• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JuanC
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2017

Barrel break in ammo?

Plan on breaking in my Alexander Arms 18" barrel. Would it be best to use brass cased ammo or could I get away with using wolf steel cased ammo? I purchased 200 rounds of Hornady SST but feel like I'm wasting it breaking in a barrel. Thanks guys
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Don't waste that hornady breaking in a barrel. Send it to me and I will run it thru my barrels which didn't require a break-in.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Just shoot the ammo your gonna regularly shoot. The whole point of breaking in a barrel is to clean up any small burrs and fill any small voids with copper. Don't use a bi-metal jacketed bullet for that. Sight it in, shoot a five shot group. If it shoots good, shoot another, so on. When it starts shooting crappy, clean it with Butch's bore shine. Shoot some more. If it goes back to shooting good, it's broken in. Clean it when it tells you to. Every barrel is different. You may get 25 rounds between cleanings, or 250 rounds. Just watch your groups.

ETA: not trying to be a smart aleck, I just hate to see people waste money on ammo and barrel life breaking in a barrel.

Richard
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• tomc
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

I recently asked Alexander Arms what they recommended for breaking in a new barrel from them. They said to shoot 5-10 rounds, then do a quick cleaning. Then increase the round count by 5 and do another quick cleaning. Do this several times, increasing the round count each time.

Comment

• mdram
          Warrior
          • Sep 2016

Gale McMillian had some thoughts on break-in

6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.
          just some targets for printing
          https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
          X