• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

New 16" Hunting build.

Very proud of this build. Everything went togather slick, and is functioning perfectly thus far. Surpassed my expectations.

Ruger AR556 lower
    BCM upper
    Odin Works 16" barrel, BCG, tunable gas block
    Geissele SSA-E
    DPMS miculek comp
    Midwest industries gen 2 ss 15"
    Pepr mount and Redfield Revolution TAC 3-9 (super light combo)
    Magpul offset buis
    Harris 6-9 SBRM
    BCM charging handle
    Magpul stock
    Ergo grip
    Magpul bad lever

Using 123 Black ammo for break in. Functioned perfectly with the C-product mags, groups averaged 1", brass looks sexy after ejection, nice clean little pile at 3:00 - 3:30. I'm a very happy guy. Can't wait to stretch the little 16" legs this summer with my handloads, then blast some whitetail/black bear this fall.

Update: replaced the scope/mount combo with an Aero Precision ultralight extended mount (3 oz), and a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 CDS (10 oz) and swapped the DPMS Miculek break for an Odin Works Atlas 6.5.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kilco; 09-10-2017, 06:50 PM.
  • brassbrite
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Very nice setup! How much does it weigh? I'm looking to build a super light weight hinting rig myself.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Tbh I haven't put it on a scale yet, but it's quite light. Especially when I take the bipod, and TLR game spotter off, but I've been using those on night patrol for all the crutters waking up for the spring here in maine. Skunk/racoon/porcupine and groundhogs.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I have a Redfield Battlezone 3-9 that's been sitting on a shelf for a while. Put it on my 22 Nosler build as a placeholder and I couldn't believe how light it was. Took it to the range and couldn't believe how clear the glass was. Turned it over and couldn't believe that a scope I paid around $200 for wasn't made in China. When I was breaking it in, guy next to me with a new Weatherby Tacmark Elite with a Nightforce ATACR (an $8k+ rig) couldn't believe I was ringing steel at 750 yds with it.

Some day I'll build a spare/blemished parts truck gun around it.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I've taken my 16" 5.56 with handloads to 620 yards frequently with the Redfield Revolution TAC enough to trust the turrets at that range as well as the reticle on 9x. Clip of my wife doing just that

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Nice! Is that with a stock trigger?
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

It's the geissele ssa-e trigger.

Comment

• Slinkz
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2016

Looks good, details for the light?

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Slinkz View Post
                  Looks good, details for the light?
                  Just a TLR game spotter I use for my coyote bait spot 100 yards out behind my house, skunks and racoons at night as well. Spring time in maine all kinds of critters come crawling out of the wood-work.. works well for what it is.

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

Took it out to the same 620 yard steel target today using the ELD black ammo up with absolutly no drama at all. At 660ft above sea level I dialed in 20.25 moa and it was spot on. Could be my favorite rifle at the moment! Looking foward to LR-52 to get on so I can give him a thanks... really went of alot of his advice in posts regarding this build and the parts specs, and it paid off in every regard. Guy really knows his s***.

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

Some range results.. Factory Black is moving at 2440fps, exactly where Hornady claims it should be out of a 16" pipe. All my testing was done with the 123 AMAX at 2.255 COAL, Hornady brass and CCI 450 primers.

For 8208XBR, 28.5gr shot the best. Averaging 2460 fps, grouping consistantly at .75. No pressure signs evident, case web still at .441, primers round with a slight ejector swipe. I've learned from loading for my 204 Ruger, 8208 can spike very suddenly, so I didn't push the envelope from there.

CFE223 showed some awesome velocity, but even at accuracy nodes 1" grouping was the best I could muster. SD and ES were EXTRMEMELY impressive though... I mean oddly impressive.. like single digits SD and ES through multiple charge weights. At 31.6gr I was just under 2500fps, with no evident pressure signs, but the groups starting REALLY opening up, 2" at least.

Leverevolution mimicked cfe223 from 30 to 31.6gr, in both velocity and accuracy. So much so that it was eerie..

Maybe playing around with OAL will tighten up the CFE223 loads... I have ASC, C-Products, and a E-lander 4 rounder landing today to mess with OAL in magazine.

Overall I'm very happy. This is a hunting rifle primarily, so the temp insensitivity of 8208 combined with the way it shoots made me giggle.

Last edited by Kilco; 09-10-2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Ditcher
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

You have to hook that light up to a car battery? LOL JK Nice build. How's the recoil?

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

The rifle weighs 7.5 pounds all equipped. With the muzzle break, the recoil is similar to a 223... My wife and young children will be shootong/hunting with it as well, or else I would deff go with a flash hider, because man that thing is loud.

Comment

• matkal
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2014

Nice rifle! I'm looking to build a similar rifle, also for hunting hogs and white tail.

How close did the barrel fit your receiver? And if it was on the loose side, what did you do if anything, to get a better fit?

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by matkal View Post
                              Nice rifle! I'm looking to build a similar rifle, also for hunting hogs and white tail.

How close did the barrel fit your receiver? And if it was on the loose side, what did you do if anything, to get a better fit?
                              This was without a doubt the tightest barrel/reciever fit I've ever assembled. I had a thin coat of blue loctite, but it was more than likely unesassary. It took a little extra love to get it in flush.

Comment

Working...
                              X