• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

What vise clamps do you use?

Looking at ordering an ar lower and upper vise blocks and was looking for some input on brands. The ones I find online have completely mixed reviews.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I have the magpul bev block and I'm completely happy with it, it works with the upper and can be flipped over to use with the lower.

I have used it to do barrel and muzzle break installs on my rifle and haven't had a problem with it or did any damage to any part of my rifle because of torque being applyed during barrel and muzzle brake install's.

It didn't cost as much as some of the other product's out there but like I said it works great for me.

Other's will be along shortly to give more advice on other products I'm sure.

Comment

• Rickc
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

Reaction Rod for me for barrel installs. Barrel vice for muzzle devices.

most of my uppers are billet and the clamshells just don't work

as for the lower I just use the typical mag well vice block. Use it cleaning too!

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

I have cheap Wheeler clamshell. It is the style of mousetrap everyone has a better idea to replace but I have have had no issues with it. The deal for lining up the barrel nut/gas tube works great.

BEV block would be my alternative unless I was doing a mil spec barrel nut (which my first build had)

I have a cheap Tapco magwell vice block. It works fine.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

I don't think I can use the bev block or a reaction rod for upper receiver lapping since they lock into the barrel. I've read mixed reviews on the wheeler clam shells but glad to hear something positive here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Bigs28, your correct you can't lapp the receiver while useing those but a clamshell works fine for that, that's what I use when I lapped mine and it worked fine for that, matter of fact that's all I have used the clamshell for.

Comment

• Drillboss
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
              I don't think I can use the bev block or a reaction rod for upper receiver lapping since they lock into the barrel. I've read mixed reviews on the wheeler clam shells but glad to hear something positive here.
              I've used red rags to hold the upper in the vice for lapping. I recently got some plastic vice jaw inserts to grip barrels. Those would hold and protect the upper while lapping as well.

I haven't gotten my clam shell out of the box since I bought a reaction rod.

Comment

• kevperro
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2017

I used to have a reaction rod but it requires blue pills to be effective these days.

Using a cheap clamshell. It gets the job done.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

I ordered the bev block today. Gonna try some rags to hold the upper for lapping. I'm going to be hand lapping anyway and not using a drill

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Just be cautious ( as '55 has said on several occasions ) make sure to mount the upper vertically in the vice when using the lapping tool. Doing this insures that there is no canting by the tool which can then cause the very issue that you are trying to cure.

Comment

• just_john
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2012

Oops! to give proper credit "as 'LRRPF52" as said...."

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

I agree. I'm basically copying this video.

Comment

Working...
                        X