• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brett A
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

New Upper in the works

I love my Grendel. So much so, that I now want to build another one.

I found a couple of good deals (I think) on the parts that I was looking for. So now the project is underway.
    I missed the mail carrier yesterday, so I have to go pick up the Odin Works 20" barrel, BCG and gas block. (I think I got a good deal...$405 to my door, then back to the post office)
    I also have an Aero Precision enhanced upper and 15" Aero Key Mod Rail ($180) on the way. A charging handle and gas tube, and I think it will be complete.

I hope to share pictures soon.
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

sounds good, I went with the Odin Barrel and a Rousch Sports Key Mod 15 inch Foreend as it was over $100 less expensive but...
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Brett A
      Bloodstained
      • May 2016

Upper and rail supposed to be here tomorrow. Still need to order a charging handle and a gas tube. Getting close.

Comment

• Brett A
        Bloodstained
        • May 2016

Update

Put it all together Saturday.
        The new upper parts list:
        Aero Precision enhanced upper receiver and 15" rail
        Odin Works 20" barrel
        Odin Works BCG
        Odin Works tuneable gas block
        Put an old scope on it just so I can go put some rounds through it this weekend. Really haven't decided on what scope to put on it yet. I have some time to decide while the gun fund recuperates. I hope to get something by hunting season.

arg20c.jpgarg20b.jpgarg20a.jpg
        Attached Files

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Looks really good Brett, let us know how it shoots!

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Since you have time on the scope, make going to Midway's main riflescope page part of your morning web surfing routine. They can blow discontinued scopes and manufacturer overruns out the door fast, and the deals show up on the top of the page. I've picked up 3 scopes at at least 40% off that way including an ERS, XRS and Viper HS LR FFP. Just get there before the email blast goes out and it shows up on slickguns
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Brett A
              Bloodstained
              • May 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              Since you have time on the scope, make going to Midway's main riflescope page part of your morning web surfing routine. They can blow discontinued scopes and manufacturer overruns out the door fast, and the deals show up on the top of the page. I've picked up 3 scopes at at least 40% off that way including an ERS, XRS and Viper HS LR FFP. Just get there before the email blast goes out and it shows up on slickguns
              Thanks for the heads up. I'll add this to my morning surf.

Comment

• Brett A
                Bloodstained
                • May 2016

Took the gun out to the range this weekend. It ate everything I fed it and spit it all out flawlessly. Once I got it sighted in at 50, moved over to 100. I have to say this gun shoots much tighter groups than my AA 16". All this was done with factory SSTs. I had loaded up a ladder test for both guns and found one load that the 20" liked, but the 16" did not like any of the loads.
                I am thinking of getting a bipod or find some other type of fixed rest to try and remove some shooter error on my part before I run another test. I was just using some awkward sand filled vinyl bags that were at the range.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Thanks for the update, sounds like a great build. As I get older I shoot a lot off the bench and have several Harris bipods.

Comment

• Ditcher
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

You using a standard weight buffer?

Comment

• Brett A
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
                      You using a standard weight buffer?
                      yes

Comment

• skyrep
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2017

Brett,

I have the same upper receiver and just received my barrel 20" Criterion HBAR Profile Barrel yesterday. Did a quick fit and it's real tight. Did you have any trouble mating the barrel to the receiver?
                        I was hoping to lap the receiver, but cannot with the Aero Precision Enhanced upper receiver. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comment

• Brett A
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2016

I have to admit that I have never lapped any of my barrels/receivers. I didn't have any issues with mating the barrel. It was a snap. I inserted the barrel, put some grease on the barrel nut and torqued it down. Slid the gas tube and block on and was ready to roll.

Comment

• diddlyv
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

Can't wait for the range report.
                            Queen of Battle
                            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Brett A
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2016

I took it out this last weekend. Dual purpose trip. I wanted to run it through a function test.... check, functioned flawlessly. Every round popped and ejected. Got it sighted in at 50, then on to 100. I was able to get it to group factory 123 gr. SSTs very well at 100.
                              I also ran a ladder test and realized that I need to get a better foundation rest (mine just consisted of sand filled vinyl bags that were at the range). I was able to get a "decent" but by no means acceptable (to me) group on one of the loads in the ladder test. I got just under an inch with 123 gr. SSTs on top of 29.2 gr. of CFE223. I really want to get a more stable rest and run the same ladder test through it again. Overall, I was happy with the initial results knowing that it could be a lot better with a little work on my part.

Comment

Working...
                              X