I'm looking for a hand primer, dig. scale, chrony any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

I'm looking for a hand primer, dig. scale, chrony any suggestions?

Finally got a new job, eager to finish out my reloading equipment so I can start turning some out.

Was looking at one of these:
    The Primer Guage employs a dial indicator ensuring that each primer is seated the precise depth required. Learn more about this precise hand primer here.

Although might be Overkill, its not TOO expensive. BUT I'm willing to save up and buy once if it's worth it. Instead of buying a cheaper one and upgrading down the road once I delve deeper into LRP and loosing some $ in the end. Does anyone have one of these, or something similar? is it worth the extra cost?
    I know there's plenty of cheaper ones lee, lyman, rcbs, etc. Are they good enough? Not relishing the idea of using my Forster's primer setup. I do love the idea of not having to hand feed every primer which I think that KMshooting one does. Plus the KMshooting one doesn't​ look that ergonomic, not a huge factor but a factor none the less.

Also looking for a decent electronic scale, I'm hoping for something scientific quality as I'd use for alot of things. Trying to save some $ if possible. NOT LOOKING FOR A CHARGEMASTER YET not looking for speed or volume, I actually want to go slow and space is a premium.

I Want a chrono as well but only want to spend about $100 much more and I'll have to try out the superchrono. so if you have any suggestions there is appreciate input as always.

Thanks everyone!
  • rwh
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

This is the primer I use http://www.xxicsi.com/stainless-steel-priming-tool.html. This is a luxury item but it feels really nice in the hand and you can feel the primer seating very well.

The AND FX-120i is a very nice scale. Force restoration scales are a lot more stable than strain gauges and a lot less sensitive to electromagnetic interference. This is one place to get them, I've seen better prices elsewhere. http://www.scalesgalore.com/AND_FX_I...n_Balances.cfm

I have a magneto speed that works well for me. Yes it changes the point of impact but a load that groups with the magnetospeed on always groups the same with the magnetospeed off. The speeds I get from it have proven reliable for plugging in to ballistics calculators.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Bypass the chrono and spend a few bucks more to get a Magnetto speed. Any money you didn't spend on a chrono will be money saved because all chronos suck. At one point in time there were some horse drawn carriages that were better than others, but the world had moved on. You can strap a Magnetto on with a hot range while you need a cold range with no one down range to align a chrono with your target if your range follows proper safety rules. Magnetto put me spot on making a 900 yard second shot on 12" steel with a new load in my 308 RPR yesterday
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Have you seen the superchrono? It's not an optical sensor it actually uses audio to pickup the super sonic shockwave it's pretty bad *ss AND you can use it 1000 yards down range if you want as long as it's still super sonic at that range. VERY quick and easy to setup just mount on tripod or lay on ground if appropriate aim at POI and turn on power. The only downside would be I wish it had a wireless feedback with display and maybe control so you didn't have to go that distance to observe results. But it definitely has some fiarly big benifits. They are pretty cool, check them out:

That's a pretty sexy looking hand primer 21st makes rwh it's still hand feed but I like the technical simplicity. I don't want a guage like the km one as long as it's repeatable results.. simple is better. I'll have to check out the scales tomorrow sometime thanks.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

The superchrono looks cool but isn't that around $450? Might as well do the LabRadar Doppler for $100 more. When I said all chronos suck I meant optical sensors. They are just a PIA. And that's before they get caught in a sprinkle, get blown over by the wind or freak out because dust flies over it (a problem in my parts). And knowing your velocity at 1000 yards with the superchrono is cool, but it's a measurement effected by environmentals and wind across that distance. Best to just know your MV and environmentals, make your best wind call and let your ballistics program do the rest. I think I paid $160 for my Magnetto sporter at midway. It also stores in a little 1x2x16 or so plastic case which lives in my range bag, so it's always there if I want it. Those few extra bucks could be saved by just going with the higher end RCBS priming tool with the universal shell holder which goes for around $50-60. Those ones your looking are for the guys looking for an extra 1/4" on paper at 600 yards and who are also probably trimming metplats, sorting bullets by length to ogive, etc. If you ever get to that point and upgrade, the RCBS will still be handy for your volume/practice loads. In the meantime, just make sure your powder charges are consistent and get out and shoot!
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

There's some on Amazon for $360 although I kinda hate supporting the "other side" :l and yeah I totally agree. Not necessary just mostly a interesting feature of the super. And yeah not a fan of the optical at this point. Thats sir IS a great price on the magneto.. if def. Be interested in one around there. And I was checking out the rcbs universal and there's a good chance I'll start with that since I sold my full set of lee shell holders with my RCBS RCII and that whole setup, since my Co-Ax is pretty much universal as well. I like those setups. But I'm sure I will upgrade down the road. Just cause I know I will hate hand loading Individual primers for pistol stuff and the gains in improvement probably aren't even measurable for them.
            Thanks stone.

Comment

• CMoney
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2017

If your really jonesing for a digital...My suggestion is to bite the bullet now rather than prolong the pain. I learned from my father a long time ago...Buy once,cry once. If you think you want the chargemaster or will go that route eventually just get it. From a digital perspective I don't think it's a bad choice. It's great for production. If you do, lookup the straw trick. I have digitals from RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and a cheap FA. Of these, the Chargemaster takes the cake for convenience and consistency. The dispensing is nice and it speeds up the process.

That being said. I found that digitals are more prone to failure over time than the "old school" beams and have a much, much shorter shelf life. To this day I find myself using my beam scale the most (no batteries, works even is power is out, and shows less drift). If you do go that way, get a granite slab to put it on and ensure the jewel knife edges are cleaned. To this day I haven't seen anything near as accurate as a friends beam tuned by Scott Parker.

