• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rons
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Problems with my rifle!

The problem I am having is twofold! The gun jams with my reloads or factory ammunition. The cartridge case is pinned approximately half way up by the bolt face with the nose of the bullet nearly touching the feed ramp. This occurs at anytime whether the magazine has 10, 5 or 3 cartridges in the magazines.

I don't know if this normal or not, but the primer after discharge has flowed ( not permitting the cartridge case to stand firmly) this occurs after every shot factory or hand load. I have reduced the loading trying to stop this but it continues!

The firearm is a CORE 15, Hardcore system X3, 6.5 Grendel! It has been returned to the manufacture six (6) times. I have owned the rifle for two (2) months!
  • brassbrite
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

That doesn't sound good. Check headspace. Make sure you have the right bolt for the chamber. It sounds like a chamber or a gas port/block/tube issue. But I will admit I'm a newbie to the AR world.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Six times in two months of ownership, I would not even worrie about trying to figure it out I would demand a replacement or my money back so I could shop at a diffrent retailer.

But if you do try to continue to figure it out maybe move the upper to a diffrent lower and see if problem continues, if it does the same thing try a diffrent mag that's brand new and has never been used. If that for sure didn't work and you wanted to continue I would then check the gas block, gas tube, and look for any ad normal wear on the inside of the upper and the bcg.

But I think if it was me at this point I would demand a new replacement are my money back and move on to a new company for my needs.

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Headspace!

Comment

• Bwild97
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

My Experiences

Originally posted by rons View Post
          The problem I am having is twofold! The gun jams with my reloads or factory ammunition. The cartridge case is pinned approximately half way up by the bolt face with the nose of the bullet nearly touching the feed ramp. This occurs at anytime whether the magazine has 10, 5 or 3 cartridges in the magazines.

I don't know if this normal or not, but the primer after discharge has flowed ( not permitting the cartridge case to stand firmly) this occurs after every shot factory or hand load. I have reduced the loading trying to stop this but it continues!

The firearm is a CORE 15, Hardcore system X3, 6.5 Grendel! It has been returned to the manufacture six (6) times. I have owned the rifle for two (2) months!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Your Failure To Feed malfunction with the case head halfway up the bolt face is often caused by flush ejector faces without any radius to them.

It can also be caused by under-gassing the gun, as well as over-gassing it.

More details about the malfunction will help diagnose it, mainly pics and specific info about the rifle:

Barrel length
            Gas system length
            buffer type and weight
            recoil spring length/type
            Bolt Carrier type/weight
            Magazines
            Ammo load, projectile, case, charge weight, or factory ammo details
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
              Warrior
              • Aug 2015

Did you post in the Grendel facebook group? If that wasn't you, then there are multiple people experiencing issues similar to this with Core 15. Just wanted to point out that this manufacturer seems to be having some serious QC issues.

Comment

• rons
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2017

I was not aware of this.
                They have had the firearm since Friday. I have not heard from them since I returned it!

Comment

• CCW
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2017

Two problems: 1. Primer cups standing proud after firing...then oversized chamber head space - or - if soot on neck, shoulder, AND body of case, then undercharged reloads.
                  2. Bolt face catching round case body midway up during feed cycle... then bolt short stroke due to bad magazine staging feed round off spec., or losing port-to-BCG gas pressure or undercharged reloads.

You would be going the wrong way to solve problems 1 and 2 by reducing reload powder. Weak loads starve the autoloader of the gas it needs to fully cycle the bolt. Weak loads also do not allow the case head to stretch back to the bolt face during peak chamber pressure and reseat the primer that has oozed out back.

Comment

• rons
                    Unwashed
                    • Feb 2017

The gun was returned on May 13th (seventh time). This time the cartridge would either stayed chambered after firing or the cartridge case would be captured between the bolt face and the rear upper portion of the chamber area. This is with factory or reloads. The gun would fire (3) rounds or maybe (1) and it would occur again.
                    When the gun was returned the primers did not flow nearly as much (prior to the 13th May) but the above started!
                    "IF" the gun is returned I will be using benchrest primers!
                    Thanks for all the comments!

Comment

Working...
                    X