• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ROTCatCU
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Elk load?

Hope this has not been beaten much to death, but what would you recommend for elk <250 yards? I was planning on the AA 130 grain swift scirocco. 18" AA lite.

Thanks!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Inside of 250yds?

100gr Barnes TTSX
    120gr TSX
    The 130gr Swift Scirocco II should work fine.

People have DRT'd them with 123gr SST even at close range.

Get a bunch of practice with whatever you can afford to shoot, so you and the rifle become better acquainted, then confirm zero with your choice for hunting, and move out with confidence. Practice your field positions and use anatomical targets with the vitals clearly shown. Berger has some nice targets to print out.

.ht-large-box { } .ht-large-box a { border: 1px solid #D1D3D4; background-color: #D0D0D0; background-size: 645px 1000px; transition: opacity .5s, box-shadow .5s; margin-bottom:15px; -webkit-transition: opacity .5s, -webkit-box-shadow .5s; -moz-transition: opacity .5s, -moz-box-shadow .5s; opacity: 0.9; display: inline-block; width: 646px; height: 500px; text-indent: -9999px; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px #FFFFFF; -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px #FFFFFF; box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px #FFFFFF; } .ht-large-box a:hover { opacity: 1; background-position: 0px -500px; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px #000000; -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px #000000; box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

LAPUA Naturalis 140gr with a MV of 2300 fps, this load should have enough kinetic energy out to at least 200 yds to expand and kill humainly....
      Last edited by lrgrendel; 04-17-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Interested in this also. I have a chance to go this fall to CO with some friends, plan to take my Grendel (18" LBC style chamber) and a 6.5 CM... maybe my 22" savage bolt-action re-barreled to Grendel. I have to find and work up some loads, there could be some commercial for the CM but for the GR maybe not.
        Never been elk hunting before, did some deer hunting in ID 30+ yrs ago.
        Should I plan on 250 as my limit, 300 or 350? I doubt if I could go beyond that. So loads that work for 250-300+ perhaps is where I'll be concentrating.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Some good reading on another thread about elk with the Grendel

Over the past 37 years I've been lucky enough to take 15 Rocky Mountain Elk. Until 4 years ago I was a straight bolt action guy, but after laying waste to my scope after a fall during a hunt in Montana, I've gone AR. This year I'm moving to 6.5mm and until a few weeks ago figured it would be an upper swap on a proven LaRue

Shooting elk make that first shot in the boiler room with a good bullet and enjoy. Good bullets well there are several, the sirocco is one but the Barnes, 125gr partition, 130 accubond, 129 LR accuboind and like stated above the 123gr SST has worked for elk as well.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Does anyone know of load data for the 125 partition with either CFE223 or Lever? I have the Gr handbook vol 2 and there's only the A-2520 and 8208xbr; seems as though CFE or Lever would be possible also. I'm trying to analyze nodes before I load for my bolt-action build and 2550 seems to be the start of one...
            Thanks.

Comment

• doofus65
              Bloodstained
              • May 2017

If you're taking your 6.5 Creedmoor, then use that. Elk hunting is not time to experiment.

Comment

• pajasonc
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                Some good reading on another thread about elk with the Grendel

Over the past 37 years I've been lucky enough to take 15 Rocky Mountain Elk. Until 4 years ago I was a straight bolt action guy, but after laying waste to my scope after a fall during a hunt in Montana, I've gone AR. This year I'm moving to 6.5mm and until a few weeks ago figured it would be an upper swap on a proven LaRue

Shooting elk make that first shot in the boiler room with a good bullet and enjoy. Good bullets well there are several, the sirocco is one but the Barnes, 125gr partition, 130 accubond, 129 LR accuboind and like stated above the 123gr SST has worked for elk as well.
                I would lean towards the partition or accubond long range. I don't know about these bullets in the grendel but in other calibers the partition to me penetrates a little better than the others. I think its because it will lose a bit of its frontal area. The barnes ttsx will obviously out penetrate any traditional type bullet but you have to keep the range pretty short. In my experience they don't really expand at 1800 fps, the nose just opens up to the same size as the rest of the bullet. I wouldn't feel comfortable below 2100 to 2200 fps. Considering the 120 only starts at 2400 fps that won't give you much range.

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

Our Cavity Back 118gr MKZ will do what your looking for. Our 105gr in the 6.8 has taken elk so even our 105gr 6.5mm MKZ will do the job.
                  You will get the penetration you need as well as more expansion at a lower speed.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

The CM will be the primary but I always like to have a back-up plan. So the savage re-barrel I'm doing will be that, it's 6.5 Grendel, 22".
                    As a bolt action I figure I will get somewhere close to the "book" 24" AR values. I have some partitions now in hand, just looking for some good starting points.
                    CVB I have thought about your mkz's... but I don't know how to load them for my GII.............

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Inside of 250yds?

100gr Barnes TTSX
                      120gr TSX
                      The 130gr Swift Scirocco II should work fine.

People have DRT'd them with 123gr SST even at close range.

Get a bunch of practice with whatever you can afford to shoot, so you and the rifle become better acquainted, then confirm zero with your choice for hunting, and move out with confidence. Practice your field positions and use anatomical targets with the vitals clearly shown. Berger has some nice targets to print out.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/vital-z...nting-targets/
                      Outstanding targets, 52!!!

Comment

• barrelcactus

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        Does anyone know of load data for the 125 partition with either CFE223 or Lever? I have the Gr handbook vol 2 and there's only the A-2520 and 8208xbr; seems as though CFE or Lever would be possible also. I'm trying to analyze nodes before I load for my bolt-action build and 2550 seems to be the start of one...
                        Thanks.
                        This collection of loads has a few 125gr Partition loads.

Load Data This data free and will remain free and never sold. Data was submitted and also taken from detailed posts on several boards. Its not a replacement for factory load data with proper pressure testing. Always work up your own load. Never take someone elses load and just load it and shoot....

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                          The CM will be the primary but I always like to have a back-up plan. So the savage re-barrel I'm doing will be that, it's 6.5 Grendel, 22".
                          As a bolt action I figure I will get somewhere close to the "book" 24" AR values. I have some partitions now in hand, just looking for some good starting points.
                          CVB I have thought about your mkz's... but I don't know how to load them for my GII.............
                          Are you looking for load data?

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by CavityBackBullets View Post
                            Are you looking for load data?
                            Right now looking for 125 partition loads. I know of the loads mentioned above, though not much for CFE or Lever, which I think would be good to use. If I have to use something different (as the backup, 6.5 CM is pretty set load-wise) I'll probably come back for more Grendel advice. I appreciate all the good teaching from here I've gotten.

Comment

• barrelcactus

I would try AR Comp with the partition in your Grendel II chamber.

Comment

Working...
                              X