• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi shooter
    Warrior
    • Mar 2017

1st loads for the grendel howa mini finding the limets

when i get a new rifle i like to find its pressure limits (when i start seeing pressure signs before doing load development this allows me to concentrate on shooting during load development rather than checking brass etc even more so when the powder im using has no real data only what i can find on the web and ask questions about

now my components are as follows
    bullet:100gn serria hollow point
    powder:hogdon cfe223
    primer:cci br4
    brass:hornady once fired from factory ammo full length sized

most data i have found by asking questions and trolling internet forums such as this one
    seem to be anywhere from 31-34gn of cfe223

and asking a few pepole in the know determined 31gn to be a good starting point

so ive loaded 2 rounds of each number starting at 31gn-33.6gn working in 0.3gn steps
    have OAL set to 2.200" for these tests will play around with that later

loads were done with the rcbs charge master auto powder measure and double checked with beam scales for extra consistency

now to go shoot some dirt i probably wont bother shooting these at paper as its just simply to look at fired brass might put steel out to shoot at

when i load for real i will be using lapua brass but didn’t want to risk the flash stuff for this testing
    this means i will need to keep half an eye in brass during load development as all brass is different but at least i wont be 100% focusing on it
    Last edited by kiwi shooter; 04-18-2017, 03:59 AM.
  • Cornbread
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

You can save time and components and may even find an accuracy node by loading 1 round at each charge weight and shooting all the shots on the same target. While watching for pressure signs and velocity change on the chrono what you will find is that at the accuracy nodes 3 or so shots will group together on the target. You can refine the load from there.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
      Warrior
      • Mar 2017

yeah its just i like to double check each charge just in case but yeah if you wanted to save components you could get away with one round

Comment

• T800
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2017

I think you'll find CFE is a bit too slow burning for a 100gr bullet.

8208XBR, TAC, H335, A2520, etc would be more suitable, IMO, especially if you're testing pressure limits.

Looking forward to seeing your results. The Howa is on my 'maybe' list

Comment

• kiwi shooter
          Warrior
          • Mar 2017

maybe although all the speed data if found says cfe223 is the fastest (FPS wise) im hoping to find a high accuracy but also high speed load i hope to find a load that is doing about 2800fps but also as good accuracy will kind of turn the grendel into a 243 with less recoil and less noise as my rifle is suppressed

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

CFE works well across the bullet weights, from 100gr cup and core on up to 140gr.

Bwild97 got a lot of his top speeds with CFE under a 100gr AMAX.

It works really well with the solids too, from 86gr on up.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Did you inform on rifle specs: barrel length, etc. Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere...
              I understand there are both actions-only and complete rifles in the mini...
              Last edited by grayfox; 04-19-2017, 11:47 PM. Reason: Howa mini is a bolt-action - my bad!
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                Warrior
                • Mar 2017

rifle is a bog standard howa mini 6.5 grendel ( obviously) blued/synthetic
                only mods are its been shortened slightly to 19 inches from memory
                sand i have fitted a dpt suppressor which are made here in new Zealand
                www.dpt.co.nz if your interested
                Last edited by kiwi shooter; 04-20-2017, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2017

so range today and the howa shot awesome
                  it ate everything from 31gn-33.6gn of cfe223 with without even showing the faintest of pressure signs so i might try even hotter (faster the better eh) lol

and the really awesome thing is it put all 19 test loads inside 1 inch at 50 m that’s awesome with 9 different loads

cant wait for proper load development to see what it can really do as currently looking very promising

Comment

Working...
                  X