• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IPooedInYourShoe
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Which barrel? Lilja or JP?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of building a Grendel and I'm looking for an 18" barrel. I've narrowed my choices down to either a fluted Lilja 319 or a JP 18" light profile.

I'll most likely be doing most of my shooting with this thing from a bench with some occasional carrying for hunting (maybe 2-3 times per year). Ranges will primarily be from 0-600yd with an occasional trip to an 800yd range. This gun will also be used with a suppressor 80%+ of the time.

I've come down to two deciding factors really. I'm not the biggest fan of the .650 profile behind the gas block on the JP and I'm not the biggest fan of the MLGS on the Lilja (mainly because I was hoping to avoid having to use an adjustable gas block, which I figured the RLGS on the JP would help with).

So does anyone here have experience with these two and can offer some guidance/opinions?
  • Bobke
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

Have both-actually in garage as we speak-installing SLR adj GB on the JP. It's likely going to come down to a couple of personal choices on your end i.e. Barrel weight and where that weight sits/swings, barrel profile, gas control choices, with suppression in your future, would highly recommend adj GB, overall weight of package-going to carry a bunch?, do you want to run the thin profile JP with the finned cooling shroud, and so on. I don't have as much time behind the JP as the Lilja to be able to say which is more accurate, but you will have very well finished button barrels with either and I know the Lilja is a shooter and the JP sure shows it wants to. And either can be had with matched bolt and on pretty short lead time.
    Last edited by Bobke; 04-22-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

For your ranges, requirents, and supressing, you are going to want an adjustable/tunable gas block for sure
      With that in mind, give the Odin Works 16" ultralight kit a look... for the same price as almost just the barrel of the other two, you get a ILGS, 16" huntung contour all threaded, tunable gas block, BCG and .136 bolt included, MOA guarantee, and short enough that it would still be practical to carry /hunt with. Thus far I have only good things to say about mine.

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

I do not have a JP so I can't give any advice on them. They are suppose to be top notch. I do have a Lilja and it is ridiculously easy to shoot little bitty groups with it which I attribute more to the barrel than my shooting ability.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I have the JP barrel you asked about and use it to the same ranges you stated and for how I hunt it is the best for my needs.

Even with a rifle length gas I would still put a adjustable gas block on it never hurts to beable to cut the gas down as low as you can makes the gun not move as much and that helps at the longer ranges.

As for as the profile behind the gas block unless your doing mag dumps and rapid fire your not going to heat it up to fast, you don't need the JP heat sink, I don't have it and it hasn't affected the barrel at all.

The JP barrel I have loves the eld-m ammo hornady loads, but is more then accurate with any of the ammo I have tried to kill deer and hogs out to 600 yards.

Of the two the JP is going to be the light's in weight, and I wouldn't worrie to much about hunting with it and the length of the 18 inch barrel, my other rifles bolt action rifle' s and they weight more and or longer and never had a problem carrying them are useing them in tight cover so I don't see the 18 inch barrel being a problem when car ring it while hunting.

And JP customer service is second to none in my book and they ship fast.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• Commander184
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

Lilja customer service is top notch. I love my 24" bull barrel

Comment

• IPooedInYourShoe
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2017

Well, I ended up going with the Lilja 319 and to save a little on weight, I opted for the fluting option. Ordered the rest of the parts for the build tonight, I think it's going to turn out pretty nice.

ETA: Also picked up a Bootleg adjustable carrier in place of an AGB. Never been the biggest fan of AGBs as I've heard of one too many (even on the high dollar units) locking up from carbon fouling. Hopefully it works out.
              Last edited by IPooedInYourShoe; 04-24-2017, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• Blacklab
                Warrior
                • Mar 2012

Congrats on the Lilja barrel. I have a 223 and a 204 in Lilja couldn't be happier. If I or when I build another rifle it will be Lilja. Easy on the eyes and wonderful shooters.
                Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• Bobke
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2015

Have that exact barrel and you won't be disappointed in any regard-mine is a shooter, as are other two Lilja 6.5 Creedmoor barrels, one a bolt, other semi. Money load, to date, in the 319 is 120 Scenar L, 31.6 CFE and RP 7 1/2 primer at around 2500+ fps. Expect it to speed up a bit as barrel breaks in. Very curious to hear about your experience with the adjustable BCG. Good choice on the Lilja, but the JP is it's worthy competitor.

Comment

• IPooedInYourShoe
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Bobke View Post
                    Have that exact barrel and you won't be disappointed in any regard-mine is a shooter, as are other two Lilja 6.5 Creedmoor barrels, one a bolt, other semi. Money load, to date, in the 319 is 120 Scenar L, 31.6 CFE and RP 7 1/2 primer at around 2500+ fps. Expect it to speed up a bit as barrel breaks in. Very curious to hear about your experience with the adjustable BCG. Good choice on the Lilja, but the JP is it's worthy competitor.
                    Sadly, I'm not anywhere close to setup for reloading at this point, so I'll be sticking with factory loads for at least the immediate future. So far I picked up three factory loads (all Hornady, SST, AMAX, and the Black ELD) to shoot for some groups and see what performs well. If I'm not satisfied there I may pursue some other options.

Comment

• carlhwv
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                      For your ranges, requirents, and supressing, you are going to want an adjustable/tunable gas block for sure
                      With that in mind, give the Odin Works 16" ultralight kit a look... for the same price as almost just the barrel of the other two, you get a ILGS, 16" huntung contour all threaded, tunable gas block, BCG and .136 bolt included, MOA guarantee, and short enough that it would still be practical to carry /hunt with. Thus far I have only good things to say about mine.
                      I'm pricing out a hunting upper right now. I've got a good 22" 260 Rem for my ar10 platform, so figure I'll go as light as I can and see what performance I can get the velocity out of the 100gr Barnes ttsx. I thought about the Lilja, but like you, I'm looking for a light accurate rifle and for the price and noted performance, the Odin package looks good. Looks like they are offering a few differnt packages now. Which one did you go with for you build?
                      Carl
                      NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                      Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                      Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

I went with the 16" ultralite with bcg kit. Very impressed with the fit and finish. Whole package with scope and loaded mags comes in at 7.5 pounds. Perfect for my intended purposes.
                        Last edited by Kilco; 05-06-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2015

I have a rifle length gas system on my Grendel and I'm still wondering if an adjustable gas block would help... you're always going to wonder... until you try one and see how much you can turn it down.

Comment

• IPooedInYourShoe
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2017

Got the barrel in and got everything assembled.

Comment

• carlhwv
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2017

Nice! Off to the range?

Is your suppressor direct thread? What length is you handguard?
                              Last edited by carlhwv; 05-06-2017, 02:21 AM.
                              Carl
                              NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                              Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                              Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

Working...
                              X