• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

ATF - 90 days and counting, still have not cashed my check

What I was hoping was going to be a painless first time buy, now looks like it's going to be a hassle.

Certified bank check still has not been cashed. Technically it expires today (do not cash after 90).

The gods do not want me to have this suppressor.....
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Probably got lost in the mail.... did you have tracking on the delivery?

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

My FFL is the one who handled that, and is getting the info....Was supposed to be getting it. Never got back to me yesterday.

ATF Has no record of the serial number, my name, anything.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Nick
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

I submitted my paperwork back in June, my check did not cash until December

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Problem being my check is a Certified Bank Check - expired on 4/17 (do not cash after 90 days). Bank calls it a "Stale Check" after 180, and won't refund for 2 years if not cashed. Otherwise I have to do a stop payment and fee.

Planned obsolescence by the ATF? - Here is to hoping that the FFL finds it.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• keystone183
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            Problem being my check is a Certified Bank Check - expired on 4/17 (do not cash after 90 days). Bank calls it a "Stale Check" after 180, and won't refund for 2 years if not cashed. Otherwise I have to do a stop payment and fee.

Planned obsolescence by the ATF? - Here is to hoping that the FFL finds it.
            HMM. How much experience do you have with FFL? Hate to point fingers.... but that is where i would look first.

Comment

• Red Dawn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

The ATF is quick to take funds and slow to approve. It's always been 10 days or less for the check to cash and 5-10 months for approval. I'm with keystone183 hate to point fingers but it starts at the FFL you used good luck
              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

As it would happen....

Probably the last time I use a box store to buy one. They filed it in the "Sent" folder. Overnight'd it the day after I called when the manager found it. At least they were up front and very candor about it.

Thank you for the additional 2.75 month wait on my approval guys.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

So I called the ATF last week, low and behold, still no record of my paperwork. I called my bank next, and after 4 calls trying to get someone with enough brains to see if that certified check was cashed, and when, I finally got an answer - Nope.

Called Sportsman's Warehouse back and explained to them that the ATF still has no record of my paperwork, the Certified check which is now long expired has not been cashed, and all the paperwork that I have at home which may or may not be one of the copies from them (I had filled out the Form 4, but they insisted to use theirs), does not have the suppressor SN on it.

They are now waiting for UPS to tell them where exactly they delivered the package with all my stuff in it.

8 months into my very first tax stamp and I am still effectively at day one, other than someone other than me has $1k of my money.

This whole year around the 6.5 grendel (PF Neptune, supresssor....) has been nothing but way longer than expected waits and hassles. Damn.

Sorry, Had to vent. If all had gone right, I should be picking this up by the end of next month.
                  Last edited by Sticks; 08-24-2017, 10:08 AM.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• keystone183
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                    So I called the ATF last week, low and behold, still no record of my paperwork. I called my bank next, and after 4 calls trying to get someone with enough brains to see if that certified check was cashed, and when, I finally got an answer - Nope.

Called Sportsman's Warehouse back and explained to them that the ATF still has no record of my paperwork, the Certified check which is now long expired has not been cashed, and all the paperwork that I have at home which may or may not be one of the copies from them (I had filled out the Form 4, but they insisted to use theirs), does not have the suppressor SN on it.

They are now waiting for UPS to tell them where exactly they delivered the package with all my stuff in it.

8 months into my very first tax stamp and I am still effectively at day one, other than someone other than me has $1k of my money.

This whole year around the 6.5 grendel (PF Neptune, supresssor....) has been nothing but way longer than expected waits and hassles. Damn.

Sorry, Had to vent. If all had gone right, I should be picking this up by the end of next month.
                    Ouch. I'd get a refund and find a silencershop dealer near you. Good news is....if you get that done and get filed soon, your wait is looking like it might only by 4 or 5 months! Maybe less!

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

Your paper work never made it there. I'm not trying to upset you just telling you I sent my paperwork in 2 weeks ago and they already charged my cc.

Comment

• Bruw
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
                        Ouch. I'd get a refund and find a silencershop dealer near you. Good news is....if you get that done and get filed soon, your wait is looking like it might only by 4 or 5 months! Maybe less!
                        4-5 months? First I've heard of that. Would be nice. Filed my second Form 4 a couple of weeks ago. Both of my sets of paperwork that were filed this year, they charged my card with 2 days of receiving my stuff. They are VERY efficient at taking your money, not so much at delivering the goods. If you don't have confirmation within a week of them getting your stuff, I'd start looking into it.

Comment

• explorecaves
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

With the ATF now accepting the barcode F4's from silencershop, expected wait times are dropping fast... F3's are already coming back in 6 hours. I wouldn't be surprised to see wait times drop to 2-3 months again before they spike back up and settle to around the 4-6 month frame. ATF is still working to update the eForms.... still no word if they will be opened back up to the public or not....

Comment

• CastorTroy
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                            With the ATF now accepting the barcode F4's from silencershop, expected wait times are dropping fast... F3's are already coming back in 6 hours. I wouldn't be surprised to see wait times drop to 2-3 months again before they spike back up and settle to around the 4-6 month frame. ATF is still working to update the eForms.... still no word if they will be opened back up to the public or not....
                            ATF says their goal is to keep it under 90 days. These upgrades shouldn't allow it to get back up to 6 months

Comment

• explorecaves
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
                              ATF says their goal is to keep it under 90 days. These upgrades shouldn't allow it to get back up to 6 months
                              Not worried about the human factor of processing them.... it is the government factor that slows down the process that may cause it to rise again to 6 months or more.... LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X