As for your hand primer question, that 21C linked above is a nice but like stated previously is a luxury item. Sinclair makes a good unit (http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod37732.aspx) as does Hornady and RCBS. I have all but the 21C. Of those, I used the Sinclair the most (often batch priming while watching TV after kids went to bed and wife and I were just relaxing). But honestly. Load development has shown me the priming system on the Co-Ax (I'm assuming you have as you mentioned a Forster you individually Load primers in) is just as accurate and I some cases more accurate and uses a positive stop to set consistent primer depth without crushing/damaging the anvil rather than "in hand feel". This "feel" tends to change as primers display a small variance in size across brands such as Win vs. CCI and primer pockets show variance. CCI tends to run on the larger side of the dimensional tolerance and always produce more resistance in feel. As for hand primers...choose based on how much your willing to spend as you are paying for convenience rather than something that will honestly yield a measurable increase the accuracy of your final product.

Just my $.02
              Last edited by CMoney; 04-28-2017, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• CMoney
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2017

On yea I forgot the Chrony. I second the suggested MagnetoSpeed. Definitely accurate and reduces the probability of being "that guy" who blasts his own chrony at the range. Honestly...happens more often at the range than people would want to admit/believe. Just last month I had the luxury of being in the lane next to a husband/wife team who proceed to "lights out" the new Caldwell unit the wife got him for his birthday. One shot, one kill...(Palms Face)...
                Last edited by CMoney; 04-28-2017, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• terrywick4
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I have the labradar, works well out to 75 yds or so with the Grendel.

Comment

• diddlyv
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

I have the labradar and love it. Magneto speed may change point of impact but that can be controlled by rezeroing without the device mounted. Not having one dont know if taking the weight of the muzzle actually would cause a different load to shoot better than the best group load with the device mounted.
                    Queen of Battle
                    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• terrywick4
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

that's why I use a limbsaver Barrel De-resonator on my 7 wsm. I got good groups without but they tightened up a lot with it. I plan to try it on my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle also.

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
                      I have the labradar and love it. Magneto speed may change point of impact but that can be controlled by rezeroing without the device mounted. Not having one dont know if taking the weight of the muzzle actually would cause a different load to shoot better than the best group load with the device mounted.

Comment

• nuthead
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

The most economical set of digital precision scales is the gemtech 250 - it will resolve down to 0.02g (which is about the weight of a single kernel of extruded powder) it's more accurate than a chargemaster and it only costs $150us from memory

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by CMoney View Post
                          If your really jonesing for a digital...My suggestion is to bite the bullet now rather than prolong the pain. I learned from my father a long time ago...Buy once,cry once. If you think you want the chargemaster or will go that route eventually just get it. From a digital perspective I don't think it's a bad choice. It's great for production. If you do, lookup the straw trick. I have digitals from RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and a cheap FA. Of these, the Chargemaster takes the cake for convenience and consistency. The dispensing is nice and it speeds up the process.

That being said. I found that digitals are more prone to failure over time than the "old school" beams and have a much, much shorter shelf life. To this day I find myself using my beam scale the most (no batteries, works even is power is out, and shows less drift). If you do go that way, get a granite slab to put it on and ensure the jewel knife edges are cleaned. To this day I haven't seen anything near as accurate as a friends beam tuned by Scott Parker.

As for your hand primer question, that 21C linked above is a nice but like stated previously is a luxury item. Sinclair makes a good unit (http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod37732.aspx) as does Hornady and RCBS. I have all but the 21C. Of those, I used the Sinclair the most (often batch priming while watching TV after kids went to bed and wife and I were just relaxing). But honestly. Load development has shown me the priming system on the Co-Ax (I'm assuming you have as you mentioned a Forster you individually Load primers in) is just as accurate and I some cases more accurate and uses a positive stop to set consistent primer depth without crushing/damaging the anvil rather than "in hand feel". This "feel" tends to change as primers display a small variance in size across brands such as Win vs. CCI and primer pockets show variance. CCI tends to run on the larger side of the dimensional tolerance and always produce more resistance in feel. As for hand primers...choose based on how much your willing to spend as you are paying for convenience rather than something that will honestly yield a measurable increase the accuracy of your final product.

Just my $.02
                          Thanks​ for advice. I already have a really nice older RCBS/Ohaus bean scale a friend gave me with a mosin I got for $50 bucks along with a Redding trickler. I bought a Redding 3BR for throwing. I can't get a electrical because I won't have room for it for a while. Space is really a premium. And indeed I do have the Co-Ax and have heard it's primer system is good. And I'll use it for my lower volume higher accuracy stuff. I just don't want to do all my high volume low tolerance 9mm and .45 and stuff like that with it. And I had no idea the electronic scales lifespan was so short. I HAVE heard mention of (maybe here) people making theirs more impervious to EMI. Which as a tinkerer I'd be inclined to do.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by CMoney View Post
                            On yea I forgot the Chrony. I second the suggested MagnetoSpeed. Definitely accurate and reduces the probability of being "that guy" who blasts his own chrony at the range. Honestly...happens more often at the range than people would want to admit/believe. Just last month I had the luxury of being in the lane next to a husband/wife team who proceed to "lights out" the new Caldwell unit the wife got him for his birthday. One shot, one kill...(Palms Face)...
                            Lol. And the poor people undoubtedly have some baffoon like me that's cursed by snickering at other people's misfortune. (It's life, you GOTTA laugh at it) In all honesty though I laugh alot at my own misery as well. I'm the guy the doctors hate to see.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                              that's why I use a limbsaver Barrel De-resonator on my 7 wsm. I got good groups without but they tightened up a lot with it. I plan to try it on my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle also.
                              Hmm. This is very interesting! I'm particularly interested in barrel harmonics. I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X