Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: ATF - 90 days and counting, still have not cashed my check

  1. #1
    Warrior Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pondwater Colorado
    Posts
    412

    Angry ATF - 90 days and counting, still have not cashed my check

    What I was hoping was going to be a painless first time buy, now looks like it's going to be a hassle.

    Certified bank check still has not been cashed. Technically it expires today (do not cash after 90).

    The gods do not want me to have this suppressor.....
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  2. #2
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    S.E. KC, MO
    Posts
    265
    Probably got lost in the mail.... did you have tracking on the delivery?

  3. #3
    Warrior Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pondwater Colorado
    Posts
    412
    My FFL is the one who handled that, and is getting the info....Was supposed to be getting it. Never got back to me yesterday.

    ATF Has no record of the serial number, my name, anything.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  4. #4
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    King William, Virginia
    Posts
    119
    I submitted my paperwork back in June, my check did not cash until December

  5. #5
    Warrior Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pondwater Colorado
    Posts
    412
    Problem being my check is a Certified Bank Check - expired on 4/17 (do not cash after 90 days). Bank calls it a "Stale Check" after 180, and won't refund for 2 years if not cashed. Otherwise I have to do a stop payment and fee.

    Planned obsolescence by the ATF? - Here is to hoping that the FFL finds it.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Problem being my check is a Certified Bank Check - expired on 4/17 (do not cash after 90 days). Bank calls it a "Stale Check" after 180, and won't refund for 2 years if not cashed. Otherwise I have to do a stop payment and fee.

    Planned obsolescence by the ATF? - Here is to hoping that the FFL finds it.
    HMM. How much experience do you have with FFL? Hate to point fingers.... but that is where i would look first.

  7. #7
    Warrior Red Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Murica
    Posts
    158
    The ATF is quick to take funds and slow to approve. It's always been 10 days or less for the check to cash and 5-10 months for approval. I'm with keystone183 hate to point fingers but it starts at the FFL you used good luck
    "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

  8. #8
    Warrior Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pondwater Colorado
    Posts
    412
    As it would happen....

    Probably the last time I use a box store to buy one. They filed it in the "Sent" folder. Overnight'd it the day after I called when the manager found it. At least they were up front and very candor about it.

    Thank you for the additional 2.75 month wait on my approval guys.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  9. #9
    Warrior Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pondwater Colorado
    Posts
    412
    So I called the ATF last week, low and behold, still no record of my paperwork. I called my bank next, and after 4 calls trying to get someone with enough brains to see if that certified check was cashed, and when, I finally got an answer - Nope.

    Called Sportsman's Warehouse back and explained to them that the ATF still has no record of my paperwork, the Certified check which is now long expired has not been cashed, and all the paperwork that I have at home which may or may not be one of the copies from them (I had filled out the Form 4, but they insisted to use theirs), does not have the suppressor SN on it.

    They are now waiting for UPS to tell them where exactly they delivered the package with all my stuff in it.

    8 months into my very first tax stamp and I am still effectively at day one, other than someone other than me has $1k of my money.

    This whole year around the 6.5 grendel (PF Neptune, supresssor....) has been nothing but way longer than expected waits and hassles. Damn.

    Sorry, Had to vent. If all had gone right, I should be picking this up by the end of next month.
    Last edited by Sticks; 08-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    So I called the ATF last week, low and behold, still no record of my paperwork. I called my bank next, and after 4 calls trying to get someone with enough brains to see if that certified check was cashed, and when, I finally got an answer - Nope.

    Called Sportsman's Warehouse back and explained to them that the ATF still has no record of my paperwork, the Certified check which is now long expired has not been cashed, and all the paperwork that I have at home which may or may not be one of the copies from them (I had filled out the Form 4, but they insisted to use theirs), does not have the suppressor SN on it.

    They are now waiting for UPS to tell them where exactly they delivered the package with all my stuff in it.

    8 months into my very first tax stamp and I am still effectively at day one, other than someone other than me has $1k of my money.

    This whole year around the 6.5 grendel (PF Neptune, supresssor....) has been nothing but way longer than expected waits and hassles. Damn.

    Sorry, Had to vent. If all had gone right, I should be picking this up by the end of next month.
    Ouch. I'd get a refund and find a silencershop dealer near you. Good news is....if you get that done and get filed soon, your wait is looking like it might only by 4 or 5 months! Maybe less!

  11. #11
    Your paper work never made it there. I'm not trying to upset you just telling you I sent my paperwork in 2 weeks ago and they already charged my cc.

  12. #12
    Bloodstained
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by keystone183 View Post
    Ouch. I'd get a refund and find a silencershop dealer near you. Good news is....if you get that done and get filed soon, your wait is looking like it might only by 4 or 5 months! Maybe less!
    4-5 months? First I've heard of that. Would be nice. Filed my second Form 4 a couple of weeks ago. Both of my sets of paperwork that were filed this year, they charged my card with 2 days of receiving my stuff. They are VERY efficient at taking your money, not so much at delivering the goods. If you don't have confirmation within a week of them getting your stuff, I'd start looking into it.

  13. #13
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    S.E. KC, MO
    Posts
    265
    With the ATF now accepting the barcode F4's from silencershop, expected wait times are dropping fast... F3's are already coming back in 6 hours. I wouldn't be surprised to see wait times drop to 2-3 months again before they spike back up and settle to around the 4-6 month frame. ATF is still working to update the eForms.... still no word if they will be opened back up to the public or not....

  14. #14
    Bloodstained
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by explorecaves View Post
    With the ATF now accepting the barcode F4's from silencershop, expected wait times are dropping fast... F3's are already coming back in 6 hours. I wouldn't be surprised to see wait times drop to 2-3 months again before they spike back up and settle to around the 4-6 month frame. ATF is still working to update the eForms.... still no word if they will be opened back up to the public or not....
    ATF says their goal is to keep it under 90 days. These upgrades shouldn't allow it to get back up to 6 months

  15. #15
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    S.E. KC, MO
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy View Post
    ATF says their goal is to keep it under 90 days. These upgrades shouldn't allow it to get back up to 6 months
    Not worried about the human factor of processing them.... it is the government factor that slows down the process that may cause it to rise again to 6 months or more.... LOL

  16. #16
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ne.
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs28 View Post
    Your paper work never made it there. I'm not trying to upset you just telling you I sent my paperwork in 2 weeks ago and they already charged my cc.
    They do cash the check pretty quick, within a week for my last 2.

  17. #17
    Warrior Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pondwater Colorado
    Posts
    412
    Well, the FFL is waiting on UPS to tell them exactly where they delivered the package. Supposedly the ATF will not divulge if the person that signed for it worked for them during the time that it was delivered. All they are saying is that they have no record of my paperwork.

    Stopping payment on an expired check today, and will have to start all over with this BS again (finger print, photo....). The FFL is offering a huge discount on the can, including paying for any out of pocket fees that I have incurred during this time....which is leading me to think that they dicked the dog, and are trying to sweep it under the rug.

    Looking at NFA tracker, and if all had gone right, I would have been picking it up this month.

    KMN
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  18. #18
    Warrior 37L1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Maryville, TN.
    Posts
    148
    What a CF, you have my empathy. Not that it will get you your can any faster though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •