• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

16" hunting build incoming!

Just finished ordering the last few parts for a new lightweight whitetail/blackbear build. Really excited to see how it performs.
    Trying out the new 16" Odin works kit with BCG and tunable gas block.
    I have a boat load of Hornady Black 123 eld for break in and tuning the gas system, as well as brass.
    I have lots of 8208 XBR, CCI 450s and 123 AMAX and SST to load, really really hoping I can get at least 2400 out this set-up. If so I'll be happy. I have CFE 223 on hand, but where I hunt in Maine and deal with massive temp flux I really want the best temp stability/velocity combo I can get with accuracy in mind as well..
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

I got 2425 from my 16 inch Barrier Defense (we think anderson barrel) with Factory 123 SST
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Well I am in the same boat with a different oar as I wait on an AA 16" barrel, been a good couple of weeks since ordering and the anticipation is severe, lol. Hopefully the saying "good things come to those who wait" will ring true.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

I entertained the AA 18" lightweight. Called them, and they claimed a 4-6 week lead time. After reviewing some of LR-52s posts regarding 16" barrels and hunting rigs, I decided on his sound advice to give the Odin Works 16" a whirl. Received my BCM blem upper today, and the barrel/bcg should be here thurs or friday. Haven't been this excited for a rifle build in a long time. My last 6.5G was a 20" shilen, and wile it shot great, it was a tank to tote around.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Barrel/bolt will be arriving today! I've been reading about people using blue/red locTite to "bed" barrels into the recievers? Any opinions on this?

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I trued the face of my receiver with a lapping tool and bedded the barrel with Blue Permatex which is basically the same as Blue Loctite. I also put Blue Permatex on my barrel before sliding on the gas block. I have done this to two 6.5 Grendels and both have turned out to be great shooters. Both barrels only needed a click or two of windage to be sighted in at 100 yards. If I put any more AR-15's together I'll follow this procedure.

Another temperature stable powder that is becoming popular for the 6.5 Grendel is AR Comp. I'm going to a large stocking dealer today and if they have AR Comp I plan on buying at least one pound to test.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-21-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

+1 on vascars advice. I put a JP together without truing Rcvr or gluing barrel in and it was erratic. Stripped down and trued it and glued it and it shoots 3/4moa now. It was at best 1-1/2moa before and erratic cold bore shots. Now they all go where directed.
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Got the rifle put togather. Going to be doing a separate thread with some pics. Absolutely couldn't be happier. The Odin Works 16" fit tight and snug, bcg looked great and functions smooth, and the tunable gas block really fit the bill for the 6.5 grendel. Got it to where the bolt locks back, gave it an extra half turn then locked it down. Brass looks beautiful after ejection, and piles up nicely at my 3:00 - 3:30. C-product 5 and 10 round mag worked great as well. Factory hornady black grouped right at an inch with the couple groups I managed to shoot. Velocity was 2380-2400. I'll have more details in future right up, but overall I'm very very very pleased.

Comment

Working...
                X