Completely stumped-yet another gas function question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobke
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

Would think 65-75% open. A std spring might assure just that extra bit to assure full reliability, but won't know till I can get back to range. Did find that both AMax and SST, as well as 120 Scenar/31.6 CFE/7 1/2 primer/Hornady brass are all capable of encouraging accuracy.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Cool deal.

Mine likes the led black ammo the best when it comes to throwing groups, 5 rounds under a inch at 100 isn't that hard even with me on the trigger, can't wait to see how it does when I start loading my own rounds.

Question. Are the bcg and buffer and buffer spring new parts?

And how wet are you running the bcg, could need some running to break in.

Comment

• Bobke
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

BCG is well broken in, through use in a multiple of AR's, though the bolt is relatively new-not sure how many rounds before coming my way. If I could figure out how to get fm Photobucket to here, have a handful of pics showing issue clear as I'm able. Would hang up at rear end of follower, but not to bolt stop, until I really opened up gas. Last three went to bolt stop with Scenar load above, and that's where I had to call it a day. Again, appreciate the feedback. I'll keep chasing this till 100% reliable.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Keep us updated on how it turns out.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

How old is the Young's NM carrier? Reason I ask is that they went through a spell where the rail dims were wider than normal, causing sluggish function or malfs in a lot of rifles.

Another thing that will cause this condition I have seen are some of the CProducts mags.

No matter what you do, no lock back, even in stout load with MLGS 18" barrels over-gassed with incorrect ports.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

LRRPF52, JP 18 inch is rifle length gas.

Could it be something to do with the ambi bolt release? I ask because I have never used a ambi bolt release so not sure if they can cause a problem.

Comment

• Bobke
                Warrior
                • Dec 2015

The Seekins ambi release could be an issue-I'm not certain at this point, though that's where it was hanging up before bumping gas up. Young carrier is about 5 years old-is there a dimension I could compare to? I'm using 3 older, and 5 newer ASC mags that have required quite a bit of massaging to get them to work, but no longer seem to be an issue after working over flare forward of feed lips, dropping the front of mag for ample clearance and squeezing them to fit freely in 3 different lowers. ASC needs to shoot what they're selling, as these were completely non functional as delivered new in wrapper. QC seems to be only cosmetic, and not focused on functional reliability. Know that's been covered elsewhere, and they're GTG, once worked over. PITA, this has been, but a teaching moment, nonetheless. And not quite put to bed, just yet.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

If the bcg is five years old and you haven't ever had this issue before while useing it, my thinking is the problem isn't with the bcg.

Funny you should say that about the asc mags I have their five round mags I bought from PF and have never had a issue with them.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    LRRPF52, JP 18 inch is rifle length gas.
                    From the OP:
                    Have a new to me JP ultra light Supermatch 18" rifle gas barrel that has been installed in a known to function upper/lower setup.
                    I don't think I've ever seen a JP 18" barrel without RLGS in the 14 years that I have dealt with the company.

JP is one of the few companies I can recommend sight unseen, which is extremely rare.

Bobke, try a different magazine. Are you lubed up well with a thick oil, not one of the snake oil types of recent fame, but something like Slip200, motor oil, or even CLP?
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Yes I know I have one.

I read your post and it looked as though you were saying it had a mlg.

That's why I posted it was rifle length gas.

Comment

• Bobke
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2015

This 18" JP is RLGS-never described as other than, though my other AR319 mid gas Lilja barrel on a carbine length buffer, H2 and SLR gas block was a whole lot easier to set up gas and go. Use either Slip 2000 and/or Fireclean on carrier and bolt, so should not be dry, though gas rings in relatively new JP bolt were a snug fit in Young BCG. Could be they're settling in, as well. Have a brand new SLR adj GB to install tonight, with a fresh gas tube, which I'll take to next range trip to see which functions with 100% reliability. Modified ASC mags now work, only others I have are older C Products and one or two from Alex Arms. Have a mil spec bolt catch to install as well, eliminating yet another variable. Still a work in process. Thx for continued feedback.

Comment

Working...
                        X