Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barrelcactus

This is whats logged in the free spreadsheet for 125gr Parition

Nosler Partition 125 0.4490 0.2560 1.1700 2.27 H4895 28 CCI-450 Hornady 2527fps 21 0.77 24 Grendel II Satern Carl Meloy 3 shot Group
    Nosler Partition 125 0.4490 0.2560 1.1700 2.26 IMR4895 28 Win SR Hornady 0.3 20 SAAMI Shilen Ultramax 5 Shot
    Nosler Partition 125 0.4490 0.2560 1.1700 Varget 28 CCI-400 Hornady 18 Grendel II AR Stoner/Satern Mark First day of pronghorn season, took a nice buck at 351 yards

Comment

• barrelcactus

CHeck out this expansion test for 130gr Nosler Accubond. http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...esults-183285/

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by barrelcactus View Post
        CHeck out this expansion test for 130gr Nosler Accubond. http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...esults-183285/
        That's one of the most non-representative terminal ballistics mediums I've seen to date, and the penetration depths show that.

More bad info. I'm seeing a pattern.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• barrelcactus

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          That's one of the most non-representative terminal ballistics mediums I've seen to date, and the penetration depths show that.

More bad info. I'm seeing a pattern.
          Yes i see a pattern as well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

If you're only seeing 11.5" of penetration from 6.5mm projectiles that aren't varmint bullets, the medium is not representative at all of living animal tissue.

I've gotten that type of penetration in hard timber.

If anyone wants to see what calibrated ballistics gel looks like with the 120gr TSX, here's a good example of the type of penetration and expansion you're looking at the stated impact speed.

Results in this:

Like we've known since 2007 season when he did it.
            Last edited by LRRPF52; 05-16-2017, 12:16 AM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• barrelcactus

Its doubtful the 120gr TSX opened up at the 400 yards the Mr Larue took it at but fatal none the less.

Comment

• barrelcactus

Barnes is also sponsored our reloading project

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Its doubtful the 120gr TSX opened up at the 400 yards the Mr Larue took it at but fatal none the less.
                  Wrong. I'll let you guess as to why you're wrong.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Barnes is also sponsored our reloading project
                    I'll bet they did.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

L52,
                      I for one will be sticking to the verified data from the Handbook (vol 2, excellent by the way!) plus my Hodgdon, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra books on hand, as my starter sources. This is a thumb's up to you all who are keeping an eye out for dubious info. Lots of us don't have that level of expertise so very glad someone does! This forum/ contributors has been a gold mine of solid info for me. I have 2 G-ARs and am building my bolt-action - all of which wouldn't be happening unless I had a solid level of trust in what we've got here. Let's keep it that way.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        L52,
                        I for one will be sticking to the verified data from the Handbook (vol 2, excellent by the way!) plus my Hodgdon, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra books on hand, as my starter sources. This is a thumb's up to you all who are keeping an eye out for dubious info. Lots of us don't have that level of expertise so very glad someone does! This forum/ contributors has been a gold mine of solid info for me. I have 2 G-ARs and am building my bolt-action - all of which wouldn't be happening unless I had a solid level of trust in what we've got here. Let's keep it that way.
                        My thoughts exactly! I tried to get a 6.5 Grendel in my hands for my bull moose hunt last fall... AA was way behind. Had to use my 260 rem instead... wish wish wish I would have had my Grendel.. turned out to be a 846 pound bull... Boys that would have silenced the nay-sayers.

Comment

• carlhwv
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2017

I've been Elk hunting with the same base group since my first hunt in the Crazy Mountains in MT in 1980. I've been with my current guide for the past 10 years. He has seen me miss at 121 yds and kill at 502. I was the first in the group to move to an AR platform 308 and to move to monolithics from partitions. So it wasn't a reach when I told Dustin I wanted to bring a Grendel this year. I'm getting push back, but ultimately I will prevail, as I pay the bill..... Still, I've found the best hunts are when everyone is comfortable with all aspects, from physical shape, to shooting ability. It's hard for people to change, especially with the general results they see over time. I now come from sea level and we hunt at 8000-9600 feet. It get harder each trip trying to beat feet to get in position on the fourth day after being worn down from 5-6 miles a day in snow up to my knees. I'm thankful for the ride from first 10 miles from the valley to the parking spot. Still, no matter how you cut it, it all comes down to two factors: you have got to get to where they are living and you have to hit the target when you pull the trigger. These two factors haven't changed. Sunday is range day where we get to prove out we can do the latter, with the following week bringing proof to the former.

I believe monolithics are a game changer and if not for the experience we've had over time and the results we have seen, it would probably be tough to swallow using a 100gr pill on an Elk. But knowing what I know, it's what we are going to do if we can get Dan...our reloading guy....to work up a load that shoots well and has enough juice leaving the pipe. Remember, we are shooting at elevations 8000 and up so we have plenty of speed out to 300...probably a bit further...for it to do the job on impact. We work hard to get inside of 250 yards, which we accomplish many more times than not.

I can't wait for Nov to come. I'm going to give my 55yr old body a couple extra days to acclimate this year, as we want to try and get a bit deeper in this year. With any luck we will find a big one. We have a nothing less than 6x rule, and I promise if we do, my smiling mug will show up here and some of the nay sayers might become converts. I'm sure Dustin will be humping the 7mm, but for my part, it will only come out if it really has to.
                          Carl
                          NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                          Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                          Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

Working...
                          X