• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevperro
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

I have the sickness - 16" Budget Build

I spent to much time reading this forum and succumbed to the 6.5 fever.

It all started with the Classic Firearms barrel sale.

Then I found a "blem" upper receiver for $45 built-out.

AR15-A3 Stripped Upper Receiver, Mil Spec, W / Hard Black Anodized Finish - By U.S. Commercial Contractor Premium Grade Made of 7075 T6 Aluminum Forging, Features M4 Feed Ramps, and a Hard Anodized Black Finish - Perfect to match with any of our Lower Receivers. A3 style Flat Top for Sight or Optic Mounting. Can be used for Multiple Calibers on the AR15 Platform. These receivers are meticulously bead blasted before anodizing and have one of the smoothest most flawless finishes I have ever seen. Very Minor Cosmetic Factory Blems - See Full Details in extended description.Non Blem Upper also available - See Link Here.

Bought one of the inexpensive Matrix 13" Keymod handguards for $65.

Odin BCG & 6.5G bolt for $142.

I need to buy magazines yet so I'm researching what is the best. I'm stoked to get it built.
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Sounds good, I just got a Matrix handguard for mine on Monday. I went with the 13" M-Lock one, it looks nice. Cost me $57 though.

I still need a bolt to show up, pick up the stock and figure out what the heck I am doing for a barrel yet.
    Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Steamburn
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

Don't skimp on the magazines. Mags are the worst troublemakers if they are not perfect.
      Get the ones made in Israel and sold by Alexander Arms (e-Lander brand).
      Note: I spent a fortune buying and testing various brands and suppliers and the only ones that worked without flaw were the ones bought through AA.

Comment

• kevperro
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Steamburn View Post
        Don't skimp on the magazines. Mags are the worst troublemakers if they are not perfect.
        Note: I spent a fortune buying and testing various brands and suppliers and the only ones that worked without flaw were the ones bought through AA.

Yea... I've read troubles with mags. Thanks for the input.... E-Lander from AA will get some of my money.

Comment

• kevperro
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2017

Now isn't that pretty.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Hell yes it is. And they work as good as they look!

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Steamburn View Post

Thus far I've had amazing luck with the c-products 5 and 10 rounders. Haven't tried the e-landers yet.

Comment

• mateba
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2017

I'm excited to see how your barrel shoots.

Comment

• kevperro
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by mateba View Post
                  I'm excited to see how your barrel shoots.
                  Me too.... but I'm probably a 2-3 weeks away from getting to the range with it.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2015

Nice! I'm happy with my Matrix rail, especially for the price. FYI a standard barrel wrench won't work with their barrel nut. You'll need a 1-3/16" crow's foot wrench if you want to properly torque it - I picked this one up for $12 bucks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Note that it's 1/2" drive so you may need an adapter for your torque wrench. If torque specs aren't as much of a concern for you, you can get by with a crescent wrench as long as it'll open up to 1-3/16".

FYI these rails come with a very dull matte finish which soaks up spray paint quite well.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                      Nice! I'm happy with my Matrix rail, especially for the price. FYI a standard barrel wrench won't work with their barrel nut. You'll need a 1-3/16" crow's foot wrench if you want to properly torque it - I picked this one up for $12 bucks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Note that it's 1/2" drive so you may need an adapter for your torque wrench. If torque specs aren't as much of a concern for you, you can get by with a crescent wrench as long as it'll open up to 1-3/16".

FYI these rails come with a very dull matte finish which soaks up spray paint quite well.
                      Attach a spring scale to the handle end of a 1 foot adjustable wrench, pull the scale to tighten the nut and read the foot pounds off the scale. Eazy peezy.

Comment

• kevperro
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2017

Just received the rest of my parts. Hand assembled everything and threw it on the scale with my upper and everything minus magazine & scope is 6 lbs. 2 ounces.

Everything looks pretty sweet.

Comment

• kevperro
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2017

This barrel looks pretty nice.... hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Comment

• 41bear
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

I've followed your build with interest because I too have the Grendel bug while also favoring a budget build.

My barrel is an Anderson 5R 1/8 16 inch phosphate bought from LIMITLESS, Odin 6.5 Grendel bcg, Matrix 13 incher I had lying around (51.00). Will use CH off of other uppers so all I need to shoot are Mags and ammo.

My shooting date is around mid July and will post results then.
                            "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Lastrites
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

Surely you know your flash hider needs to be turned another 180 degrees. Hopefully it serves you well!
                              Last edited by Lastrites; 05-16-2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X