• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccasanova
    Warrior
    • Mar 2016

Alexander Arms 10.5" Upper

I've been looking at these for a while and think I'm gonna pull the trigger. With the current sale $619 + free shipping I think it's a good deal for a reputable NFA Grendel upper. Should be good for deer/hogs out to 200 yards, and will ride comfortably in the UTV loaded with cheap Wolf ammo for general blasting. I have an Omega in NFA jail and a SBR lower waiting on stamp.

Anybody else looking at the AA 10.5" upper? I doubt anyone has shot one, pretty new.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

There's a couple out there. For years, AA had what they called their "tactical" line, sort of M4 and Mk18 clones, but then they dropped that line. So there's a few out there — and it's good to see the SBR back. One guy in West Virginia shot a nice 10 pt buck a while back with his with a suppressor.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• rebby
      Warrior
      • Mar 2017

I have 2, both on very similar builds. They're great uppers. Personally, I'd grab one now w/the existing deal. They might even have a few left in stock (I waited over a year for both of mine).

Here's a (poor) pic of one of them. Quick rundown on the build;

- Six Sigma Arms Lower
      - AR Gold trigger @ 2.5lbs
      - Magpul MOE grip
      - Shockwave Blade w/QD
      - 10.5 AA Upper
      - PRI Charging handle
      - PRI QD sling mount
      - Leupold Mk 4 IMS
      - Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 CDS FD4

Mainly built these for hunting so I don't have a muzzle device attached at the moment. Will likely mount a simple flash hider though.

IMG_2271.JPG

Comment

• ccasanova
        Warrior
        • Mar 2016

Thanks for the pic. Looks handy for sure. How do you like the handguard? Seems perfect for cold weather hunting. How has accuracy been with factory ammo? I have several cases of Hornady Amax and SST.

Comment

• rebby
          Warrior
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by ccasanova View Post
          Thanks for the pic. Looks handy for sure. How do you like the handguard? Seems perfect for cold weather hunting. How has accuracy been with factory ammo? I have several cases of Hornady Amax and SST.
          I really like the AA hand guards. They're really light weight which is great, especially for my kids, and I like how easy it is to swap on/off rails as needed. They also have a slightly slimmer profile than the PRI hand guards (which has been my go-to for a number of years now). I don't like how there is no way to get them "smooth" though. Even if you pull the button head screws out, the female side protrudes from the fiberglass just a touch which is a bummer.

I just got these a few weeks ago so I haven't had much of an opportunity to run them through their paces. My hunting load of choice in my other Grendel's is the 120g TSX and that looks like it should work just fine in these as well. Initial results have been sub-inch out to 100y. I'm looking forward to stretching out the range a bit, hopefully sometime soon.

Comment

• ccasanova
            Warrior
            • Mar 2016

My only holdup is lack of adjustable gas block, because I will be shooting suppressed. I think I'm gonna go for it though.

Comment

• explorecaves
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ccasanova View Post
              My only holdup is lack of adjustable gas block, because I will be shooting suppressed. I think I'm gonna go for it though.
              IIRC from my conversation with my gun writer friend who had a rather lengthy discussion with AA, AA only uses buffers and springs to run reliably both suppressed and non-suppressed.

Comment

• rebby
                Warrior
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                IIRC from my conversation with my gun writer friend who had a rather lengthy discussion with AA, AA only uses buffers and springs to run reliably both suppressed and non-suppressed.
                Correct, they do not advocate using anything other than standard weight buffers and springs. Suppressed/non-suppressed is part of the reason for that.

FWIW, we usually buck that trend and install H2 buffers in all of our builds, Grendel's included (we're an authorized AA dealer).

Comment

• jonny rotton
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2015

whats an h2 buffer??

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Different buffer weights have been used over the years in AR-15 rifles and carbines. The heavier buffers were introduced to help functioning with shorter barrels where there was burst or full auto capability. The heavier buffer helps to slow down the cyclic rate and helps control bolt bounce.

Here is a list of the common buffers and weight.

Carbine 3 oz

H 3.8 oz
                    H2 4.6 oz
                    H3 5.4 oz
                    Rifle 5 oz

Spike's Tactical also sell

ST-T1 3 oz
                    ST-T2 4.1 oz
                    ST-T3 5.4 oz

Pistol calibers like 9 MM or 45 ACP usually have heavy buffers, around 8 oz or more. Pistol caliber AR-15's are generally blow back actions and require a heavy buffer.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-26-2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• jonny rotton
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2015

thank you vascar2 for your answer. but that opens another question. what buffers are preferred for short 556, long 556, short blkout, long blkout, short (12") 6.5g, 16" 6.5g???

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

There are varied opinions on the different buffers for the AR-15's. The buffer tube determines the buffer and spring. With a rifle length buffer tube use a rifle buffer with rifle spring. Many forum members like the JP Silent Captured Spring/Buffer. With Carbine buffer tube whether mil spec or commercial use a carbine spring and carbine buffer. Other buffers are popular but I've had no issue with the standard 3 ounce carbine buffer. H buffers and H2 buffers are popular with AR-15 carbines. Some barrels have large gas ports (like AR Stoner 18" 6.5 Grendel II) and a H2 buffer will help reduce the effects of being over gassed.

Some people will use heavier buffers and/or buffer springs when using suppressors to improve reliabilty. I personally think an adjustable gas block is a better way to adjust a rifle/carbine for use with a suppressor. For people who don't want to swap out the gas block different buffers and springs might be a solution. I have 2 16" 5.56/223 AR-15 and one 20" AR-15 and I never had a reason to change the buffers. One 16" 5.56/223 is carbine gas the other is a midlength and I don't ever remember having a malfunction with any of my three 5.56 AR-15's. I came from a LE background and I tend to keep my rifles clean and lubed.

Comment

• ccasanova
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                          I personally think an adjustable gas block is a better way to adjust a rifle/carbine for use with a suppressor.
                          I agree, and that is my only hang up with the AA vs gathering parts on my own. Guess I could always change later if needed. When the can clears I'm sure it will be attached 99%.

I have A5 lowers with multiple weight buffers as well as carbine with multiple weighted buffers to try with it.

Each of my uppers runs/feels best with a particular lower setup, but even then, has been made better with an adjustable gas block.

Comment

• ccasanova
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2016

Well, I put my order in tonight. Last day of the sale. Gotta get a pistol lower until my SBR stamp comes in.

Comment

• ccasanova
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2016

I had posted pics a while back of my 11" AA upper, but they were lost during the last forum update. I finally picked up a Vortex Gen2 Razor 1-6 and Geissele Super Precision 1.93 mount and dialed in some factory Hornady 123gr SSTs this afternoon. First 2 shots were low right and out of this pic. Made an adjustment then shot the 2 to the right. One last adjustment then the final 3 in the center. This was only at 50 yards, but propped on a pillow across my patio table (crappy setup), so I'm pretty happy with that. If it ever stops raining I'll get to the range and stretch her out. Should be a hog/deer killing machine.

IMG_5110.JPG

I'll test out some factory Hornady 123gr Amax and Wolf 100gr steel case asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X