• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • negativezero
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2016

Optics Mount for 18" Grendel

Do you guys recommend 20 MOA mount for an 18" Grendel? I just bought a Nightforce Unimount that is 1.375" high with 20 MOA cant. I'm gonna put a Primary Arms 1-8x on it temporarily but im planning on putting a Viper HS-T 4-16x on it later on. Let me know what you think. Thanks
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

How many feet above sea level will you be shooting at and how far do you intend to shoot?

Comment

• negativezero
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2016

I'm probably gonna Max out at 800 yards and I'm in Utah so about 4,300'.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Better to have and not need than.......

Comment

• negativezero
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2016

So there is a benefit to having that 20 MOA cant?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

My understanding is it allows you to gain some of your adjustment in your scope back so you have more adjustment for dialing the scope during long range shooting. This is just my understanding of it I could be way off though.

I don't go past 600 and only use hold over's I don't dial so I don't use one but can see where it would be a good item to have.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

It basically forces you to zero the rifle in the lower end of its range of travel. Thus giving you more upward adjustment.

I think
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by negativezero View Post
                Do you guys recommend 20 MOA mount for an 18" Grendel? I just bought a Nightforce Unimount that is 1.375" high with 20 MOA cant. I'm gonna put a Primary Arms 1-8x on it temporarily but im planning on putting a Viper HS-T 4-16x on it later on. Let me know what you think. Thanks
                At your altitude you can probably reach 800 without the extra cant. I have shot my 20's out to 750 here at sea level and one of them has the 4-16 hst.

The hst has 75 moa adjustment. Depends on your projectile but that should get you there.

For my 100 gr Nosler bt I would be dialing 36 moa. That would be cutting it close if my zero is near the center of adjustment. I just went and counted. From my 200 yard zero I have 41 moa adjustment. That should take me to 850 with no cant. If I had your mount I would have 61 which should just barely get me to 1000
                Last edited by rabiddawg; 04-21-2017, 10:14 PM.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

You don't want your mount to limit the guns potential. An 18" Grendel with that 4-16 scope has the ability to shoot to 1,000yards which means a 20MOA mount is compulsory.

Comment

• shooter65
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2016

Spuhr 3601

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by negativezero View Post
                      Do you guys recommend 20 MOA mount for an 18" Grendel? I just bought a Nightforce Unimount that is 1.375" high with 20 MOA cant.
                      Enjoy it. I own two. Awesome scope mounts.
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• maxxmojo
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2016

Honestly I'll probably never own another scope mount that doesn't have the 20 MOA built into it, unless said mount is for a red dot.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2015

The way I check to get a rough estimate on whether I need a 20MOA mount is this:

A. How much vertical elevation your scope has (MILs/MOA) divided by two (divided by two because you're assuming your scope is going to be zeroed right in the middle of the adjustment range with a standard mount)
                          B. How many MILs/MOA you're going to need to get to the max range you want to shoot (use a ballistics calculator and plug in all the data for the load you intend to use at your elevation)

If A<B (or very close), you have reason enough to get the 20MOA mount. If your reticle has hash marks and you don't mind using them to make up the difference, this is another factor you can add in. Keep in mind that for SFP, these are only accurate at max power and with FFP, you can only use the ones you can see (may have to lower power to see more than a few mils on a high power scope)

I have the same scope (vortex 4-16) and can reach 1000yrds using my standard Aero Ultralight mount (very lightweight, I love it). I have to max out the elevation and use 2mils on the reticle, but it works. Reading the Nebraska wind at that range is another story... So to answer your question you should be good @800yrds without the 20MOA.
                          Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 04-28-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X