X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Glad to hear they got back to you, I hope they will get it worked out.

Comment

• pajasonc
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Retro View Post
      I received an answer from AA first thing this morning. Here is their answer;

"Michael, I am aware of the posts on the Grendel forum. We have asked the moderator to advise these customers to contact us as you have done. To date you are the first person to actually send in something to us with this issue. Please be assured that we will find out what the issue is and correct if need be. Please go to our web site and complete the repair form from this link. "

I have been in communication with someone there via their Facebook page and am sending the barrel, BCG, and upper in for inspection and repair if they figure it's not just stupid on my part. So far, so good. AA seems to be good to go and if anyone else is having an issue with one of their barrels you need to contact them. I'm very happy with their response and time involved with communication
      Mine is on its way back to them. See what they say when they get a look at it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Its very easy to remove a barrel that has been bedded with Blue Loc-tite. Just tap it out with the receiver insert, hardly takes any effort at all when I have done it on several uppers.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Retro
          Warrior
          • Jul 2016

Hmmm.....I didn't think of that. Thank you for the tip. My thought process was to use and steel punch and I didn't think that would have been a good idea so I just sent the whole upper, barrel and BCG to AA. They wanted to BCG to come along so it worked out OK. In the future if I need to remove a bedded barrel I will use the receiver insert as you suggest.
          Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Its very easy to remove a barrel that has been bedded with Blue Loc-tite. Just tap it out with the receiver insert, hardly takes any effort at all when I have done it on several uppers.

Comment

• JuanC
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2017

Any updates on this post. I'm having a similar problem with my 18" AA barrel. My bolt won't go into battery and if I put some hornady in the chamber they don't come out easily. My bolt teeth have been smashed also.

Comment

• Retro
              Warrior
              • Jul 2016

I"ve sent the barrel to AA and they called and told me that they received it and I should have it in a couple of weeks. There was another poster on the forum that had the same problem and he sent his barrel in also. His is already back and he posted that although factory ammo won't quite fall out with gravity the barrel now shoots fine. I'll post when that barrel comes back and I can get out to shoot it.
              Originally posted by JuanC View Post
              Any updates on this post. I'm having a similar problem with my 18" AA barrel. My bolt won't go into battery and if I put some hornady in the chamber they don't come out easily. My bolt teeth have been smashed also.

Comment

• Retro
                Warrior
                • Jul 2016

AA contacted me yesterday, Friday 12, to tell me that my upper was broken. It appears from the pictures that it was damaged in shipment. Steve, with AA said it looked like it had been crushed in a vice. AA took off the bad upper and I had one of theirs installed. Anyway, to the issue of the barrel; Steve was going to shave a small amount of material with a special reamer from the chamber. He texted me at 6:30 West Coast time, 9:30 their time to tell me that the upper was installed the barrel fixed and then he added,

"Michael, your extractor will not function with our AA barrel extension. Your extractor is too tall. Definitely not mil spec. I installed you a new 6.5 Grendel extractor, your upper works great now. Bill Alexander recommends no charge for the extractor. $19.90 is the usual cost of this repair."

This is one of the Lehigh group buy bolts. The bolt is built great but just didn't work with my AA barrel extension. If anyone is having a problem you might want to look at the extractor on your bolt. AA is an excellent company to deal with so I just want to give a big shout of thanks to Matt, Steve and Bill Alexander for such great service.
                Last edited by Retro; 05-14-2017, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• Retro
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2016

Which bolt are you using. I'm not saying anything bad about the Lehigh but AA determined that the extractor was too tall for their barrel extensions (at least on the one that I received). One of their armorer's replaced the extractor on mine and says that it works great now. If you aren't able to figure it out contact AA I'm sure that they will make it right.
                  Originally posted by JuanC View Post
                  Last edited by Retro; 05-14-2017, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• Ditcher
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

That's interesting with the extractor. Is the Faxon barrels in the GB are being made to AA specs you would think people would be having issues with the GP bolts and barrel combo. But I haven't heard of any issues. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Comment

• Retro
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2016

I think it's just one of those things that there's no real answer to. I just received another text from Steve at AA this morning about the barrel and all that he indicated was that the chamber was good to go. He ran a new reamer through and basically it just had dust on it.
                      Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
                      That's interesting with the extractor. Is the Faxon barrels in the GB are being made to AA specs you would think people would be having issues with the GP bolts and barrel combo. But I haven't heard of any issues. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

The messes I get into.

I have a group buy bolt and am planning on an AA barrel...

Comment

• Texkitch
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2017

FWIW.....I have a 16 AA fluted I got in February matched with a group buy bolt and no issues with the bolt. Actually, I received an AA bolt later as it was delayed. I tried the AA bolt once and had a few stove pipes so it's on the shelf and I went back to the Lehigh group buy bolt.

Comment

• Retro
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2016

It could just be a 1 in a 100 issue. Steve from AA texted me after replacing my extractor saying that he put 2 magazines through and there were no longer any FTF issues.
                            Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                            The messes I get into.

I have a group buy bolt and am planning on an AA barrel...

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                              It could just be a 1 in a 100 issue. Steve from AA texted me after replacing my extractor saying that he put 2 magazines through and there were no longer any FTF issues.
                              It probably is... but it still kinda takes the wind out of my sails.

My first two rifles basically fell together and had no issues. All this talk of short chambers isn't really encouraging.

Comment

• Retro
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2016

This is the first rifle that I've built that had any real problems that I couldn't troubleshoot and fix. I doubt that I would have ever figured out the extractor problem. This is the fifth AR that I've built for myself and I've helped friends build in the neighborhood of another fifteen. What's funny is that I took a bolt out of another rifle and it worked better but not perfect. I'm just happy that AA is such a good company to work with. I'm going to take the rifle out as soon as it arrives to test it out (at least if the weather co-operates here in Washington).
                                Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                                It probably is... but it still kinda takes the wind out of my sails.

My first two rifles basically fell together and had no issues. All this talk of short chambers isn't really encouraging.

Comment

Working...
                                X