same for anyone who is critical of any manufacturer.

We have many guys who had big problems with their Grendel related products, from AA through PF, through Les Bear. As long as they remain polite and professional, they can post what they want.

In fact, probably one of the better things in the Grendel Forums is that guys can post problems without concern. Sometimes when enough of the same issue comes up, Alexander has noted it and made changes.

So, if you guys think someone is getting out of hand about it, write one of us and we will take a look.

No big deal.

LR55

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

I was playing devil's advocate. If this is the norm the norm isn't that good... so it probably isn't the norm (aimed at Sneaky One) And if there is a problem and AA doesn't help you with it, that isn't good either. (aimed at LR1955)

My first post in this thread:

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                      I think you need to talk to AA about it.
                      Until they do their thing we are all spitting in the wind here. Maybe it was a bad lot of ammo, maybe it was the chamber, on our end we have no way of knowing.

Personally I have a 18" AA barrel on my Grendel spreadsheet so I am curious how this plays out.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

If the SAAMI chamber won't run factory ammo it isn't worth seeking out over all the others that are shunned online. If it requires a high end barrel to get a in spec enough SAAMI chamber to run factory ammo then there is a problem with the spec.

AA especially should have the chamber figured out of all people since they took forever and a day to fine tune the specs of the chamber when THEY developed it.

IMO send it back, if they roll over and say it is fine even though it isn't that says a lot about the company.
                        AA has fixed (usually replaced) several forum members barrels that weren't even AA barrels in the past. Sounds like you're assuming that all their chambers are cut short, when that just isn't the case, and that's assuming this is an issue with the chamber and not ammo. Every company has a product they let out that doesn't meet their standards.

How they deal with it after that determines the reputation of the company.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                          Rabiddawg I agree that I too likely would have called prior to a www posting but am glad it was posted as 4 new and to be honest cost wise lower end priced barrels seem to be showing through their experience an issue. And I happen to have one of those currently on order so this thread is of interest to me and I may benefit from its posting and their experience to be aware of a potential issue that is looming in the big brown truck that is going to show up in the couple of weeks. How the manufacture stands behind their product will say more when brought to their attention and I have little doubt that they won't go over and beyond for any correction.

I've built many uppers for people and myself using the new 16" fluted barrels from AA. We've never seen a short chamber, guns run out of the gate, no FTExtract, accuracy has been better than a lot of bolt guns I've shot.

If one were to look at all the samples in the market, this would be a fluke, if the chamber is at fault.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

I was playing devil's advocate. If this is the norm the norm isn't that good... so it probably isn't the norm (aimed at Sneaky One) And if there is a problem and AA doesn't help you with it, that isn't good either. (aimed at LR1955)

My first post in this thread:

Until they do their thing we are all spitting in the wind here. Maybe it was a bad lot of ammo, maybe it was the chamber, on our end we have no way of knowing.

Personally I have a 18" AA barrel on my Grendel spreadsheet so I am curious how this plays out.
                            Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            AA has fixed (usually replaced) several forum members barrels that weren't even AA barrels in the past. Sounds like you're assuming that all their chambers are cut short, when that just isn't the case, and that's assuming this is an issue with the chamber and not ammo. Every company has a product they let out that doesn't meet their standards.

How they deal with it after that determines the reputation of the company.
                            Far from that.

Comment

• Jakal
                              Warrior
                              • May 2014

Bump for future reference.
                              ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• pajasonc
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                                Guys:

We as Mods will not stop or criticize anyone for posting relevant information about their Grendel to the forum. The OP was polite in his posting and simply stated what was going on so others who may have had the same experience can give him advice.

If you want us to censor guys who post things critical of AA then we will have to do the same for anyone who is critical of any manufacturer.

We have many guys who had big problems with their Grendel related products, from AA through PF, through Les Bear. As long as they remain polite and professional, they can post what they want.

In fact, probably one of the better things in the Grendel Forums is that guys can post problems without concern. Sometimes when enough of the same issue comes up, Alexander has noted it and made changes.

So, if you guys think someone is getting out of hand about it, write one of us and we will take a look.

No big deal.

LR55
                                I didn't call manufacturer because I was not sure the barrel was %100 short chambered and I didn't know if someone would suggest something that could be done to fix the issue , without me having to tear it apart ,ship it back and put it back together. Going from previous post it seemed likely my barrel is short chambered as the hornady rounds stick, wolf ammo doesn't. I also didn't notice any high pressure signs so I didn't know if I could shoot another 200 rounds and the chamber would open up a bit or if it was unsafe and it should be sent back right away. Which is why I was asking.

But I did also add that maybe the grendel 2 chamber wasn't as bad as people have made it out to be because there seems to be a lot of post around about people getting short chambered saami barrels. From what I gather the saami spec is best but it must be much harder to make barrels that are in spec with the compound throat.

Comment

Working...
                                X