Loading for 16" AR platform with 1-8 twist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wrex85
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Loading for 16" AR platform with 1-8 twist.

Hey guys, long time lurker and first time poster here. I was hoping maybe some of you guys might have some experience with a 16" barrel on an AR platform.

I have been sitting on an AR lower I had to build my first AR with for about a year. A few months ago I finally decided to go with the 6.5 route because I hate my wallet I suppose. What I had in mind was a good AR for tromping through the brush of south Texas for hogs and white tail.

Any ways, do any of you guys load for 16" 1-8 twist AR's? I cant seem to be able to find much info on a similar set up. What loads have you guys found that perform well out of 16" AR's?

Currently I have a box Hornady 95gr VMAX, 129 SST, 140 SST, and a jug of 8208XBR to work with. I prefer a lighter faster bullet, but not at the cost of tighter patterns. I realize that a 16" AR isnt going to put bullets in bullet holes (maybe I'm wrong about this), but I do want to bring them as close together as possible.
    Last edited by wrex85; 04-15-2017, 04:06 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I started off with a 16" Grendel. There is a ton of reloading data for it, and we even published 2 reloading handbooks for the cartridge with barrel lengths ranging from 16" to 24".

There is data for 8208XBR under the 95gr VMAX, pretty fast combo of all of them actually.

Use .3 gr increments when working up with 6.5 Grendel as .3gr is 1% of usable case capacity for charges (most charges are between 27 - 32gr of powder, depending on powder/bullet combo).

31.0C is max load with 8208XBR and 95gr VMAX, but don't just load that and shoot it.

Do you have a chronograph?

You'll need slower powders generally for the 129gr SST and 140gr SST. I would get CFE223 or LEVERevolution for those.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Cornbread
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

Get some 123 grain sst's. They were specifically made for the Grendel. Work up to ~ 28 grains 8208. Start at 2.260 coal then once you find the best charge for your rifle experiment with coal. Mine shoots best at 2.245 which is pretty close to the Hornady factory coal. Use either the CCI 450 or 41 primers. The 95 gr Vmax is a good varmint round but too fragile for hogs. The sst is the best do all bullet. The 129 is a bit longer and eats case capacity as it is made for the bigger 6.5's.

Comment

Working...
      X