• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clarkmaster
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

New grendel build from Middle TN

Hello all. Brand new to the forums glad to be here just built a new grendel it was my first ar build and I have to say I'm pretty proud of it haha. Looking forward to meeting and sharing information with everyone 2017-04-24 06.48.03.jpg
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Welcome! How does it shoot?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Looks good Clarkmaster, welcome to the forum!

Comment

• Clarkmaster
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2017

Thanks guys I'll let you know how it shoots after this weekend haven't gotten the chance yet

Comment

• Bruw
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2017

Looks good. Looking forward to the range report.

Comment

• Clarkmaster
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2017

Well here is the verdict. First I shot 12 rounds. 2 were wasted and didn't make the paper(this was my fault i was having trouble wit the laser bore sighter) third made it on paper I used four more getting it centered and sighted and finally shot a group of five you can see in the picture. This is all at just 50 yrds so far accuracy looks ok but I had two problems. First. I had two rounds it the 5 shot group stove pipe on me. They were #2 and #4 of the group. I suspect a gas issue. I had no problems with the carrier locking back after an empty mag though because up till now I loaded all rounds one at a time. The second problem worries me some. I would have taken a picture if I had thought. When I cleared the rifle of a round in the chamber I found two dent marks about a quarter inch apart on the case right behind the shoulder almost as if the round jammed in the feed ramps before entering the chamber. I loaded and ejected another unfired round and got the same thing. However none of the cases of the fired brass showed the same markings. What are your all thoughts on this? The barrel and bolt and mag on the gun were all bought at the same place and I would imagine are the same Mfg. Also keep in mind this is my first AR build it could be something simple as I am new to building and new to grendel. Thanks in advance
            2017-04-29 15.55.01.jpg

Comment

• Red Dawn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Welcome to the forum. what are you running a carbine a mid length or rifle gas system. Do you have an adj gas block. What kind of buffer system are you running. These may help isolate the process a bit.
              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The dents sound like the bolt is not going far enough to the rear and the lugs on the bolt are hitting just below the shoulder on the top cartridge in the mag. I've seen this before with my 16" 6.5 Grendel where I had a light load of slow burning powder which caused a short stroke and failure to feed. As the bolt goes forward it usually hasn't gone back far enough to catch the rim to feed the top cartridge. Getting stove pipes on round 2 & 4 can indicate failure to feed from the same side of the magazine. I had a ASC mag do this and comparing the feed lips on faulty mag to good mag revealed the feed lip was different. I used needle nose pliers to bend the feed lips to match my good mags. The faulty mag has been gtg since tweeking the feed lips.

Comment

• Roadie
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2017

Welcome to the forum. I did the same as you and built a grendel for my first AR15 and haven't shot it yet either as I still need glass for it. Hope you work out those issues.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Clarkmaster. Very clean looking rifle, keep us posted on accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                    X