• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

How many Lowers?

How many lowers does one person need? It seems having one lower, with the best trigger and grip would be most important to consistent feel.

A backup may be needed in case of malfunction.

I have one lower with a good trigger and two others with the Milspec trigger and I don't want to touch the lowers with Milspec triggers.

IMHO, the crappy triggers are responsible for more bad shooting than anything else.

I have read on this site a few times. Good Barrels, Good Triggers and Good Scopes. Everything else is cosmetic.
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

I like the rule of thumb of one lower per upper...

You can switch uppers but I like having complete rifles.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

The answer is personal, I would suspect. I have two; a rifle lower and carbine lower. It's my suspicion that the carbine lower is actually not perfectly tuned for my 16" Grendel barrel. It could use a heavier buffer.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

one for each upper at a minimum
        then maybe a spare
        then maybe an sbr
        ect
        ect

with them coming down in price possible a stripped spare or 2
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

It does seem most convenient to have one for each upper. But the triggers on all the uppers can't have the same feel unless they are identical.
          That means you feel the break at different points. Of course they could be works of art then the trigger feel doesn't matter.

I don't even want to start about how many bolt carriers and bolts. I know one bolt per barrel since they wear into the locking lugs. I currently have one too few bolt carriers or one too many bolts. Oh Oh. I'm losing count.

Comment

• kevperro
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

I don't like swapping although I've done that for a period. I have one that is pretty basic that goes with my generic 5.56 build. I'm building another "balls-out" version that is going with my Grendel that has a fixed stock and all the upgraded goodies I want for shooting at the range.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

For me it has to be 1 to 1. By having a lower for each upper my entire family can hunt together with identical guns and ammo.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• drewthebrave
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                How many lowers does one person need? It seems having one lower, with the best trigger and grip would be most important to consistent feel.
                After building my first AR15 in 5.56 with a simple PSA complete upper, I slowly put together a nicer precision-oriented upper with higher quality components. After spending a few range trips swapping uppers back & forth on my sole lower, I quickly realized that the cost savings of having one lower to swap multiple uppers onto was just not worth the trouble. I currently have 3 lowers with 4 uppers, but plan on evening that out soon. I'd say a 1:1 ratio (or close to it) is ideal.

Not every gun needs to have the same trigger. I have an SSA in my long-range rig, an MBT in my do-everything platform, and an ALG QMS in my pistol lower. All the parts in each build are tailored to the intended function of the firearm. There's some overlap in capabilities, but each component was a conscious choice with consideration of the intended use, cost, and practicality.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by drewthebrave View Post
                  Not every gun needs to have the same trigger. I have an SSA in my long-range rig, an MBT in my do-everything platform, and an ALG QMS in my pistol lower. All the parts in each build are tailored to the intended function of the firearm. There's some overlap in capabilities, but each component was a conscious choice with consideration of the intended use, cost, and practicality.
                  Agreed.

My 20" iron site 5.56 has a CMMG mil-spec trigger, feels pretty good really.
                  My 16" 7.62x39 hunting/ranch gun has the same CMMG LPK, not quite as nice but not bad.
                  My 18" Grendel hunting/target rifle will have a 3# Velocity trigger.

Comment

• jcjarmon
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

I buy lowers 50 at at time, so I may not be the best to answer this question. If I was just a hunter, I would want a lower for a pistol, a carbine, and a rifle. Each with a good trigger, and stock for there intended purpose. Uppers are the hard part. I couldn't tell you how many different configurations Ive got in the safe right now. From 5 inch-9mm, to 26 inch-6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Commander184
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2016

I pull through my Geissele 2 stage no problem. I like complete riffles, if I'm in a rapid fire situation I can't tell the diffence personally. If I need to shoot 500 with a 223 I like the two stage.

That's all theoretical I have two mill spec lowers and one with a geissele that is dedicated to my 24" lilja. When I have the cash I will go to a all Geissele two stage

Comment

• diddlyv
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

I currently have 1 : 1 with a spare stripped upper in search of a smoking good deal on a barrel 18 or 22 perhaps 24 and another lower. I have a 16 inch Barrier Defense and 20 inch ODIN on carbine lowers.
                        Queen of Battle
                        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Hm, seems I'm the odd guy out.. I have one lower. I swap out all my uppers. I Like having the same cheek weld, trigger pull, and grip whenever I ready my gun..

When I build my wife her own gun, I'll get her a lower as well.

Comment

• Ditcher
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Same for me. 1 to 1. I thought about the 1 lower and have more uppers but I new I was to lazy for that. Plus more lowers the more back ups!
                            The harder question would be do you keep them to a few calibers or do you try to collect them all!?

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2016

For me it is a matter of finances for the second lower. I like buying the best I can that fits my wants. I have a 6.5 Grendel and a .223 Wylde uppers with matching bolts. They both have Leupold scopes all dialed in ready to go. I have one lower and am saving up for the second that will be identical to the first. I was told that it is great for muscle memory to have them match, but I just like the way it fits and works. My AR lower trigger is set at 3.5 pounds which feels right to me because of the AR pistol grip.
                              On all my precision hunting rifles I have Timney and Jewell triggers set at 2.5 pounds pull for safety.
                              Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

Working...
                              X